color
clarity

Help With Choosing A Setting

Which One Would You Choose?

• The OG David Klass Design! - You Worked Too Hard On It

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • The Classic Tiffany Basket Style

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The Vintage Low Profile - H&A Stones Will Look Fine!

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The Classic With A Twist

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • None Of These - I’ll Add A Pic Of My Fave Below!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
So I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus compared to how frequently I was on here before, but I’m looking at settings again and weighing out my options. As some of you know, I was working with DK on a custom three stone. Soon after I finalized the design, it showed up on Instagram where he made it for another customer. Now, I don’t fault him or the customer for doing this, he has to make a living and I couldn’t afford it at the time. No hard feelings. But you can imagine it kinda took the wind out of my sails, and some of the excitement out of owning a one of a kind piece.

Since then I’ve taken a step back and regrouped and now I’m reconsidering my original design. I was just curious what others opinions were on a setting. For information’s sake, I’ll be getting white gold (possibly unplated because I like the warmth) and more than likely I/J stones since I’m not color sensitive and I love the vanilla look of lower range stones. I have settled on a 1 carat center and half carat sides, so they’ll be 5/6.5/5. I’m also a size 8 finger if that matters. Take into consideration I’ll get H&A stones, so the vintage settings concern me a bit. I love them but I’m not sure if the stones will “clash” with the setting. Maybe I’m overthinking it? If so, feel free to chime in on that too. Lol

Ok, on to the fun part. This is the original. Well, original 2.0 since the orientation of the stones was changed from my final CAD, but I actually prefer it. So that’s a bonus if I go this route. Someone already got it and tweaked it to make it perfect.
249F480F-35C1-4366-AF31-454504D26DE4.jpeg
Second is a basic Tiffany style. Simple and clean baskets, either with the cathedral rounded like the classic or pinched in slightly like the top pic. Either way, a very streamlined approach.
E56392DF-D4C3-48F5-9C87-A03A23FABB4D.jpeg 332FC830-6650-4733-A67E-D6ACF016D982.jpeg
The next three are vintage with 6 or 8 prongs on each stone. I’d probably go with 6 since my stones are smaller and a slight cathedral shoulder. Still white gold, definitely unplated. I’m just loving the low profile of these, whereas I wouldn’t get that with many other styles. I adore these but I’m worried a H&A stone will look out of place in them. Am I wrong?
FC94AA8B-B1D7-4507-84CD-7E8CC51B3992.jpeg ED9BC003-EE58-485D-B060-80A9161362E2.jpeg 4E490D8A-1091-41E3-AC51-6A48491F5D39.jpeg
Lastly, I’ve had this on my Pinterest board forever. It’s fairly low set, and similar to the Tiffany style with a twist. I’m just not sure I love a 4 prong basket.
16C88062-D57E-4790-8953-557D21D4E98F.jpeg
Or maybe none of these and I need to start at square one :lol: If that’s your choice, attach a pic of what you love. Maybe you can change my mind!

Thank you to everyone who made it this far :appl:

llc328

Rough_Rock
I love the first setting you worked so hard on! And to be honest, a design you designed will
never remain a one of a kind piece ..... I designed many rings with David and Amy and they have been copied many times over, some exactly the same and some were tweaked ... just take it as an awesome compliment .... I do love the 3 stone you designed best!....

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I love the first setting you worked so hard on! And to be honest, a design you designed will
never remain a one of a kind piece ..... I designed many rings with David and Amy and they have been copied many times over, some exactly the same and some were tweaked ... just take it as an awesome compliment .... I do love the 3 stone you designed best!....

Thank you for that! And I know someone was bound to have them make it at some point, I just wish I was the first. Not their fault by any means! It just made me pause for a bit and think about it a little more. And I absolutely do take it as a compliment. Out of the literally thousands of designs out there, they picked mine. Pretty crazy!

Plus the FFJ threads have slowed down slightly recently so I thought I’d add one into the mix, you know, for science. :lol:

Thanks for your input!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Please make your original design. The rest of them are not that interesting honestly. I don’t think the setting is too ‘vintage’ to go with modern rounds. I think it will look perfectly fine. The OG setting isn’t the full ‘Victorian’ look that some of the last posted pic’s are.

