shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with asscher cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

staticfree

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I am new here to the forum. I''m currently in the process of looking for an engagement ring. As it turns out, after much research online and some discret questions to my girlfriend, i want to get her an asscher cut diamond.

Just to give you some background on why i decided on Asscher cut. Before deciding to propose, i had never been into a jewellery store. When i first started looking for a ring, i looked at the round cuts. I was about to purchase one from a local jewellery chain when, one day when i was talking to my girlfriend, she mentioned that she went into Tiffany & Co. and loved the solitaire princess cut and the tiffany patented Lucida cut, more interesting than the normal round shape.

Thus, I had my first lesson on diamonds. They are not all round!!!

After this, i started to do much more reseach online on diamond shapes, and the 4Cs. In the end, I settled on the Asscher cut for several reasons:
1) My girl does not wear jewellery. In fact, the only thing she wears are tiny hoop earrings she got when in highschool, over 15 years ago. No bangles, necklace, rings, nothing.
2) She is a designer/ copywriter, so she does a lot of drawing and lots of computer work. Thus, she hate wearing anything on her hands that could distract her from her work. She does not even wear a watch because it get heavy and bothersome.
3) She''s not the kind of girl who likes to go with the flow. She thinks that round stones are boring because everyone (and their dog, literally!) has one, and it''s not unique.
4) I mentioned Asscher cut and showed her a photo before and she said that she''s seen the cut before in magazines but never knew what it was called and really loves the symmetric look and the uniqueness of the cut.

There is just one little issue. I''m in Singapore and it''s near impossible to find Asscher cut diamonds here! In fact, it''s close to impossible to find any fancy shaped diamonds that can be mounted on a solitaire ring here! As quoted by a local jewellary store salesman, "Majority of Singapore girls like the sparkle and brilliance of the round cut, that''s why ever store has their own patented round cut with more facets to outshine the competition. Society here thinks that diamonds are meant to be sparkly and brilliant, so if they are not, then what''s the point of getting a diamond". Ouch!

My quest continued online and thats where i found bluenile.com. They have asscher cuts, and the prices are much cheaper than some round diamonds i can find here in Singapore! My only issue is there does not seem to be enough information or even pictures of the stones. Are they trustworthy enough that i can part with my money just looking at statistics?

Are there any other online stores that you''ll recommend?

Here''s what i''m looking for:
1) Cost: About US$3100 (will to spend a little more for a better stone, but less is preferable)
2) Shape: Asscher Cut
3) Carat: Between 0.75 to 0.90 (Is bigger always better?)
4) Cut: Very Good or better (Is "good" that bad?)
5) Color: G (Is anything lower recommended?)
6) Clarity: VVS2 (I heard that because Asscher cut is not as brilliant, flaws can be easier to pick out)
7) Fluorescence: I read from the 1997 GIA report that is does not matter, but of course the lower the better right?
8) I''ve read some info from this forum about crown height, but can''t seem to find any of that information on the online stores.

Thanks for listening/ reading to blabber on... it''s just that this is rather overwhelming! I hope you''ll can help!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 9:07:25 AM
Author:staticfree
Hi everyone!

Are there any other online stores that you'll recommend?
Yes. Goodoldgold, call or write and ask to speak with Jon (mention where you are located as a heads up for future communications), tell him what you want. He's the head honcho, and has outstanding sources for Asschers. If you do a search on here, you'll find many happy customers.
2.gif

staticfree

Rough_Rock
I just got this reply from bluenile with some recommendations, what do y''all think of it?
-----
Here are my top three picks that match the guidelines (Good looking, colorless and flawless)

http://www.bluenile.com/asscher-cut-diamond-1-carat-or-less-very-good-cut-d-color-vvs2-clarity_LD01413318

http://www.bluenile.com/asscher-cut-diamond-1-carat-or-less-very-good-cut-e-color-vvs2-clarity_LD01441044

http://www.bluenile.com/asscher-cut-diamond-1-carat-or-less-very-good-cut-d-color-vs1-clarity_LD01291990

As we''re looking at diamonds under a carat I would be comfortable with an H in color and a VS1 in clarity.

http://www.bluenile.com/asscher-cut-diamond-1-carat-or-less-very-good-cut-h-color-vs1-clarity_LD01459811

You''re right about the Asscher having the potential to show more color and inclusions as it is not a brilliant-cut diamond.

I''m not worried about the fluorescence some of these diamonds have as it would only appear if it were subjected to ultraviolet light.

We would not be able to provide a plotting chart of the inclusions these diamonds have. Plotting charts are used to identify diamonds, not to show whether or not inclusions are visible. These diamonds have been laser inscribed on the girdle with the grading report number. The laser inscription would be used to identify the diamond.

There are no industry standards for fancy shapes like the Asscher, therefore the crown height information is not collected.

----------

What do y''all suggest?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 2:25:48 PM
Author: staticfree

I just got this reply from bluenile with some recommendations, what do y'all think of it?
-----
What do y'all suggest?
I suggest using a vendor that provides ASET/real life photos. When buying a fancy online, they are invaluable.

strm will most likely be along, he's the resident Asscher expert. But I can gaurantee you, the first thing he would want if any looked worthwhile, is a photo.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is BN don''t provide images of their diamonds and without it is a guessing game as to how the diamonds actually look, also more detailed measurements are needed too.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 2:32:52 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 2/25/2009 2:25:48 PM

I just got this reply from bluenile with some recommendations, what do y''all think of it?

