shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with an engagement ring setting and diamond approval!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All and Happy New Year!

Long time follower here, but this is my first official post. :angel:

Today marks two things - 3 months since I married the love of my life and 1 month since my wedding and engagement rings were stolen ;(

I could have never imagined how miserable life would be without those little sparklers, so I am in the market looking for a new sparky best friend. My first set was truly unique and irreplaceable - my husband presented me with a lovely Art Deco vintage ring. The main stone was damaged and BGD did the most amazing transformation - I got to enjoy a super ideal brilliant cut diamond/H/VS1. I also had a very simple and thin vintage wedding band to go with it. Picture of my stolen engagement ring:

sd_er.jpg

I love, love vintage rings and one day I will have a new addition, or perhaps will reunite with my first love, but today I am looking for something different and also something that would not continue to remind me of my loss.

I have my eyes set on this lovely BGD Signature Cushion Cut diamond, and I wanted to see what y'all think of it!

Shape: BGD Signature Cushion
Carat: 1.556
Color: J (BGD indicated that it faces up whiter)
Clarity: SI2 (BGD indicated that the stone is eye-clean)
Light performance/Cut/Polish/Symmetry: Ideal
Table: 59.6%
Depth: 60.3%
Crown: 14.3%
Pav Angle: 40.8%
Pavillion: 44.2%

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.556-j-si2-cushion-diamond-ags-104084004002#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/0/

I love the look of the cushion cut paired with the brilliance of a round cut. What do you guys think - yay or nay?

Additionally, I am having a really hard time choosing a setting for it - I always loved pave stones and halos and more intricate designs but recently I have been finding myself drawn to solitaires. I like their classic look and how versatile they are (stacker fan here). So I am currently between the below settings, but any recommendations are welcome!

BGD Elegance - classy Cartier 1895 inspired setting - I tried a Cartier ring and I liked the look of the setting very much

http://m.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/elegance-18k-white-gold-5415w18

BGD Ashleigh - also elegant setting and a bit more budget friendly, I also like the little peak-a-boo diamond

http://m.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/ashleigh-14k-white-gold-5853w14

BGD Legera - I like the feminine and delicate look of this setting, but I am not sure if I will be able to pair it with different bands without "overtaking" the center diamond or without looking too "cookie cutter-ish"

http://m.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/legera-pave-platinum-5861p

Custom Split Shank Pave setting - something similar to BGD Split Shank Truth, but slightly less open and a bit more delicate.

http://m.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/split-shank-truth-platinum-5665p

I wear a size 5.25-5.5 and I wI'll be looking for a setting in white gold or platinum.

I will greatly appreciate all and any help that may be provided!

Thanks in advance!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help with an engagement ring setting and diamond approva

I am so sorry that your rings were stolen - that must feel like such a violation and loss!

In looking at the setttings you linked, I can't help but wonder how you will feel about them as a solitaire is so different from what you had in terms of finger coverage. There is truly nothing as beautiful and elegant as a solitaire diamond as long as it feels that way to you and not 'lacking' - if you know what I mean.

For that reason alone, I might choose the split shank ring as it gives the ring a heftier feel. If that is not a consideration, I think I would choose the Elegance solitaire.

Your stone looks beautiful and I wish you all the best in making your new rings. Please come back with pictures when the ring is done!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for your response and thank you for the sympathy!

Having my rings stolen from me has been a truly a horrible experience, I hope that no one ever has to go through anything similar.

You are bringing a great point about finger coverage. The reason I am leaning toward a solitaire now is because the main stone will be quite the upgrade from my first one - 1.5ct cushion vs 0.7ct brilliant. I also thought that I would like to have a bit more substantial wedding band 5/7/9 stone and I am not sure if that would look ok with a split shank. If I go the split shank route, I will need to get a plain or pave wedding band.

Below is a picture of the 1.7ct round Cartier ring I tried on. Thoughts?

image_4150.jpg

Thanks again!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is beautiful and there is no more classic look than a solitaire and a beautiful diamond band. So glad that you have been able to try that on and get a feel for it.

Unfortunately, we have had members here before who have had their rings stolen. It is always such a wipe out in terms of emotion and I feel for anyone who has to endure such a loss.

Go for it - it will be sure to be gorgeous!!

Gnoble

Rough_Rock

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I too am going through a very similar situation. I have been married 3 yrs Dec 29th and less than 6 months ago my engagement ring was stolen from my home while we were having work done. It has been devastating. More devastating than I ever could have imagined. I have bought and returned one ring, along with having an emotional breakdown (yup kinda embarrassing in the jewelry store) and then just recently bought a diamond and setting on Blue Nile. I too am trying to get advice on if I did the right thing because I'm having a hard time differentiating between feeling like my emotions are getting the best of me and reality. The scars of the aftermath of such a crime go deeper than any one can imagine. Any way. Good luck to you, it's no easy situation. No one understands more than I.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results