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium
someone recently had a beautiful three stone made along the lines of the lines of those vintage "crown"-y settings, done with David Klass. i don't think H&As would look out of place at all but i will link the thread so you can see how DK executed that design, its one of my favorite PS rings! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/three-stone-oec-ring-victorian-replica-owd-dk.248179/

that being said though, i really adore your original design! i know it sucks that someone else had it made before you but it is still stunning imo.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Please make your original design. The rest of them are not that interesting honestly. I don’t think the setting is too ‘vintage’ to go with modern rounds. I think it will look perfectly fine. The OG setting isn’t the full ‘Victorian’ look that some of the last posted pic’s are.

Thanks for weighing in! And I think you’re probably right and I should just go for my design. I appreciate your honesty about the others being uninteresting. That makes me feel a lot better, actually! :lol-2: I agree that mine will be ok with MRBs, I was just worried if I did any of the Victor Barbone-esque designs, it might clash. Different eras for cuts vs setting styles might read a bit “off.”

I think Tianyu’s loose stone prices have gone down a bit, because I can get mine for $119 shipped for all three. Granted that’s I/J but it still seems lower than before. No complaints from me though!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
someone recently had a beautiful three stone made along the lines of the lines of those vintage "crown"-y settings, done with David Klass. i don't think H&As would look out of place at all but i will link the thread so you can see how DK executed that design, its one of my favorite PS rings! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/three-stone-oec-ring-victorian-replica-owd-dk.248179/

that being said though, i really adore your original design! i know it sucks that someone else had it made before you but it is still stunning imo.

Thanks for the kind words. And yes! I was definitely following that thread! Her ring is absolutely gorgeous. I feel like old cuts and yellow gold might be the best route for that style of setting. Since I’m wanting white gold, my original design may look the best.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I guess I just needed some affirmation that my design wasn’t completely out in left field and should be reconsidered. There are so many tried and true options out there that may fit the bill too, but it’s hard to find something that speaks to me like what I dreamed up. Another vote for OG Frankie!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for weighing in! And I think you’re probably right and I should just go for my design. I appreciate your honesty about the others being uninteresting. That makes me feel a lot better, actually! :lol-2: I agree that mine will be ok with MRBs, I was just worried if I did any of the Victor Barbone-esque designs, it might clash. Different eras for cuts vs setting styles might read a bit “off.”

I think Tianyu’s loose stone prices have gone down a bit, because I can get mine for $119 shipped for all three. Granted that’s I/J but it still seems lower than before. No complaints from me though!
Stick with your design...it is the right choice for what you were trying to do. I like the Victor Barbone style as well but that won’t look as good with modern rounds and in the beginning you were trying to stay away from the antique cuts. Your design will be timeless...heck, I might even copy it one day but I have been waiting for you to get it done first!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Stick with your design...it is the right choice for what you were trying to do. I like the Victor Barbone style as well but that won’t look as good with modern rounds and in the beginning you were trying to stay away from the antique cuts. Your design will be timeless...heck, I might even copy it one day but I have been waiting for you to get it done first!

Noooooooo, do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT wait on me. PLEASE!!! If you love it that much and would appreciate it like I do, by all means, do it!!! Plus it’ll give me someone to talk about it with and I can live vicariously through you. Lol! I promise you, I wouldn’t be the slightest bit offended. I assure you, all my bitter posts come from frustration with our finances (ie: a pity party) and definitely not toward any jeweler or client. It would actually be quite a compliment if you had one made. Feel free to tweak it how you like. Cross my heart I wouldn’t be the least bit upset.

Soooooo......who would you have do it? Asking for a friend. :lol:

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words. And yes! I was definitely following that thread! Her ring is absolutely gorgeous. I feel like old cuts and yellow gold might be the best route for that style of setting. Since I’m wanting white gold, my original design may look the best.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I guess I just needed some affirmation that my design wasn’t completely out in left field and should be reconsidered. There are so many tried and true options out there that may fit the bill too, but it’s hard to find something that speaks to me like what I dreamed up. Another vote for OG Frankie!

