color
clarity

Help With Choosing A Setting

Which One Would You Choose?

• The OG David Klass Design! - You Worked Too Hard On It

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • The Classic Tiffany Basket Style

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The Vintage Low Profile - H&A Stones Will Look Fine!

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The Classic With A Twist

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • None Of These - I’ll Add A Pic Of My Fave Below!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t either, but you know....it’s my baby. Lol! I do like the side stones on her second round better. They way they face up more. I’d keep the basket high enough to not see any metal from the top though. My original CAD is for a 7mm center and I’m bumping it down to a 6.5mm so that will lower it baaaaaarely. For side stones, I’d be ok with VS2/I because I want I/J color anyway. But only if they’re priced to reflect that! I wouldn’t want to pay a “colorless” or even “near colorless” premium when I’m getting less than. Any idea what half carats run through SG? Seems like I got a price but deleted the email.

So aside from modifying the shape of the center basket, would you make any other changes? Inquiring minds want to know :geek2: I also wonder what Sam would charge to do it? Probably comparable to DK, but in less time.
I am pretty sure the cost for 1/2 carat from SG was as cheap as $306. I was looking at some lab diamonds on stepson’s site and they go all the way down to ‘K’. Best prices are in the H/I/J color range. Most are VVS1 or VS1. I would be fine with VS2 but there doesn’t seem to be any. Very good to excellent. Yes, excellent would be great but in reality, I might not notice the difference between the two in half carat rounds. I will probably let him pick but if they are close to $1000, then it would make sense to buy mined ones instead. Other than the tilt on the baskets, I can’t really see anything else I would change. I like the prongs and don’t mind if I can see them, I like the design from the side. I would prefer the original height but I think the shoulders can be brought up slightly on the side stone baskets to meet the center rather than pushing the center down to match the sides. I think that is where the problems start happening. I also prefer a little height so a band can sit flush if I want it to.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I am pretty sure the cost for 1/2 carat from SG was as cheap as $306. I was looking at some lab diamonds on stepson’s site and they go all the way down to ‘K’. Best prices are in the H/I/J color range. Most are VVS1 or VS1. I would be fine with VS2 but there doesn’t seem to be any. Very good to excellent. Yes, excellent would be great but in reality, I might not notice the difference between the two in half carat rounds. I will probably let him pick but if they are close to $1000, then it would make sense to buy mined ones instead. Other than the tilt on the baskets, I can’t really see anything else I would change. I like the prongs and don’t mind if I can see them, I like the design from the side. I would prefer the original height but I think the shoulders can be brought up slightly on the side stone baskets to meet the center rather than pushing the center down to match the sides. I think that is where the problems start happening. I also prefer a little height so a band can sit flush if I want it to.

Sounds like you’ve got a great plan! $306 isn’t bad at all. I agree that with stones that small you probably would be hard pressed to tell a lot of difference in cut or clarity grades. I get what you’re saying about the shoulders, and like you, I’d want a band to sit as flush as possible. I don’t mind a small gap, but also would want to prevent damage to both rings from rubbing wrong. The way DK had my final CAD, a channel set band was going to fit flush with no gap.

So excited to see what you come up with! Living vicariously through others like always. :P2

BMI

Shiny_Rock
@swaye2010 Forgive me for butting in to your conversation, but since your stone is yellow I wanted to mention that the tint in synthetic diamonds is more frequently brown than any other color. I suspect you already know this, but just something to keep in mind as you are deciding on vendors and options for the side stones. I really like the unique shape of your tourmaline and I feel like the faceting would look nice with RB's or OEC's. I think it would look really pretty set N/S in @michellelynn9175's three stone ring (though I admit the oversized sunflower halo idea sounds quite intriguing :))).

