shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with choosing an OEC

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

First time poster here, I am looking to get a old European cut diamond and am having trouble choosing and knowing what to look for in images.

I contacted Ivy and Rose about a few diamonds and was sent photos, the diamonds look to be kind of transparent with light leakage? I have asked again for a video but haven't received a reply yet. Do these diamonds have good light performance and what should I be looking for in the images?

Unfortunately, I am in Canada and unable to go visit the store in Chicago so I'm hoping someone here can help me choose or give advice on what to look for.

Thank you!
Left to right .77 .85 .91 .93 (last one is a OMC)
2.jpg 6.jpg DIAMOND.jpg

Individual diamonds in the same order. .77 .85 .91

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

https://ivyandrose.com/products/0-9...ean-cut-diamond-vintage-antique-loose-1-carat

Thanks again!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
You might get more response if you ask the mods to move this to Rocky Talky!

I can't actually get your video to work. I highly recommend posting the video to YouTube or Vimeo - sharing through Google can expose you.

They are all different flavors. Do you have link to the OMC? What are you looking for? Color preferences? Do you like flower, or snowflake patterns? Budget? I would look around at some OECs on Pricescope to get a sense for what you like. Some of us like really crisp, bubbly facets, where some of us love a bit of wonk and junk in the trunk :bigsmile:

If you aren't in love with any, there are other vendor like Jewels By Grace and Old World Diamonds

Some initial thoughts
  1. 0.77 (facets look really disorganized to me - this is my least favorite by a large margin)
  2. 0.91 (pretty wide facets, almost looks shallow but hard to tell from these photos - this one will show more color, you have to decide if thats ok)
  3. 0.85 (tiny table, going to look "puffier" from the side, notice how the dimensions are much smaller compared to the 0.91 but its close in weight? i like the facets under the table but parts look a little mushy to me but i really like this one )

Last edited:

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply! How can I get it switched over to Rocky Talky?

Here is the video:

I have the link to the OMC but I like the round shape of the OEC's better. I am looking for 0.8-1.00ct size with a budget below $2300. I like the checkerboard look and don't mind the flower or snowflake, what I really like is the big chunky facets in the OMCs.

I am also planning to set it in a yellow gold solitaire setting and am worried the gold will show through in the stone if there are light leaks.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Okay so OMC off the table

You can report your own post and ask them to move it!

In the video, my eye is draw to the left stone a lot more. It looks whiter and to me the facets are livelier

Last edited:

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
I like the left one too, it is the 0.91 ct. It looks whiter to me too, but the edges look kind of transparent?

Do you think a gold setting will make yellow show through?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Welp, I'm a sucker for just about any oec. I'm no expert :lol:
Out of these picks, the .91 is my first choice, I like the symmetry of this one the best.
I also like the .85 with it's more chunked faceting and pretty little flower.
I concur on the .77, it lacks definition.
I can't see the omc well enough, so I can't really give an opinion.
Metal color really has to do more with preference in this case.
I love yellow/rose so I would choose that to play up the slight creaminess of the stone. Most prefer white metals- it really is a matter of taste.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I like the left one too, it is the 0.91 ct. It looks whiter to me too, but the edges look kind of transparent?

Do you think a gold setting will make yellow show through?

It’s not that’s it’s “transparent “ but it has wider facts that flash on and off instead of lots of little facets reflecting light

I think it would look beautiful in any metal and it will show a nice contrast with YG since it’s bright and white

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Welp, I'm a sucker for just about any oec. I'm no expert :lol:
Out of these picks, the .91 is my first choice, I like the symmetry of this one the best.
I also like the .85 with it's more chunked faceting and pretty little flower.
I concur on the .77, it lacks definition.
I can't see the omc well enough, so I can't really give an opinion.
Metal color really has to do more with preference in this case.
I love yellow/rose so I would choose that to play up the slight creaminess of the stone. Most prefer white metals- it really is a matter of taste.

Yes if that video is the 0.91 on the left that’s my definite favorite - it doesn’t have the little “flower” in the middle but it’s really lovely to me

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the .91 best. The facet pattern is very pleasing and I expect it will be quite sparkly. I don’t think you have anything to worry about seeing YG through the stone, but if you are concerned you can take it to a local jeweler and try on a setting and rest the diamond in it (be careful to do over a soft surface in case you drop the loose stone). The report lists the girdle as “extremely thin” so I would ask the jeweler their thoughts about how you would want to set the stone and what you can do to protect the girdle.

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
I also like the .91 best. The facet pattern is very pleasing and I expect it will be quite sparkly. I don’t think you have anything to worry about seeing YG through the stone, but if you are concerned you can take it to a local jeweler and try on a setting and rest the diamond in it (be careful to do over a soft surface in case you drop the loose stone). The report lists the girdle as “extremely thin” so I would ask the jeweler their thoughts about how you would want to set the stone and what you can do to protect the girdle.

Is the thin girdle something to worry about? I am thinking of getting this setting in yellow gold with it. Its also by Ivy and Rose, I wanted to get it all done at the same place since things are more expensive here in Canada.

Does extremely thin - slightly thick mean that the girdle ranges from being thin to thick?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Is the thin girdle something to worry about? I am thinking of getting this setting in yellow gold with it. Its also by Ivy and Rose, I wanted to get it all done at the same place since things are more expensive here in Canada.

Does extremely thin - slightly thick mean that the girdle ranges from being thin to thick?