well if validation is what you need, i'll give it to you! i think the original setting you designed is gorgeous and very well thought out and would look wonderful with the stone sizes + the unplated white gold. in my opinion, three stone settings are probably one of the harder types of settings to nail down. i have a ruby that i thought about putting into a three stone but i became so overwhelmed with the entire project that i completely changed the setting's direction. so the fact that you designed this and truly love it means something and you should just go for it! i'd hate for you to set this into another one of the settings and then think "i should've gone with the original". a lot of hard work went into that setting and you can proudly say its your design! when are you planning to start the project?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yessss go with the original!!!!! It's gorgeous and you worked hard on it. 100% stick with it!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
well if validation is what you need, i'll give it to you! i think the original setting you designed is gorgeous and very well thought out and would look wonderful with the stone sizes + the unplated white gold. in my opinion, three stone settings are probably one of the harder types of settings to nail down. i have a ruby that i thought about putting into a three stone but i became so overwhelmed with the entire project that i completely changed the setting's direction. so the fact that you designed this and truly love it means something and you should just go for it! i'd hate for you to set this into another one of the settings and then think "i should've gone with the original". a lot of hard work went into that setting and you can proudly say its your design! when are you planning to start the project?

Awwwww, thank you SO MUCH for that! I really cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. I agree that three stones are difficult to pin down because when you find a center basket you like, it’s really a chore to figure out how to tie the side baskets in with it. You don’t want it to look like 3 setting glued to a band. They have to integrate and marry together to form a cohesive design. I think that’s why we see so many variations of the same classic designs, but not necessarily anything “new.” I scoured the Internet for literally weeks trying to find inspiration and kept coming across the same pictures and links no matter how hard I tried. It’s either that or I’m just really bad at googling. :lol:

As far as starting, we went through a big financial hardship last year when I began this journey. It’s taken a really long time to bounce back, and I just can’t justify a purchase like this until we’re back where we need to be. In the meantime, I browse PS and Wedding Bee fairly often and look at all the projects that are going on. Living vicariously through others if you will. Things are on the upswing though and I’m hopeful that I can order the stones soon, and send them off to David within the next few months. I know it’s not an expensive project, especially in comparison to about 99.9% of the others on here and other forums, but it’s a luxury item and I just don’t have that luxury yet. :(2

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Yessss go with the original!!!!! It's gorgeous and you worked hard on it. 100% stick with it!

I think you’re right. I’m afraid if I deviate from the original I’ll regret it. I appreciate all of you talking some sense into me!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your original setting. but I'm biased as I have the same "petal" shape basket on mine =) I think you should go for it! And like you said it's been tweaked and perfected which you get to benefit from now instead of being the guinea pig. =)

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I like your original setting. but I'm biased as I have the same "petal" shape basket on mine =) I think you should go for it! And like you said it's been tweaked and perfected which you get to benefit from now instead of being the guinea pig. =)

I absolutely agree! Had she not gotten it before me, I wouldn’t have known the side stones needed to be tilted in toward the center stone slightly. It’s all about taking something and spinning it to be a positive IMO. Definitely the silver lining!

Here’s the before (top) and after (bottom) screen shots off DKs IG. I think this orientation (the second iteration) is important to get the right look, especially since my side stones will be larger in comparison to the center stone.

1AB2B412-CEBC-4CA2-ABEE-7D2DAED5925C.jpeg

And just for fun, here’s a side by side of stone sizes in the plastic model. This solidified my decision to go with half carat sides and a 1 carat center. (5/6.5/5) The photo on the right is 5.25/6.75/5.25 and surprisingly I think I like the smaller stones. Weird, I know.

0FA47DB2-6E34-45C1-8C5F-65FD740CA0B0.jpeg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the photo on the left with the stone sizes you chose has a really nice balance. looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted for your original setting. You worked so hard on it and designed something beautiful. I think if you do anything else, you’ll regret it. I have a three stone similar to the second one you posted and it’s fine but the one you designed is SO MUCH BETTER!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for your original setting. You worked so hard on it and designed something beautiful. I think if you do anything else, you’ll regret it. I have a three stone similar to the second one you posted and it’s fine but the one you designed is SO MUCH BETTER!

I’m starting to agree with everyone’s advice. I think you’re absolutely right and I’ll regret going any other direction. I’m glad people love it as much as I do!