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
@swaye2010 Forgive me for butting in to your conversation, but since your stone is yellow I wanted to mention that the tint in synthetic diamonds is more frequently brown than any other color. I suspect you already know this, but just something to keep in mind as you are deciding on vendors and options for the side stones. I really like the unique shape of your tourmaline and I feel like the faceting would look nice with RB's or OEC's. I think it would look really pretty set N/S in @michellelynn9175's three stone ring (though I admit the oversized sunflower halo idea sounds quite intriguing :))).
Thanks for your input. I have so many ring projects going on and there are so many micro decisions that have to be made that will affect the overall look. I will receive the gemstone today or tomorrow and I have 1/2 carat studs so I can hold them up together to see how they look. I am conflicted because there are a pair of matching OEC earrings on Ivy & Rose that I could use or possibly the lab diamonds. I have a jeweler in the family but he is in Europe so he can pick through to find me the best lab diamond ones. For that reason, I am not too worried. Mined diamonds, however, cost so much more in Europe compared to the US, so I would have to source those here.

Reactions: BMI

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you’ve got a great plan! $306 isn’t bad at all. I agree that with stones that small you probably would be hard pressed to tell a lot of difference in cut or clarity grades. I get what you’re saying about the shoulders, and like you, I’d want a band to sit as flush as possible. I don’t mind a small gap, but also would want to prevent damage to both rings from rubbing wrong. The way DK had my final CAD, a channel set band was going to fit flush with no gap.

So excited to see what you come up with! Living vicariously through others like always. :P2
Ok...I am going to just continue with the thread jack here. I got the yellow tourmaline today. As expected, it looks smaller than I would have preferred but I did end up with a flawless stone. The sun keeps going in and out so I will just post a bunch of pics. This is with my .50 carat each earrings and I am not sure what color they are since they were a Christmas gift many years ago. I would have to find the papers but they are not icy white. I would say somewhere between a G-I.

So the stone is a very lovely lemon yellow. It is picking up some colors from my phone case but it looks lighter than what is in these pics. You can definitely see the difference between the diamonds and the center but I think it really needs to be yellow gold to look right. It also looks too modern to be in an antique halo. I was sort of guessing at cuts but I didn’t want an oval really as they don’t look as nice on my fingers.

My stepson launched a new lab diamond database. I am still waiting for it to be converted into dollars properly instead of Swedish Kronor. A VVS1 is $435, VS1 is $320 and Si1 is $288. This is for 1/2 carat each. He gives it to me for cost which is good. All excellent cut and with cert’s I might just go in the middle or the bottom. It may not be a huge deal for side stones. I have so many things still to fix on other pieces so any money I can save will be good.
https://www.veandvile.com/lab-diamond-selector/
Here are the pics:
https://imgur.com/a/VhbD9H8

Let me know what you think?

I got pics of my antique cushion that just got the miligrain and engraving done. It is looking very tall like my other one. I might have the gem cutter do a recut as he said he could get rid of 30% or replace it with the Asscher aquamarine. The prongs would have to be reworked but Sam could do that at the same time as this setting.
080C09AA-28CB-4A0E-A248-295B6FF454BB.jpeg DA9C451B-EFB8-4A35-9384-6CC4D069E0F7.jpeg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Ok...I am going to just continue with the thread jack here. I got the yellow tourmaline today. As expected, it looks smaller than I would have preferred but I did end up with a flawless stone. The sun keeps going in and out so I will just post a bunch of pics. This is with my .50 carat each earrings and I am not sure what color they are since they were a Christmas gift many years ago. I would have to find the papers but they are not icy white. I would say somewhere between a G-I.

So the stone is a very lovely lemon yellow. It is picking up some colors from my phone case but it looks lighter than what is in these pics. You can definitely see the difference between the diamonds and the center but I think it really needs to be yellow gold to look right. It also looks too modern to be in an antique halo. I was sort of guessing at cuts but I didn’t want an oval really as they don’t look as nice on my fingers.

My stepson launched a new lab diamond database. I am still waiting for it to be converted into dollars properly instead of Swedish Kronor. A VVS1 is $435, VS1 is $320 and Si1 is $288. This is for 1/2 carat each. He gives it to me for cost which is good. All excellent cut and with cert’s I might just go in the middle or the bottom. It may not be a huge deal for side stones. I have so many things still to fix on other pieces so any money I can save will be good.
https://www.veandvile.com/lab-diamond-selector/
Here are the pics:
https://imgur.com/a/VhbD9H8

Let me know what you think?