I have this exact setting from Ivy and Rose for my .56 OEC! I think it really helps protect the stone since there are more prongs around the diamond. Here are my pics for reference if you’re curious to what it would look like 8287126A-DC7F-4AF4-A3B6-8983A8BE41C1.jpeg C9F490AB-80F3-4C61-ADF9-33BF67BE004C.jpeg C97DC691-DD4D-4684-BA89-F63134B72AE2.jpeg

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks for the photos! I was emailing Ivy and Rose about the setting but they haven't got back to me yet. Can I ask if you got to choose the prong tip and if there was an extra cost to set the stone in it? Also, did you get the OEC from them too? Thanks!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I actually had that exact setting for my first engagement ring.

I honestly found it extremely uncomfortable - the shank is SO thin and the knife edge just hurt the sides of my fingers. I was also worried about the strength of the setting because the shank was only 1.5mm wide and deep (thinner in some areas with the taper) - if you are hard on your hands and want this ring to last forever I can’t in good conscience recommend it - it felt light as air in a bad way TBH

I am very picky about comfort and wanted something that felt more durable so it was a very poor fit for me and my lifestyle. I obviously like the style of I once purchased it for myself!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Wow thanks for the photos! I was emailing Ivy and Rose about the setting but they haven't got back to me yet. Can I ask if you got to choose the prong tip and if there was an extra cost to set the stone in it? Also, did you get the OEC from them too? Thanks!

I did! I asked for claw prongs and it was $50 extra. :) I actually got my diamond from Diamonds By Lauren!
Mine is really comfortable and I don’t notice it at all. I’m sorry @Cerulean yours wasn’t :( I bet your diamond was bigger than my little chip! Maybe because my diamond is so small it feels for comfortable? It does spin a little. But otherwise it feels pretty sturdy to me. But it’s also possible they’ve vamped up this setting too because of other customers who had complaints?

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
I did! I asked for claw prongs and it was $50 extra. :) I actually got my diamond from Diamonds By Lauren!
Mine is really comfortable and I don’t notice it at all. I’m sorry @Cerulean yours wasn’t :( I bet your diamond was bigger than my little chip! Maybe because my diamond is so small it feels for comfortable? It does spin a little. But otherwise it feels pretty sturdy to me. But it’s also possible they’ve vamped up this setting too because of other customers who had complaints?

Did they tell you what kind of prongs come with it? I am a size 4 finger, maybe with a smaller circumference it will feel sturdier?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Did they tell you what kind of prongs come with it? I am a size 4 finger, maybe with a smaller circumference it will feel sturdier?

I think they’re normal bullet prongs. I personally love claw prongs and asked if they’d make accommodations. They were super willing. :) I am a size 5.25, so we are pretty close! It feels lightweight but for some reason mine still feels pretty durable? It’s also very low profile so that might make it feel better too.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Mine was 2 carats! So that definitely would make a difference. I’ve learned that knife edges are hit or miss depending on who you are (I’m not alone in thinking they aren’t comfortable)

And 1/2 a carat is a far more than a little chip! PS has very skewed size standards !

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
Mine was 2 carats! So that definitely would make a difference. I’ve learned that knife edges are hit or miss depending on who you are (I’m not alone in thinking they aren’t comfortable)

And 1/2 a carat is a far more than a little chip! PS has very skewed size standards !

Did you get your stone from them too? How does this setting stack with a wedding band?

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
I think they’re normal bullet prongs. I personally love claw prongs and asked if they’d make accommodations. They were super willing. :) I am a size 5.25, so we are pretty close! It feels lightweight but for some reason mine still feels pretty durable? It’s also very low profile so that might make it feel better too.

I wanted knife edge prongs too or fishtail prongs! I hope it will be comfortable for me. Did they charge a fee to set the stone into the band?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted knife edge prongs too or fishtail prongs! I hope it will be comfortable for me. Did they charge a fee to set the stone into the band?

I paid $424 all in for the setting, claw prongs, and I *think* a small fee to put my own stone in their setting. But I can’t remember the exact amount I am sorry!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Oh wow! I can definitely see how a 2 carat stone wouldn’t be comfortable in this setting. I think that would make it spin a lot. I agree it’s not the most comfortable ring I own due to the knife edge.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm I think the .91 is my favorite, but I am not totally in love with them to be hinest

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Did you get your stone from them too? How does this setting stack with a wedding band?

I didn’t end up keeping the setting. I scrapped it so never wore it with a band. I did get my stone from them but have also since replaced it

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
Hmm I think the .91 is my favorite, but I am not totally in love with them to be hinest

Ohh, can you tell me what is putting you off? Any tips on what to look for?

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
I paid $424 all in for the setting, claw prongs, and I *think* a small fee to put my own stone in their setting. But I can’t remember the exact amount I am sorry!

Thanks though! It helps since they are kind of slow with replies. Do you stack it with a wedding band? Does it sit flush?

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
I didn’t end up keeping the setting. I scrapped it so never wore it with a band. I did get my stone from them but have also since replaced it

Ohh, I see, how was your experience working with them?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ohh, I see, how was your experience working with them?

They were nice and quick! No complaints with them as a vendor! Many people on this forum have bought from them

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks though! It helps since they are kind of slow with replies. Do you stack it with a wedding band? Does it sit flush?

I wear it alone unfortunately so I’m not sure how well it would stack! I can go play with some of my other bands when hubby is off his conference call in the bedroom. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results