Now to start saving my pennies to put toward actually getting it. :lol:

Thanks for the kind words! :kiss2:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Noooooooo, do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT wait on me. PLEASE!!! If you love it that much and would appreciate it like I do, by all means, do it!!! Plus it’ll give me someone to talk about it with and I can live vicariously through you. Lol! I promise you, I wouldn’t be the slightest bit offended. I assure you, all my bitter posts come from frustration with our finances (ie: a pity party) and definitely not toward any jeweler or client. It would actually be quite a compliment if you had one made. Feel free to tweak it how you like. Cross my heart I wouldn’t be the least bit upset.

Soooooo......who would you have do it? Asking for a friend. :lol:
I just got the pictures of a yellow tourmaline that I had cut for pretty cheap and it ended up being flawless but on the small side. I was really hoping it would end up being 3 carats so I could put in that RC vintage solitaire but it is only 2 carats. Gemstones already face up smaller so I would really have to halo it or do a 3 stone. What would you think of this in your setting with two 1/2 carat rounds? I was thinking just to get some lab diamonds and do 14K yellow gold. Have too many projects going again and the shape didn’t quite work for the antique halo that I was after either. Sometimes the rough dictates the shape unless you buy something cut. What do you think?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gemstones/...urmaline/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I just got the pictures of a yellow tourmaline that I had cut for pretty cheap and it ended up being flawless but on the small side. I was really hoping it would end up being 3 carats so I could put in that RC vintage solitaire but it is only 2 carats. Gemstones already face up smaller so I would really have to halo it or do a 3 stone. What would you think of this in your setting with two 1/2 carat rounds? I was thinking just to get some lab diamonds and do 14K yellow gold. Have too many projects going again and the shape didn’t quite work for the antique halo that I was after either. Sometimes the rough dictates the shape unless you buy something cut. What do you think?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gemstones/...urmaline/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Yes yes YES!!! :appl:I think that’s an amazing idea!!! The yellow gold would look fantastic with this stone too. :kiss2:

Would you have it created by DK, Sam or did you have someone else in mind?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Yes yes YES!!! :appl:I think that’s an amazing idea!!! The yellow gold would look fantastic with this stone too. :kiss2:

Would you have it created by DK, Sam or did you have someone else in mind?
I am debating....I think it will look good in yellow gold too although I am still getting used to the idea of yellow gold. I just need to see about the costs of the lab diamonds. Maybe 1/2 carat might be too big? The center is 10x7.5 but I know it is going to feel small. I have seen versions of this ring where the side stones are slightly smaller or where they are much smaller. Maybe it will be better to go with .35-.40 instead for some contrast. I know DK can easily do this ring but I will probably either send it to Sam or my stepson. I just don’t want to wait 6 month’s to see it. I need to price out the lab diamonds and see if it is cheapest through SG. I also don’t know if those should be warmer to go with the center or whiter for contrast. I haven’t done as many gemstone rings so there are more color details to think about...thoughts? Also, do you have an updated CAD that shows the changes that were made. I didn’t quite understand what you said about the baskets. Was it just the tilt?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I am debating....I think it will look good in yellow gold too although I am still getting used to the idea of yellow gold. I just need to see about the costs of the lab diamonds. Maybe 1/2 carat might be too big? The center is 10x7.5 but I know it is going to feel small. I have seen versions of this ring where the side stones are slightly smaller or where they are much smaller. Maybe it will be better to go with .35-.40 instead for some contrast. I know DK can easily do this ring but I will probably either send it to Sam or my stepson. I just don’t want to wait 6 month’s to see it. I need to price out the lab diamonds and see if it is cheapest through SG. I also don’t know if those should be warmer to go with the center or whiter for contrast. I haven’t done as many gemstone rings so there are more color details to think about...thoughts? Also, do you have an updated CAD that shows the changes that were made. I didn’t quite understand what you said about the baskets. Was it just the tilt?