I got pics of my antique cushion that just got the miligrain and engraving done. It is looking very tall like my other one. I might have the gem cutter do a recut as he said he could get rid of 30% or replace it with the Asscher aquamarine. The prongs would have to be reworked but Sam could do that at the same time as this setting.
080C09AA-28CB-4A0E-A248-295B6FF454BB.jpeg DA9C451B-EFB8-4A35-9384-6CC4D069E0F7.jpeg

Threadjack away! You know I don’t care and welcome it!

Ok, for starters, that ring you just had made is GORGEOUS. The engraving is absolutely stunning. It does look a bit tall, but not as tall as the other (might just be my imagination) but regardless....beautiful setting.

As for the new stone - equally amazing! Now that I’ve seen lots of pics and a video, I agree on both counts that you should go more modern vs antique and definitely yellow gold. Something with the prongs that will highlight the unique shape, and I think the half carat side stones look great with it and are very well proportioned.

The prices on those lab diamonds are crazy too! Is that your wholesale price or what they’re advertised for? If that’s public pricing, I might look into ordering them from him instead of the alternatives I’ve researched. If nothing else, for the side stones. I think you could easily get away with an eye clean SI1 for the sides without issue. I’d take the savings as opposed to a higher clarity that may not matter at a half carat, but that’s just me.

Have you settled on a setting yet or are you still mulling it over?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

Ok, for starters, that ring you just had made is GORGEOUS. The engraving is absolutely stunning. It does look a bit tall, but not as tall as the other (might just be my imagination) but regardless....beautiful setting.

As for the new stone - equally amazing! Now that I’ve seen lots of pics and a video, I agree on both counts that you should go more modern vs antique and definitely yellow gold. Something with the prongs that will highlight the unique shape, and I think the half carat side stones look great with it and are very well proportioned.

The prices on those lab diamonds are crazy too! Is that your wholesale price or what they’re advertised for? If that’s public pricing, I might look into ordering them from him instead of the alternatives I’ve researched. If nothing else, for the side stones. I think you could easily get away with an eye clean SI1 for the sides without issue. I’d take the savings as opposed to a higher clarity that may not matter at a half carat, but that’s just me.

I am trying to get the kids packed for Disney World. Thank God I am not going and I get a week alone...that is a vacation for me!

I don’t think there is really anything to mull over. I was going to post under ‘new posts’ in case you didn’t answer today just to get some ideas but I can’t really see it working in any other setting. I think since it is about 2.25 carats ‘flawless’ just by luck (10x7.5) and seems to be kind of deep that I really need to have 1/2 carat sides and I think they should sit almost level. I just don’t know if the center should go up or down or the should the sides go up or down to meet the center? This would also include tilting them all North instead of the sides slightly angled. I don’t mind it medium tall but not too tall when working this out. I need to look for a few more google images and maybe on David IG page for previous 3 stones. My MM ring had them level but that was a trellis and a little easier to do. I would really like to stick with your design....

I tried taking a pic with my 1/2 carat antique cushion’s put I don’t think any sort of antique stone would look right since it feels too modern. I tried to take a pic with them close up and far away so you can get a feel of scale.
1D485C46-9BA0-42BA-8315-515AA5F5346D.jpeg 4BED5841-4B7B-41C5-A2DF-3140C8739CFB.jpeg
When the center hits the light, it looks like a lemon head and when it is out of the light, it looks more like a pale yellow (not too golden which is what I was worried about). This is why I think yellow gold will be the only thing that works to play up the center. It will be too much contrast in platinum and the halo doesn’t feel right because of the strange shape I picked....I am just guessing!! It looked nice in the diagram and I didn’t think a skinny oval would look as good on my long fingers. It will be nice to have a smaller ring sometimes as some of the ones I have are huge! I think I am going to get a price from Sam tomorrow and see what he says. My stepson said he can order the lab diamonds on Monday and then everything can go out on Friday. He redid my solitaire and 5 stone too in the 3D print machine so I will finally get them. I talked to the gemstone cutter and he said he could actually cut the moissanite down on the new ring but I have to see it in person and make a decision.

