shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a sapphire halo ring - am I being too picky?

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Happy weekend PSers!
I’m hoping for some advice here.
My husband and I got married without an engagement so we never had an Ering. We’re saving for a really special HPD one currently (thanks to my PS lurking!), but in the meantime I wanted *something* so I had a little project on the side! I found a pretty peach 0.9ct sapphire and wanted it set into a dainty halo.
I had an Etsy vendor do this for me. It took forever and a day and to me, the result is just the absolute pits. It looks SO messy. The prongs holding the center stone are varying heights and angles, the polish on the entire mount is rough and noticeably bumpy, particularly in the gallery. The stone doesn’t seem set straight, I think it’s slightly higher up on one end. It also seems to sit too high like it’s bursting out of the halo. I also asked for the halo diamonds to be very tightly packed together but they don’t look to be.

I’d love to know if PSers either in the trade, or just have a lot of experience with buying custom rings, think I’m being too fussy and unreasonable. I want them to either re-make it, or offer a partial refund so I can have a different jeweler maybe tidy it up a bit. What’s fair in this situation do you think? Does this look acceptable quality? Personally if I were a jeweler there’s no way in hell I’d send this to a customer. But maybe my expectations are too high?!

Pics to follow!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
CF8BFDE2-B2D3-4DDC-8EDA-48F0BDCC11F6.jpeg 5BD736A2-0B4E-4536-ADBA-ACB9BCF6E1A3.jpeg 805915E5-7E78-464B-B3A2-13614FE63716.jpeg E8522828-675F-4DED-9BB5-025351C73DBD.jpeg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous color! Would love to see a face up shot when you get a chance.

I don’t think you’re being too picky at all. The sapphire deserves better. I’d have someone local unmount the stone and send the setting back for a refund. I’m sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear. I hope you find a beautiful setting that you love!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
B8A21246-8ADD-4884-87B2-E125FA1964AA.jpeg
Not the best lighting but here it is! It changes color in different lights, some it looks very pink and other almost colorless. The stone was only $250 on Etsy. It does have a bowtie and small window but it’s still really pretty, and will serve a purpose until I get my dream ring!

I agree with you. The more I look at this dreadful setting the more I see its beyond saving!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s not a precision cut sapphire, the stone itself may be a bit wonky. Plus, you know, Etsy vendor... not everyone is the same on Etsy.

My first thought was the stone is not precision cut and the vendor had to work around it.

May we ask what you paid for the setting and where the jeweler is?

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
It’s not a precision cut sapphire, I did ask the vendor that question. I could actually live with the slightly wonky angle of the stone if it weren’t for everything else wrong with the setting. I don’t think the stone being not precision cut excuses the rest of the workmanship.

Of course you may ask! The setting was $350 from a different Etsy seller. I had bought a few custom stacking rings from them before and they were really lovely quality so I thought they’d be a safe bet, with this setting design being relatively simple. It took them 2 months though to turn up with THIS!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
@whitewave does the fact it’s not precision cut mean I can’t get away with buying a semi mount?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
The cost of settings always astonishes me, not to mention the cost to have a stone set into the setting. At any rate, no matter the cost, if you’re not happy with it, they should offer to make it right somehow, whether remake or partial/full refund.

What are the dimensions of the sapphire?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave does the fact it’s not precision cut mean I can’t get away with buying a semi mount?

Sometimes, yes. Maybe most of the time? It depends on the dimensions.

Tell the seller you find the ring chunky and wonky and would they try again.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
It’s 7.0 x 5.1 x 2.75.

They offered a full refund so I’m going to take it and find someone else to make the setting!

Any recommendations?! :)

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
So glad they will do right by you!

David Klass is a PS favorite but many others abound. If you’re looking for a budget friendly choice, there’s always Stuller. Here’s a pretty one: 49435C87-B603-4BA1-A30D-31547094323C.jpeg

And another:
6AD2D3A6-7B86-43A5-9610-70CD2B974E6F.jpeg

Last edited:

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all your recommendations! I’m not sure what I want to do with it now. If I should try and get the same design or similar made again by someone else or just get something different entirely! I’ll keep you posted!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps you could try looking for preloved settings on Loupetroop, Ebay and DiamondBistro, good quality ones at affordable prices pop up from time to time.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps you could try looking for preloved settings on Loupetroop, Ebay and DiamondBistro, good quality ones at affordable prices pop up from time to time.
I have been doing this too! Please let me know if you see any nice ones?!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, I’ve actually been in contact with ivy & rose! It’s between them and another vendor, just waiting to hear back!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@Jsand I can vouch for Ivy&Rose, I have had a couple settings by them. Both have been very well made and sturdy. And quick. (And no wonkiness!) In fact, I'm plannng to set something with them again soon.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
In case anyone was interested, I shopped around for a bit and decided I just don’t love this stone enough to spend $600+ on a decent setting. That money would be better spent towards a small CBI and continually upgrading. So that’s what I’m doing now!
Thanks for all your help and advice in the meantime :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jsand, sounds like a plan! Please come back with pics :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results