Hmmmm.....now you’ve got my wheels spinning. Lol! I love the look where the sides are larger, but I think it really depends on what you’re going for. With an oval, and those dimensions, I think I’d be inclined to go slightly smaller too. Not much, but maybe the .35-.40 like you mentioned. I’m getting ready for work, but I’m going to look up a 10x7 oval three stone later tonight and see what I come up with. I know that’s not your exact shape and size, but it’ll probably generate the most results. As far as the gold color, again, depends on your taste and the desired look, but I think yellow would be gorgeous. If you’re doing diamond side stones, I’d probably opt for GH so it’s not blinding white but also not vanilla like I/J or lower would be. I plan on doing I/J Moissanite but I think going lower on the side stones with a colored center reads like you’re trying to match them. Not a look I prefer, personally. I was wanting a target ring and loved the warm low alphabet center with a yellow gold Bezel to really play it up and then white diamond melee and a white gold halo. I think that makes it look more intentional if that makes sense? I don’t blame you for not wanting to wait forever. If you have CADs, and now even real life photos where it’s been done already, anyone can do it. I don’t have an updated CAD, sorry! She actually also had the center basket lowered so it wasn’t so tall. If you look through my post history, we chatted back and forth about her changes. She said the sides were tucked under the center too much and tilted out too far so from a top view they looked more like half moons. When she had him change it, it reads more as three rounds now and to me looks more old world, which I prefer. My final CAD is posted on my thread, but she made those 2 changes as far as I know. She also had him update the prongs because the center vs side prongs looked different. She said it wasn’t cohesive enough. I hope all of this makes sense! I would LOVE for you to use it and make something amazing though!!! :kiss2:

Let me know if you want the links for those threads. I’ll help any way I can! With the lab diamond sides, have you considered just ordering some earrings from LightBox? I thought about doing that and when the necklace comes back in stock I can get one for the center, lol! I guess it depends on the price from SG. I’d love to know how they stack up price wise! I’d definitely consider them for my own ring if the price is right.

I’m looking very forward to this project! :appl:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm.....now you’ve got my wheels spinning. Lol! I love the look where the sides are larger, but I think it really depends on what you’re going for. With an oval, and those dimensions, I think I’d be inclined to go slightly smaller too. Not much, but maybe the .35-.40 like you mentioned. I’m getting ready for work, but I’m going to look up a 10x7 oval three stone later tonight and see what I come up with. I know that’s not your exact shape and size, but it’ll probably generate the most results. As far as the gold color, again, depends on your taste and the desired look, but I think yellow would be gorgeous. If you’re doing diamond side stones, I’d probably opt for GH so it’s not blinding white but also not vanilla like I/J or lower would be. I plan on doing I/J Moissanite but I think going lower on the side stones with a colored center reads like you’re trying to match them. Not a look I prefer, personally. I was wanting a target ring and loved the warm low alphabet center with a yellow gold Bezel to really play it up and then white diamond melee and a white gold halo. I think that makes it look more intentional if that makes sense? I don’t blame you for not wanting to wait forever. If you have CADs, and now even real life photos where it’s been done already, anyone can do it. I don’t have an updated CAD, sorry! She actually also had the center basket lowered so it wasn’t so tall. If you look through my post history, we chatted back and forth about her changes. She said the sides were tucked under the center too much and tilted out too far so from a top view they looked more like half moons. When she had him change it, it reads more as three rounds now and to me looks more old world, which I prefer. My final CAD is posted on my thread, but she made those 2 changes as far as I know. She also had him update the prongs because the center vs side prongs looked different. She said it wasn’t cohesive enough. I hope all of this makes sense! I would LOVE for you to use it and make something amazing though!!! :kiss2:

Let me know if you want the links for those threads. I’ll help any way I can! With the lab diamond sides, have you considered just ordering some earrings from LightBox? I thought about doing that and when the necklace comes back in stock I can get one for the center, lol! I guess it depends on the price from SG. I’d love to know how they stack up price wise! I’d definitely consider them for my own ring if the price is right.

I’m looking very forward to this project! :appl:
I should get the stone on Tuesday. A 2 carat gemstone is going to look smaller than an equivalent diamond. I am so hoping I am not disappointed in the size but it did end up being a flawless cut so I shouldn’t complain. If I were to make them all the same size, it would take 1 carat rounds and that would get pretty expensive unless I did moissanite. The Lightbox ones aren’t bad but they are still $1000 for the 1/2 carat earrings. I could find a pair of used mined rounds or OMC earrings that I could pull apart for the same price. I have some .50 carat each earrings so I will line them all up together and you can tell me what you think.