The lab diamond prices are mostly at cost I think. I could probably squeeze some out pretty cheap if you ever wanted some. They are doing some system updates but I think they will be one of the few doing lab diamonds in Europe with their lab diamond database. I have been bugging him a lot because I think this is the direction to take a new business for millennials. Even though they wear smaller stones in Europe, there are still very popular larger rings like halo’s or Victorian reproduction rings that people wear as non-engagement type rings that are still very popular. It is becoming very affordable to even 1/4 for earrings or a 1/2 carat solitaire necklace can still be very popular. I just want to get some in hand so I can see the quality. I might go for the VS in the middle just so I know they are eye clean. I have to go back and look at all the details. I am going to have to go ahead and tell him to order them because I can’t wait for Sam to answer with LA time. That is a 9 hour time change so I really need to make a decision this evening and just be fine with it...!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

I think I will go for these two below. That is in the middle with VS1 and excellent cut with cert. I want them to be well cut and also not too white. I don’t mind a J color as my ‘I’ diamond still looks really white to me. I need them to be well cut though to go with the stone. You can see straight into the stone with no visible inclusions or flaws so it is at least worth trying to get some good lab diamonds. I am happy enough with the price for two 1/2 carats, that is not really that bad. Got lucky with a jeweler in the family!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I think I will go for these two below. That is in the middle with VS1 and excellent cut with cert. I want them to be well cut and also not too white. I don’t mind a J color as my ‘I’ diamond still looks really white to me. I need them to be well cut though to go with the stone. You can see straight into the stone with no visible inclusions or flaws so it is at least worth trying to get some good lab diamonds. I am happy enough with the price for two 1/2 carats, that is not really that bad. Got lucky with a jeweler in the family!

I agree 1000% that Disney is NOT a vacation. I took the kids once and never again. It was absolute torture. Haha!

I think you have it all figured out! Good choice on the color/clarity of the side stones, yellow gold, the setting I designed with maybe slight tweaks, half carat round sides. I say go for it! I’m super impatient too so I understand with the time difference in LA. I agree that the sides should maybe be higher clarity because the center is flawless. If you have any visible inclusions, it would be the first thing my eyes went to. I think a halo would hide the pretty shape too, and a Bezel is definitely out of the question IMO. That just leaves a prong type setting and I think the fluid lines of the one I designed would be really pretty with the stone shape you’ve got.

I’m so excited to see the CADs once you get started! This is gonna be fun to watch unfold!!!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I agree 1000% that Disney is NOT a vacation. I took the kids once and never again. It was absolute torture. Haha!

I think you have it all figured out! Good choice on the color/clarity of the side stones, yellow gold, the setting I designed with maybe slight tweaks, half carat round sides. I say go for it! I’m super impatient too so I understand with the time difference in LA. I agree that the sides should maybe be higher clarity because the center is flawless. If you have any visible inclusions, it would be the first thing my eyes went to. I think a halo would hide the pretty shape too, and a Bezel is definitely out of the question IMO. That just leaves a prong type setting and I think the fluid lines of the one I designed would be really pretty with the stone shape you’ve got.

I’m so excited to see the CADs once you get started! This is gonna be fun to watch unfold!!!
I am hoping for my kids it is not a nightmare because I want them to have fun but it sounds like a nightmare to me! I can’t deal with that kind of heat in July....

I was looking at DK’s IG account because I do remember a few other 3 stones on there but I didn’t like the center basket as much. I do see what looks like your ring two different times though. One is on January 6th and one is on March 6th. Is this both your ring but the March one is the fixed version? I like the March one better with the way the stones are angled.
CD6A326C-9971-4DCA-95C9-21ED7C9BC01D.jpeg

863DD33A-518C-4617-8291-63F3A66598BC.jpeg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I am hoping for my kids it is not a nightmare because I want them to have fun but it sounds like a nightmare to me! I can’t deal with that kind of heat in July....

I was looking at DK’s IG account because I do remember a few other 3 stones on there but I didn’t like the center basket as much. I do see what looks like your ring two different times though. One is on January 6th and one is on March 6th. Is this both your ring but the March one is the fixed version? I like the March one better with the way the stones are angled.
CD6A326C-9971-4DCA-95C9-21ED7C9BC01D.jpeg

863DD33A-518C-4617-8291-63F3A66598BC.jpeg

Yep! January was round 1 and March was round 2. I prefer the second one (black background) also.

