shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with CADS for 3 stone OEC ring please

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm in the process of making a 3 stone OEC diamond ring with a 1ct centre and. 4mm side stones. These are the first round of cads. I will also post the inspiration ring.

I like the idea but the shank seems a bit wide? There will also be engraving and milgrain added later which won't show on the cads.

Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

_16480.jpg

_16481.jpg

_16482.jpg

_16483.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
More cads

_16484.jpg

_16485.jpg

_16486.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that, Maisie!!!! It is going to be beautiful!!!! I don't think the side is too wide. I think it just looks that way since it isn't showing the cutouts and engraving.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie -

My feeling is that there's too much metal above and below the side stones - that the curve on the sides isn't strong enough. Can I ask you who's making it? Have you worked with them before, and were you able to communicate what you wanted on previous projects? I think experience with old style rings is essential for a project like this. Did you get a quote from Singlestone?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring will be made by David Klass. I haven't worked with him before but he is really easy to work with and I'm confident I will be able to communicate what I would like. Single Stone is way out of my budget.

I agree that the sides need to curve in from the centre stone to the sides. This cad is just the initial attempt. Thanks for your suggestions :)

DS, thank you for your comment. I have to try and picture the ring finished with the engraving and cads are always bulky aren't they?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Maisie, I think it is going to come out beautiful and won't appear so wide once all of the milgraining and detailing is on it. And on a slight thread jack, please direct me to the thread on your rings in your avatar? Love them!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, CADs are always bulky! But he has done a beautiful ring before with cut out areas, so I think he can do it as long as a few adjustments are made. I agree that the shank can taper in a little more as it goes down. And I think the top view may need more taper to be a little narrower above the side stones, as well. The profile view is going to be so pretty!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it missing some of the cut outs up top?

It's a good first CAD, but it does need a little work.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyann|1396492218|3646298 said:
Maisie, I think it is going to come out beautiful and won't appear so wide once all of the milgraining and detailing is on it. And on a slight thread jack, please direct me to the thread on your rings in your avatar? Love them!!!

I never made a thread for those rings. I got them when I was having a ps break :))

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1396492250|3646299 said:
Yes, CADs are always bulky! But he has done a beautiful ring before with cut out areas, so I think he can do it as long as a few adjustments are made. I agree that the shank can taper in a little more as it goes down. And I think the top view may need more taper to be a little narrower above the side stones, as well. The profile view is going to be so pretty!

I've sent him an email and asked for the points you mentioned. I'm sure he will make me a pretty ring. I can't wait!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1396494165|3646329 said:
Is it missing some of the cut outs up top?

It's a good first CAD, but it does need a little work.

Yes the cut outs are missing! I strangely forgot to include the photo of the top of the ring when I sent the inspiration pics so he was working from the side view only. I definitely want them and have since sent him the other photo :))

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It seems that there is a lot of metal at the top, surrounding the diamonds. And is it possible to taper the shank a bit more near the top?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thecat|1396517252|3646463 said:
It seems that there is a lot of metal at the top, surrounding the diamonds. And is it possible to taper the shank a bit more near the top?

I've sent him an email asking him to taper the shank and to reduce the amount of metal round the smaller diamonds. I will share the revised cads when I get them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results