Do you have the user name of the person that did your ring with DK? I just wanted to get a better look at the pic’s. I don’t mind the height too much and I can see what she is saying about the tilt on the side stones. I have seen a few people do a 6 prong setting on the side stones. I can’t remember now if it was here or on DK’s page. I wonder if I should set the stone this way? You are right about the G/H being a good contrast. It is sort of a buttery color gemstone and would be hard to match with diamonds. I do think 14k yellow gold will play up nicely though.
387ECA7E-1F75-4C38-89DF-D2587FF0B634.jpeg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I should get the stone on Tuesday. A 2 carat gemstone is going to look smaller than an equivalent diamond. I am so hoping I am not disappointed in the size but it did end up being a flawless cut so I shouldn’t complain. If I were to make them all the same size, it would take 1 carat rounds and that would get pretty expensive unless I did moissanite. The Lightbox ones aren’t bad but they are still $1000 for the 1/2 carat earrings. I could find a pair of used mined rounds or OMC earrings that I could pull apart for the same price. I have some .50 carat each earrings so I will line them all up together and you can tell me what you think.

Do you have the user name of the person that did your ring with DK? I just wanted to get a better look at the pic’s. I don’t mind the height too much and I can see what she is saying about the tilt on the side stones. I have seen a few people do a 6 prong setting on the side stones. I can’t remember now if it was here or on DK’s page. I wonder if I should set the stone this way? You are right about the G/H being a good contrast. It is sort of a buttery color gemstone and would be hard to match with diamonds. I do think 14k yellow gold will play up nicely though.
387ECA7E-1F75-4C38-89DF-D2587FF0B634.jpeg

Wow, that’s such a pretty stone! I cannot wait to see it finished. I considered 6 prongs on the side stones, but since they’ll be on the smaller side, I decided to do 4, but keep them NSEW as opposed to four corners. I didn’t want them to look too blocky and tried to mimic the center stone without covering too much of it with prong work.

Here’s the link for the thread where the ring was done, and redone: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ee-if-the-stone-has-obstruction.245420/page-5

And this is my final CAD so you can compare it to the first and second iteration that DK did. *As far as I know*, she lowered the center basket and changed the tuck/tilt of the side stones and that was it.

upload_2019-6-29_23-42-38.jpeg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that’s such a pretty stone! I cannot wait to see it finished. I considered 6 prongs on the side stones, but since they’ll be on the smaller side, I decided to do 4, but keep them NSEW as opposed to four corners. I didn’t want them to look too blocky and tried to mimic the center stone without covering too much of it with prong work.

Here’s the link for the thread where the ring was done, and redone: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ee-if-the-stone-has-obstruction.245420/page-5

And this is my final CAD so you can compare it to the first and second iteration that DK did. *As far as I know*, she lowered the center basket and changed the tuck/tilt of the side stones and that was it.

upload_2019-6-29_23-42-38.jpeg
I was skimming through your conversation on the other thread. It looks like she lowered the center basket and tilted the sides inward which caused the rounds to be partially covered from bird’s eye view making them look like half moon’s...did I get this right? I think lowering the center basket is a mistake. I like it a bit higher. It wasn’t even that tall to begin with. Not sure about the tilt. You have the plastic model....what do you think?

Other versions like the ‘Maria’ show a tilt. I like the NSEW prongs but I don’t get too bothered by them when seen from the top if they are done well. I have been scouring the internet for some .50 carat each OEC’s. The only place I can find matched pairs is on Ivy and Rose. They have some modern ones too but still in the $1000 area. I really think they need to be .50 each to look right. Still wondering which way to set the stone. I have enough finger space to have it go East/West. That is the one problem with the design is that the center is not round. Not a huge problem but I am trying to imagine it in my head.

I can’t quite figure out if the gemstone would be considered modern or antique? I had originally wanted to do the RC vintage setting and I can almost imagine that as a 3 stone too. Or an oversized sunflower halo...I am confused....

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I was skimming through your conversation on the other thread. It looks like she lowered the center basket and tilted the sides inward which caused the rounds to be partially covered from bird’s eye view making them look like half moon’s...did I get this right? I think lowering the center basket is a mistake. I like it a bit higher. It wasn’t even that tall to begin with. Not sure about the tilt. You have the plastic model....what do you think?