And we went in October. Still absolute misery. Tons of people (even though it’s supposed to be the “off season”) huge lines, and even the kids asked when we could leave and go back to the hotel pool. :lol: Lesson learned. We did go to Discovery Cove to swim with the dolphins and that was well worth the money. Aside from that, we stick to the Gulf (Siesta Key is our favorite spot) and the pan handle. We just like to lay on the beach, eat and build sand castles. Tourist spots don’t do it for us. Tried the Keys once, but that’s not as kid friendly and the beaches are non-existent. Very rocky and no sand to speak of. No waves either. If you’re a fisherman like my husband it’s paradise though.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Yep! January was round 1 and March was round 2. I prefer the second one (black background) also.

And we went in October. Still absolute misery. Tons of people (even though it’s supposed to be the “off season”) huge lines, and even the kids asked when we could leave and go back to the hotel pool. :lol: Lesson learned. We did go to Discovery Cove to swim with the dolphins and that was well worth the money. Aside from that, we stick to the Gulf (Siesta Key is our favorite spot) and the pan handle. We just like to lay on the beach, eat and build sand castles. Tourist spots don’t do it for us. Tried the Keys once, but that’s not as kid friendly and the beaches are non-existent. Very rocky and no sand to speak of. No waves either. If you’re a fisherman like my husband it’s paradise though.
It’s Princesses on Tuesday and Discovery Cove on Thursday. They are both so pale they are going to be burnt to a crisp.It is only mom that pays attention to sunscreen. Oh well...what can you do!

I went back and looked at her rings on the face front side by side but there is not a side by side with the profile. Do you think that you could ask her for the updated CAD or maybe ask David? I think I will only like it if the baskets are faced up like she has them the 2nd time around and I don’t want to leave it to chance. Surely DK would give it to you if you asked. Can you say you saw the updates on the other thread and you want to keep an updated version of it for now? I will probably have to still pay for a CAD with Sam but I just don’t want to get it wrong because her updated version is really perfect. I was going to write to him a little later in the day after I make sure that my stepson gets the 1/2 carats in time.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
It’s Princesses on Tuesday and Discovery Cove on Thursday. They are both so pale they are going to be burnt to a crisp.It is only mom that pays attention to sunscreen. Oh well...what can you do!

I went back and looked at her rings on the face front side by side but there is not a side by side with the profile. Do you think that you could ask her for the updated CAD or maybe ask David? I think I will only like it if the baskets are faced up like she has them the 2nd time around and I don’t want to leave it to chance. Surely DK would give it to you if you asked. Can you say you saw the updates on the other thread and you want to keep an updated version of it for now? I will probably have to still pay for a CAD with Sam but I just don’t want to get it wrong because her updated version is really perfect. I was going to write to him a little later in the day after I make sure that my stepson gets the 1/2 carats in time.

You’re so right! Only moms think of that stuff typically.

I can request it, but it’s sometimes taken him more than a week to get back with me. I’ll keep you posted!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
You’re so right! Only moms think of that stuff typically.

I can request it, but it’s sometimes taken him more than a week to get back with me. I’ll keep you posted!
Ok. I will still get in touch with Sam anyways and it will take at least 10-12 days to get everything from Sweden. I am sure you wouldn’t mind having an updated copy for yourself too.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Ok. I will still get in touch with Sam anyways and it will take at least 10-12 days to get everything from Sweden. I am sure you wouldn’t mind having an updated copy for yourself too.

Yep! I’d like to compare it to my final one I approved just to see how different they are. I can’t wait to have mine made! It’s just not a priority at the moment, unfortunately.

I already emailed him so I’ll post it here when I get it, along with my final CAD so you can see the changes side by side.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Yep! I’d like to compare it to my final one I approved just to see how different they are. I can’t wait to have mine made! It’s just not a priority at the moment, unfortunately.

I already emailed him so I’ll post it here when I get it, along with my final CAD so you can see the changes side by side.
Thanks! Do you remember when you lost that moissanite in the backyard, I think it was. I opened that ring box and the yellow stone popped out and I have just been down on the ole’ hands & knees looking through all the bathroom carpets and floor for the last 20 minutes! Ugh! The earrings are stuck in the box but the stone is loose. Someone needs to invent something that holds a loose stone up so you can photograph it properly. The point makes it impossible!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! Do you remember when you lost that moissanite in the backyard, I think it was. I opened that ring box and the yellow stone popped out and I have just been down on the ole’ hands & knees looking through all the bathroom carpets and floor for the last 20 minutes! Ugh! The earrings are stuck in the box but the stone is loose. Someone needs to invent something that holds a loose stone up so you can photograph it properly. The point makes it impossible!

