shape
carat
color
clarity

Help With CADs for Cushion Halo With Split Shanks!

RockAndRoll2006

Rough_Rock
Hey all! As I continue forward searching for the right center stone, ERD has provided me my first CAD of the setting. I'd love to hear all feedback/suggestions. The general look I'm going for is split shank cushion shaped halo in platinum for a 1.35 ct. round brilliant diamond. Id' like it to be lower profile, sturdy, but also dainty. She wanted the diamond in the halo to sit low and requested a halo that wont often "snag" on things and so she can wear it while still being fairly active. That being said, since my girlfriend has a size 4 finger, I'd like the shanks to be fairly thin. I would like a hidden diamond set on either side in the basket area. I have ~1.44mm diamonds from each of our families to be placed as the hidden stones.

So here are the CADs. My 2 cents of what I like/don't like are below the images...
rnhs1.jpg

rnhs2.jpg

rnhs3.jpg

I understand rings look more bulky as CADs. I few of my own initial reactions:

-I don't like the pave that was done. It looks very "gear like" and there does seem to be quite a bit of metal showing. Anyone know what kind of pave work this is? I think I like the pave work on this ERD ring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBI5p17RP7U

-Secondly, it seems the cathedral is still set pretty high.

-I'm not sure if I like the design created in the crown on either side of the hidden stone. Here was the influence pic of this space:
image4.jpg

Thanks in advance for feedback! As I get recommendations and further CAD renderings I will post to this thread and eventually will post the final product!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the point size on that? I think the diamonds are too big and the halo/shank is too large personally.

I agree about the pave.

I don't think the ring is very high. But, you can ask about lowering.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with Gypsy on everything.

The halo is low enough. You don't want it lower if she wants to wear a wedding band.

RockAndRoll2006

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1404597619|3707455 said:
What is the point size on that? I think the diamonds are too big and the halo/shank is too large personally.

I agree about the pave.

I don't think the ring is very high. But, you can ask about lowering.

I'm awaiting a reply from ERD on the point size, but in our back and forth he recommended for the halo no bigger than 1.1mm, so seems pretty small! Not sure if it just looks too big in the CAD. I'm also going to recommend the shanks be 1.6mm in width. We also go resized today and found out she's a 3 1/4 finger, rather than 4.

Any other feedback/suggestions are appreciated.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People wear a larger size usually with a wider ring, so if they sized her with a thin band sizer, I would go up a quarter size.

I think they need a new CAD program, because I see other jewelers with more realistic CADs than they have. It makes it hard to translate into what the ring will really look like.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there!

Since I had ERD do a similar ring, I thought I would post some information to help. Attached are a couple of my final CAD pictures (except I changed the halo shape slightly) and I will also post a link to my final ring for your reference. The halo and "splits" both have 1.1mm melee which translates to 1.7mm each split and halo (to allow for the melee setting and miligrain on ring). I wanted my split to be very subtle, so it has a 2.8mm opening in between the splits and the splits are short then join to a single shank. Note my ring has brightcut melee which will show a bit more metal particularly for the miligrain, whereas yours is most likely v cut and less metal. It would seem your splits should be slightly smaller than mine given that. The profile measures 7mm from top of the diamond table to the top of finger, which is a very low profile. You can ask ERD for that information. I am guessing yours is about the same. I have some profile shots of my ring on my SMTB thread you can check out.

ERD CADs are bulky unfortunately, so it is tough to tell how delicate the ring will be in real life. One thing ERD pointed out to me was that the CAD shows the overall design of the ring, but it doesn't show an exact replica of how the melee will look once finished. The melee is hand set (at least mine was), so the melee will be finalized by the setter. I was really happy with how mine turned out!

I really love the profile you have chosen...it is really pretty!! With your girlfriend's small finger size, have you thought about having the splits join to a single shank like mine? The only reason I mention it is because the ring will be pretty wide on the bottom of the shank for her. You may want to ask ERD how wide it will be on the bottom shank. It seems like it would have to be 3mm+.

I did a quick look at your recent posts and noticed you are still looking for a diamond? I would assume you are aren't moving forward with making the ring until you find a diamond right? You will want the halo to fit your exact diamond so I thought I should mention that! Did you consider having ERD source your diamond? I had them source one for me a year ago (my avatar), so it is an option for you. Good luck!

Final ring
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/change-of-plans-my-new-erd-ering-or-rhr.201029/

CADs
final_cad_v2.png final_cad.png

RockAndRoll2006

Rough_Rock
Thanks all so far for suggestions. Tweeter I'm glad you posted. I actually was showing your CADs and final product to my gf last night. She and I both liked the slightly more pointed corners that you went with in your cushion halo rather than the completely rounded look!

I would love ERD to find a way to both keep the shanks wide enough and gradually meld them together into one. I really how yours did that, but I'd want it to come down just a touch lower. Maybe they can join at the point where the pavé ends (on current CAD, about 9 stones down).

Yes, I have been discussing with ERD about diamond possibilities. If the right thing comes along (through them), I'd absolutely get it with them. And no we wont move forward with the setting until we have the diamond. I had reflected to Chris roughly what size I am shooting for. Once I get the diamond, I will definitely be sending that (along with the two family hidden stones) for placement in the setting that will be sized specifically for the stone.

So for now, the comments/feedback I'll be sending to chris include:
1. Size melee and what is the width of both the halo and the shanks. Recommending 1.6 to 1.8 mm and would like them to meld seamlessly into one shank (rather than 3mm+ combined band).

2. I am not a big fan of the pavé on the setting either. t looks kind of gear-like. Are they able to do mushroom pave? I'd like to have minimal amount of metal between the pave diamonds.

3. In addition to other parts that do look bulky, the amount of metal surrounding the hidden stone also looks to be a bit much. Would your team be able to create a CAD with a different design similar to image above.

4. It's also tough to tell the shape of the Halo from that image. I'd like to halo shape itself to be less rounded, more pointed (similar to tweeters).

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, I am glad you like my halo! The shape is such a personal preference so it is great you have your GF involved! Just send ERD a link to my ring and Chris should recognize it. It was shipped 4/17 and you can also reference the ring on their Facebbok page. It was posted there on 4/22. Also, I will attach with image Chris sent me of the final halo shape.

I am sure they can do a wider split than mine into a single shank, but I suppose there is some point where you might need the double shank to get the wider split you want. Chris for sure can help with that.

I agree that the metal surrounding the hidden stone looks bulky, but hard to tell if that is just the CAD! Definitely bring it up!

As far as type of pave, I am not an expert there. Here is a link to the ERD thread in case you haven’t seen it. I would look through there and find the kind of pave you do like and send him a link. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-erd-brilliantly-engaged-thread.192763/

One final thought, I didn’t mean to imply you don’t have a nice selection stones already to pick from by mentioning ERD (I checked out your other thread)! Did you get idealscope images from James Allen? You get up to 3! Of the 4 you selected there, I like the last one 1.31.ct and the 1.34 ct. Also, the Whiteflash diamond would be beautiful and they have the best upgrade policy I believe.

Final Halo shape for my ring:
final_halo.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results