Other versions like the ‘Maria’ show a tilt. I like the NSEW prongs but I don’t get too bothered by them when seen from the top if they are done well. I have been scouring the internet for some .50 carat each OEC’s. The only place I can find matched pairs is on Ivy and Rose. They have some modern ones too but still in the $1000 area. I really think they need to be .50 each to look right. Still wondering which way to set the stone. I have enough finger space to have it go East/West. That is the one problem with the design is that the center is not round. Not a huge problem but I am trying to imagine it in my head.

I can’t quite figure out if the gemstone would be considered modern or antique? I had originally wanted to do the RC vintage setting and I can almost imagine that as a 3 stone too. Or an oversized sunflower halo...I am confused....

I’m not sure if she had the side basket orientation changed at all on her first ring, but on the second ring, DK did something to level them out so they can be seen completely from a top down view. I hope that makes sense! I kinda like where the stones are set at similar heights, because it maintains that old world feel. I didn’t want the center stone super high in comparison, but I feel like lowering it would mess up the look I was going for. I was very adamant that the center stone basket NOT be seen from the top. I didn’t want it to look like a flower (think CvB Dahlia and the like) and I just wanted to see the edge of the girdle, and the prongs. This meant the stone sitting higher, which I was ok with. Wearing the plastic model, I don’t feel like it’s too tall at all. It would appear even shorter once completed because the model’s prongs are sticking up around the stones, giving the illusion of more height.

I was also trying to visualize an East/West orientation for the center but I think for me personally I’d like the elongated look of it being North/South. If you weren’t doing a three stone I may feel differently, but since it’ll already have quite a bit of side to side coverage with the side stones, I think you’ll be fine with a regular N/S orientation. Either way will be gorgeous, but that’s my opinion. With the NSEW prongs on the side stones, I also preferred the band coming up to a prong as opposed to a block of metal stopping and a prong on either side, if that makes any sense at all. Lol!

For me, the stone reads more modern because of the cut. I think H&A stones would compliment it nicely, but you really can’t go wrong either way. That’s the same thought process I was struggling with on my ring. I adore the OWD crown setting (they just created a three stone version) but I just think it deserves old cuts. I’d love to get a trio of those wonky ACCs from LAD and put them in an 18k YG crown setting! A big bold halo would be amazing too, but I selfishly want you to use my design. :lol:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not sure if she had the side basket orientation changed at all on her first ring, but on the second ring, DK did something to level them out so they can be seen completely from a top down view. I hope that makes sense! I kinda like where the stones are set at similar heights, because it maintains that old world feel. I didn’t want the center stone super high in comparison, but I feel like lowering it would mess up the look I was going for. I was very adamant that the center stone basket NOT be seen from the top. I didn’t want it to look like a flower (think CvB Dahlia and the like) and I just wanted to see the edge of the girdle, and the prongs. This meant the stone sitting higher, which I was ok with. Wearing the plastic model, I don’t feel like it’s too tall at all. It would appear even shorter once completed because the model’s prongs are sticking up around the stones, giving the illusion of more height.

I was also trying to visualize an East/West orientation for the center but I think for me personally I’d like the elongated look of it being North/South. If you weren’t doing a three stone I may feel differently, but since it’ll already have quite a bit of side to side coverage with the side stones, I think you’ll be fine with a regular N/S orientation. Either way will be gorgeous, but that’s my opinion. With the NSEW prongs on the side stones, I also preferred the band coming up to a prong as opposed to a block of metal stopping and a prong on either side, if that makes any sense at all. Lol!

For me, the stone reads more modern because of the cut. I think H&A stones would compliment it nicely, but you really can’t go wrong either way. That’s the same thought process I was struggling with on my ring. I adore the OWD crown setting (they just created a three stone version) but I just think it deserves old cuts. I’d love to get a trio of those wonky ACCs from LAD and put them in an 18k YG crown setting! A big bold halo would be amazing too, but I selfishly want you to use my design. :lol:
You are probably right about it looking more modern. I am going to check with my stepson to see what he can get some 1/2 carat lab diamonds for. He tried the SG ones and said they were much warmer than stated and the cut wasn’t as good as what he was getting from another company. I would like to keep the side stones as cheap but as big as possible because if I have Sam make this setting, it is going to cost me a lot more. I think my stepson could do it, but I am worried about the things that might need to get tweaked and getting my point across. Trying to explain sometimes in a different language can be challenging.