Oh no!!! I hope you find it! And yes, I dropped it out on the carport next to the hose and it ended up in the dirt so I could see it *fairly* easily but it took a while. You need to get some stone tweezer thingys. As many rings as you’ve had made, it would be a great investment!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no!!! I hope you find it! And yes, I dropped it out on the carport next to the hose and it ended up in the dirt so I could see it *fairly* easily but it took a while. You need to get some stone tweezer thingys. As many rings as you’ve had made, it would be a great investment!
Managed to shake it out of a carpet. I do need to get one of those thingey’s. I haven’t had too many loose stones because they have always gone straight to the jewelers. It is harder when you are trying to hold up multiple stones to see how they look together. Everyone uses their hands. They need some sort of gummy holders that you can pop different stones in in various configurations so you can see them side by side. IDK...less dangerous than having to use the cracks between your fingers!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Managed to shake it out of a carpet. I do need to get one of those thingey’s. I haven’t had too many loose stones because they have always gone straight to the jewelers. It is harder when you are trying to hold up multiple stones to see how they look together. Everyone uses their hands. They need some sort of gummy holders that you can pop different stones in in various configurations so you can see them side by side. IDK...less dangerous than having to use the cracks between your fingers!

I think you should invent that and become a millionaire! I’ve seen people use clay to stick the stones in to see how it’ll look, but that’s about it besides the stone holders. You can also get multiple ring stone holders and stack them to see how they’ll look in something like a 3 stone. Visual of what I mean:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmbjNGKn7tP/?hl=en

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, that is what I am talking about. I saw someone post about a ring that comes with different colored gemstones. It was a vintage setting on eBay and you opened the prongs and set the stone in. It made me think it would be great to have something to do different configurations with in a ring with your own stones or a mix of CZ. Halo’s are really hard to get right if you haven’t seen enough in person. I am sure someone has thought of this already but how many pics do you see on a daily basis of stones being balanced between the gaps of the fingers. Can you imagine dropping a 2 carat diamond while trying to get an outside pic?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, that is what I am talking about. I saw someone post about a ring that comes with different colored gemstones. It was a vintage setting on eBay and you opened the prongs and set the stone in. It made me think it would be great to have something to do different configurations with in a ring with your own stones or a mix of CZ. Halo’s are really hard to get right if you haven’t seen enough in person. I am sure someone has thought of this already but how many pics do you see on a daily basis of stones being balanced between the gaps of the fingers. Can you imagine dropping a 2 carat diamond while trying to get an outside pic?

I would have a heart attack.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

Got it! Driving but will post ASAP

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Ok...lots of pics to follow. Please bear with me. First one is Instagram screen shots I got from the 2 videos. I thought if I had everything here in one message it would be easier to compare.
FE3C2DFE-2E36-416D-BAE3-C4F3BF4CA589.jpeg
This is the CAD he sent me that was from the Instagram link with the black background (second iteration that we both prefer) It says 2 tone, so I was kinda confused by that. I emailed him back to confirm and I’m waiting on a response.
DFB5791C-CEBF-4184-8F92-C13F368508DF.jpeg
This is the final CAD I received from him back however many months ago.
04DC79B7-5220-478F-8727-F113700CBA52.jpeg
These are photos he sent to me shortly after I finalized my CAD. I have no idea if this is the same setting he made for a client, because he said he wanted me to be able to see the color of the unplated 14k. I don’t know if she went with unplated or not, so I’m not sure if this is the same ring as the one below thats been set.
26D8A3EC-BBBC-4DF5-B2B6-F61C6CA913F9.jpeg 68C52530-802F-49E5-85A1-99FCB68D0580.jpeg 8CDAEAB1-DD88-4F80-BF81-D4F8B11F4A1B.jpeg
These are photos he sent me with the CAD, and he stated that this was “another rendition that was made.” I assume this is the first version for that same client? Who knows.....such tiny details, it’s hard to tell what changes were made.
2D110245-9089-46F9-8463-F01A140A5F7F.jpeg 14EC8DF1-06F3-4BCB-BD5C-97EB19B0453E.jpeg 2174BD6F-500A-45F9-85AB-00F93C32DEAF.jpeg
I hope this helps instead of confuses you more! Lol