-----

What do y''all suggest?
I suggest using a vendor that provides ASET/real life photos. When buying a fancy online, they are invaluable.

strm will most likely be along, he''s the resident Asscher expert. But I can gaurantee you, the first thing he would want if any looked worthwhile, is a photo.
Yes,
You can not buy asschers online without pictures.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one here meets every one of your requirements and it is a top of the line cut.
Look at the mm spread and it is as big as the heavier ones you posted.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5190/

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Staticfree, when I read your post, I thought you were describing my story. I decided against RBs myself as my GF and I find them too common. I was planning to get her an Asscher until I stumbled upon some nice vintage cushions.

Why don't you check out James Allen? At least they provide photos of the actual stones.

But Karl's pick from GoG seems like a winner to me.
9.gif

staticfree

Rough_Rock
is there an optimal size that i should be looking for to set as a solitaire? i love the one on GOG, but will 0.71 be too small? i can''t even picture what the size will look like...

also, a local dealer managed to get a hold of a "square emerald cut". She says that it is not an asscher cut. Having never seen a real asscher cut first hand, what differences should i be looking out for?

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
Static,

Here are some links to ~.70 asschers (technically square emerald)

Katamari''s Kicken Asscher

My .70

I know Lauren the Partier also has a .70 in a bezel, but I couldn''t find pics quickly.

Hope this gives you an idea about the size!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 3:11:59 PM
is there an optimal size that i should be looking for to set as a solitaire? i love the one on GOG, but will 0.71 be too small? i can''t even picture what the size will look like...

also, a local dealer managed to get a hold of a ''square emerald cut''. She says that it is not an asscher cut. Having never seen a real asscher cut first hand, what differences should i be looking out for?
When shopping for fancy cuts you have to look at the MM length and width rather than the weight when comparing visible size.

A square emerald cut is the generic name for an asscher or asscher like diamond.
There are a ton of variations which is why you have to have pictures when shopping online.
In general the things to look for are:
eye square?
eye clean? (no visible inclusions)
Smaller table
high crown
pleasing outline
pleasing patterns
Not overly dark
reasonable spread

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is an example:
The .71
Width: 5.20mm
Length: 5.22mm

The first BN stone linked.
.80ct

Width 5.05mm
Length 5.27mm

The length for all practical purposes is the same and the width is slightly larger on the .71 even if it is .09ct less in weight.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 98.84%; HEIGHT: 55px">Date: 2/25/2009 3:11:59 PM
is there an optimal size that i should be looking for to set as a solitaire? i love the one on GOG, but will 0.71 be too small? i can't even picture what the size will look like...

also, a local dealer managed to get a hold of a 'square emerald cut'. She says that it is not an asscher cut. Having never seen a real asscher cut first hand, what differences should i be looking out for?
The measurement of the stone storm choses is 5.20x5.22 0.71ct and is bigger than the 4 bluenile stones of 0.80+ ct you have chosen. This stone maximizes its spread!

ETA: LOL storm, we posted at the same time!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 3:11:59 PM

also, a local dealer managed to get a hold of a ''square emerald cut''. She says that it is not an asscher cut. Having never seen a real asscher cut first hand, what differences should i be looking out for?
There are a few Asscher videos on this page. You will see how well cut and not so well cut look, and how they have different personalities. Also, I would go as big as you can, the bigger the stone, the more the cut can be appreciated.

http://goodoldgold.com/Diamond_Videos/

staticfree

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone! i''ve contacted gog, james allen, and wf to get some pictures from them on a few stones. i''ll keep u''all posted! thanks!!!

staticfree

Rough_Rock
hi all,

so i am rather certain about getting the stone from gog: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5190/. They really do have the best cut stones for asschers!

Even after reading about ASET and DiamXray, I still have no idea what i'm looking at.

Can I ask if someone could have a look at them and explain to me what i'm suppose to see in those 2 pictures?

Also, when i put the stone dimensions into the cut advisor: https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp i get an error message saying griddle is too think. is that bad?

Thanks very much!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 8:58:23 PM
hi all,

so i am rather certain about getting the stone from gog: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5190/. They really do have the best cut stones for asschers!

Even after reading about ASET and DiamXray, I still have no idea what i''m looking at.

Can I ask if someone could have a look at them and explain to me what i''m suppose to see in those 2 pictures?

Also, when i put the stone dimensions into the cut advisor: http://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp i get an error message saying griddle is too think. is that bad?

Thanks very much!
That''s a gorgeous stone!
2.gif

Here''s a thread that will hopefully help you understand what you''re looking at.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-we-prefer-aset-to-ideal-scope-with-fancy-shapes.73949/

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cut adviser doesn't work for asschers only rounds.
On diamXray it is similar to the ideal-scope.
Red is light return, black is obstruction(reflection of the camera in the regular picture and a reflection of your head when viewing it in person under some conditions) and white is leakage.
Notice how the red areas in diamXray match up with the white areas in the regular picture?
They are both showing light return just in different ways.

The ASET is similar but tells you which direction the diamond is drawing light from.
Red is overhead light, blue is a reflection of your head, and green is drawing light from the side.
All 3 pictures look great, just what I would expect from a top of the line asscher.
Add in the nice spread for the weight and it is a very rare diamond.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 9:14:16 PM
Author: strmrdr

cut adviser doesn''t work for asschers only rounds
Thanks, forgot to say that!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results