I like the prongs in the design as is, but you are right about seeing all the stones at the same height. My Meghan ring was like that. So the main thing would just be the orientation of the baskets and how to make an oval center work with the 6 prong center. The video of the stone didn’t look as skinny as what a 10x7.5 would seem like. I guess I will know more on Tuesday when I receive it.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
You are probably right about it looking more modern. I am going to check with my stepson to see what he can get some 1/2 carat lab diamonds for. He tried the SG ones and said they were much warmer than stated and the cut wasn’t as good as what he was getting from another company. I would like to keep the side stones as cheap but as big as possible because if I have Sam make this setting, it is going to cost me a lot more. I think my stepson could do it, but I am worried about the things that might need to get tweaked and getting my point across. Trying to explain sometimes in a different language can be challenging.

I like the prongs in the design as is, but you are right about seeing all the stones at the same height. My Meghan ring was like that. So the main thing would just be the orientation of the baskets and how to make an oval center work with the 6 prong center. The video of the stone didn’t look as skinny as what a 10x7.5 would seem like. I guess I will know more on Tuesday when I receive it.

Oh I can imagine! It’s hard enough getting my point across in English, lol! I can’t wait to see the stone. I think once you can hold it and stare at it, your decision will be more clear. The changes to the center basket shouldn’t be too difficult I wouldn’t imagine, but I’m no jeweler. o_O

Sad to hear about SGs lab diamonds not being up to snuff. Hopefully your stepson can hook you up and you can use him for both the setting and the side stones. It’s always nice to be able to save where you can!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I can imagine! It’s hard enough getting my point across in English, lol! I can’t wait to see the stone. I think once you can hold it and stare at it, your decision will be more clear. The changes to the center basket shouldn’t be too difficult I wouldn’t imagine, but I’m no jeweler. o_O

Sad to hear about SGs lab diamonds not being up to snuff. Hopefully your stepson can hook you up and you can use him for both the setting and the side stones. It’s always nice to be able to save where you can!
He is going to check on some lab diamonds for me tomorrow. SG’s colorless came back as ‘I’ very good cut VS 2 after he bought one and got it certified by a lab. I didn’t want to pay extra for the cert’s for his because it didn’t seem necessary but then I would be gambling with the quality. The company he is using is in Israel. I guess it would bother me more if this was my e-ring regarding perfection but this is like ring #10, so you know....

I have Sam doing an aquamarine in an Art Deco setting so it would be great to save a bit on this one. I would just want them to get the design right though. The thing is I thought the design was perfect until I started reading the other thread...LOL. Only to get to the end of it and it was changed because she didn’t like the changes she made. Other than possibly tilting the baskets, i can’t really see anything wrong with the design?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
He is going to check on some lab diamonds for me tomorrow. SG’s colorless came back as ‘I’ very good cut VS 2 after he bought one and got it certified by a lab. I didn’t want to pay extra for the cert’s for his because it didn’t seem necessary but then I would be gambling with the quality. The company he is using is in Israel. I guess it would bother me more if this was my e-ring regarding perfection but this is like ring #10, so you know....

I have Sam doing an aquamarine in an Art Deco setting so it would be great to save a bit on this one. I would just want them to get the design right though. The thing is I thought the design was perfect until I started reading the other thread...LOL. Only to get to the end of it and it was changed because she didn’t like the changes she made. Other than possibly tilting the baskets, i can’t really see anything wrong with the design?

I don’t either, but you know....it’s my baby. Lol! I do like the side stones on her second round better. They way they face up more. I’d keep the basket high enough to not see any metal from the top though. My original CAD is for a 7mm center and I’m bumping it down to a 6.5mm so that will lower it baaaaaarely. For side stones, I’d be ok with VS2/I because I want I/J color anyway. But only if they’re priced to reflect that! I wouldn’t want to pay a “colorless” or even “near colorless” premium when I’m getting less than. Any idea what half carats run through SG? Seems like I got a price but deleted the email.

So aside from modifying the shape of the center basket, would you make any other changes? Inquiring minds want to know :geek2: I also wonder what Sam would charge to do it? Probably comparable to DK, but in less time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results