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Ok...lots of pics to follow. Please bear with me. First one is Instagram screen shots I got from the 2 videos. I thought if I had everything here in one message it would be easier to compare.
FE3C2DFE-2E36-416D-BAE3-C4F3BF4CA589.jpeg
This is the CAD he sent me that was from the Instagram link with the black background (second iteration that we both prefer) It says 2 tone, so I was kinda confused by that. I emailed him back to confirm and I’m waiting on a response.
DFB5791C-CEBF-4184-8F92-C13F368508DF.jpeg
This is the final CAD I received from him back however many months ago.
04DC79B7-5220-478F-8727-F113700CBA52.jpeg
These are photos he sent to me shortly after I finalized my CAD. I have no idea if this is the same setting he made for a client, because he said he wanted me to be able to see the color of the unplated 14k. I don’t know if she went with unplated or not, so I’m not sure if this is the same ring as the one below thats been set.
26D8A3EC-BBBC-4DF5-B2B6-F61C6CA913F9.jpeg 68C52530-802F-49E5-85A1-99FCB68D0580.jpeg 8CDAEAB1-DD88-4F80-BF81-D4F8B11F4A1B.jpeg
These are photos he sent me with the CAD, and he stated that this was “another rendition that was made.” I assume this is the first version for that same client? Who knows.....such tiny details, it’s hard to tell what changes were made.
2D110245-9089-46F9-8463-F01A140A5F7F.jpeg 14EC8DF1-06F3-4BCB-BD5C-97EB19B0453E.jpeg 2174BD6F-500A-45F9-85AB-00F93C32DEAF.jpeg
I hope this helps instead of confuses you more! Lol
It makes sense but I am not sure the CAD with the red marking is any different than the other one? It looks to be about the same because it shows it with the band so that must be your CAD and not her’s. The baskets still look angled. I don’t know if you have her name to ask David? I assume her updated it because they usually send it to a 3D printer these days to cast unless is he casting by hand still.

I think the first set of pictures without the stone is the one he did of your’s originally when he cast it because i remember those pic’s on the DK thread on WB. The second pics with the set stone is the first version of her’s. The last few pics shows the ring looking quite squat so I think this is her first version as well.

Do you think he has an updated CAD for the 2nd version of her”s? I know this is a pain to ask. I held off for a day because I didn’t want to confuse whomever I was going to send it to. I keep trying to factor in the shipping costs of getting these stupid lab diamonds and I don’t know if it might be easier just to mail my stone to Sweden. All the shipping/custom’s issues are always such a problem to get anything done.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
It makes sense but I am not sure the CAD with the red marking is any different than the other one? It looks to be about the same because it shows it with the band so that must be your CAD and not her’s. The baskets still look angled. I don’t know if you have her name to ask David? I assume her updated it because they usually send it to a 3D printer these days to cast unless is he casting by hand still.

I think the first set of pictures without the stone is the one he did of your’s originally when he cast it because i remember those pic’s on the DK thread on WB. The second pics with the set stone is the first version of her’s. The last few pics shows the ring looking quite squat so I think this is her first version as well.

Do you think he has an updated CAD for the 2nd version of her”s? I know this is a pain to ask. I held off for a day because I didn’t want to confuse whomever I was going to send it to. I keep trying to factor in the shipping costs of getting these stupid lab diamonds and I don’t know if it might be easier just to mail my stone to Sweden. All the shipping/custom’s issues are always such a problem to get anything done.

That is her updated CAD for the second version. I confirmed with David and even sent the IG link with the black background. Not sure why it shows 2 tone but that’s her stone sizes too, so I don’t think I’m getting misinformation.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
That is her updated CAD for the second version. I confirmed with David and even sent the IG link with the black background. Not sure why it shows 2 tone but that’s her stone sizes too, so I don’t think I’m getting misinformation.
Ok. Just so I am not confused, the picture with the black background and the CAD with the red are the ones with the changes?

I am thinking about mailing the yellow stone to my stepson. I would love Sam to do it but I already asked him to do the Asscher aquamarine and I think two new rings at full retail is going to be getting pretty expensive. Since I have the outline of a CAD and the stones to work with, it seems like it would be pretty easy. I just need to get these lab diamonds. They are asking for ridiculous shipping costs if you don’t buy a minimum and if it becomes too hard, I will just get them from Cherry. I don’t mind if they come back as ‘I’ colored because that is what I am after. When my stepson had his jeweler look at them, they still came up as VS1 but the cut was ‘very good’ and not excellent. I am sure if I request a better cut, she can give it to me. I think he paid $335 for .50 carat. I assume that is still retail. At least I hope that is so I can buy two of them. If it starts creeping up toward $1000, I can probably do better over here. Stay tuned!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Just out of human interest since I know you like the comparison’s too. It was easy to figure out which one was lab diamonds and which was moissanites. The lab diamonds on the bottom are from SG and the top 5 stone was made by Tianyu.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Moissanite...ond_band/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Ok. Just so I am not confused, the picture with the black background and the CAD with the red are the ones with the changes?

I am thinking about mailing the yellow stone to my stepson. I would love Sam to do it but I already asked him to do the Asscher aquamarine and I think two new rings at full retail is going to be getting pretty expensive. Since I have the outline of a CAD and the stones to work with, it seems like it would be pretty easy. I just need to get these lab diamonds. They are asking for ridiculous shipping costs if you don’t buy a minimum and if it becomes too hard, I will just get them from Cherry. I don’t mind if they come back as ‘I’ colored because that is what I am after. When my stepson had his jeweler look at them, they still came up as VS1 but the cut was ‘very good’ and not excellent. I am sure if I request a better cut, she can give it to me. I think he paid $335 for .50 carat. I assume that is still retail. At least I hope that is so I can buy two of them. If it starts creeping up toward $1000, I can probably do better over here. Stay tuned!

Yes, that’s my understanding. The black background photo and this link:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BurL0xil6fY/comments/?hl=en

They both match the CAD in the top photo with red that says 2 tone. It makes sense too, because her center stone was actually larger than my CAD, but she had it lowered. You can see where there’s a height difference in hers and my final one, even though it’s 7mm vs 7.42mm. If you read the comments it also confirms the stone sizes.

I haven’t had a chance to study all of them, but DK told me to let him know which CAD I wanted to work from. At this point I’m pretty lost, lol.

And thanks for the comparison! I’m always interested in those. I’ve been on the road literally all day so I need to sit down and do an in depth comparison.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I’m also kinda loving the wider band. It’s 2mm thick and 2.8mm wide vs mine, which is 1.8mm thick and 2mm wide. Makes it look more bespoke as opposed to a mass produced piece if that makes sense?

I can also see now where the side stones face up more, and I definitely prefer that. I just don’t know if I like the more slender side stone baskets. Mine look more rounded. And I think I like the taller center basket on mine too. Hmmmm....

What direction are you thinking of going?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I’m also kinda loving the wider band. It’s 2mm thick and 2.8mm wide vs mine, which is 1.8mm thick and 2mm wide. Makes it look more bespoke as opposed to a mass produced piece if that makes sense?

I can also see now where the side stones face up more, and I definitely prefer that. I just don’t know if I like the more slender side stone baskets. Mine look more rounded. And I think I like the taller center basket on mine too. Hmmmm....

What direction are you thinking of going?
I keep trying to get so many things done while the house is quiet I missed everything. I was looking at the changes on my phone and didn’t zoom in to see all the measurements changed. I thought it was just the baskets.

I pretty much agree with everything you said. I like it a little wider and thicker. It is almost the same as my Meghan measurements and it is comfort fit, which I like.

On the CAD, the side baskets look the same but maybe they were polished a bit more or it could have been due to the center stone size. I do like your’s better with the higher center basket though. I am hoping that will naturally happen because this gemstone is actually pretty deep and I am dealing with a slightly oval shape. I sent out all the info and I am just waiting to hear back in the morning. I am ready to get this rolling...!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results