shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a Peridot

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Would it be possible for you to try drawing them out, either on paper or using some kind of drawing tool?

Cheaper than buying CZs to play with!

DK :))

It's easier for me to lay out the stones in some dough or something than try to draw lol. I already have some small CZs, just have to find a few more sizes. The craft quality ones aren't very expensive. I'm thinking lab diamonds would be over $1,000 so I might go with moissanite. :)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm having a hard time finding small lab diamonds for sale, to get a rough estimate of the cost. Something like this, if anyone knows where to find it. Or natural diamonds, if the price isn't a whole lot higher:

2- 4mm round
4- 3.5mm
4- 3.0mm
6- 2.75mm

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Just got it back and have given up on the photos! In real life, the recut is great and the color is more lime green, not the olive color shown. But I KNOW BETTER than to not include a photo around here haha.

Oh, he only charged me $200 in the end and his name is Boyd Fox (Texas, USA) if anyone needs a stone recut. I highly recommend him.

recut peridot.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here are a couple of examples.

To me, the first one with larger stones seems fancier and also more antique-ish. It is:

2- 4mm stones
4- 3mm
8- 2.5mm

I think I like the second one better. A smoother graduated halo with smaller stones looks more casual and modern to me. I don't often get very dressed up these days.

6- 3mm stones
4- 2.5 mm
6- 2mm

I'm thinking of all 14k yellow gold. Prongs for the center stone (in case I ever want to replace it, since peridot is a softer stone) and the halo bezelled. No milgrain.

Thoughts? Or other ideas?

Peri1.jpg

peri2.jpg

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on the recut! As for the setting, by bezelled halo do you mean a bezel on the outside of the whole thing or for each sidestone?
P.S. Have you considered using any other stone besides diamonds? Your mock-up reminded me of moonstones or pearls, think those might be interesting options as well.
Anyway, definitely go with your heart! (and show us the finished goodie :D)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the recut! As for the setting, by bezelled halo do you mean a bezel on the outside of the whole thing or for each sidestone?
P.S. Have you considered using any other stone besides diamonds? Your mock-up reminded me of moonstones or pearls, think those might be interesting options as well.
Anyway, definitely go with your heart! (and show us the finished goodie :D)

I mean something like this. And I think I've changed my mind again and like the first example of mine above better. I think I'll go with moissanites. My photos are a little fuzzy and the stones are all turned upside down. :)

3d8d0dcf-515c-40fd-ad5c-d67467c193f7-jpeg.928554

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I just ordered moissanites. It should look like the awful photo (peridot and czs turned upside down) below. Except that my two largest stones will be 3.5mm whereas the ones shown are 4mm. It will be about 1.30 carats of halo stones. I believe the inspo rings (from the lovely Niel and the lovely NKOTB) have about 1.70 carats in their haloes? So my halo will be a bit smaller and with a more slight graduation:

2- 3.5mm round moissanites (.15 carats each)
4- 3.0mm (.10 carats each)
8- 2.5mm (.06 carats each)

The moissanites cost about $115 with shipping, if anyone is interested.

Now for the bands and gallery.

p3.jpg

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Figuring out galleries and bands makes me cranky. I think I'll just request a simple, open gallery and simple double band (so it doesn't sit wonky on my finger).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a couple of examples.

To me, the first one with larger stones seems fancier and also more antique-ish. It is:

2- 4mm stones
4- 3mm
8- 2.5mm

I think I like the second one better. A smoother graduated halo with smaller stones looks more casual and modern to me. I don't often get very dressed up these days.

6- 3mm stones
4- 2.5 mm
6- 2mm

I'm thinking of all 14k yellow gold. Prongs for the center stone (in case I ever want to replace it, since peridot is a softer stone) and the halo bezelled. No milgrain.

Thoughts? Or other ideas?

Peri1.jpg

peri2.jpg

#1 for me for the more obvious graduation.

Edited to say I did not realise you have chosen #1 already, doh!

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Figuring out galleries and bands makes me cranky. I think I'll just request a simple, open gallery and simple double band (so it doesn't sit wonky on my finger).

I have a default shank/band for all my rings, which is plain comfort band at least 4mm at the top tapered to 3mm at the bottom.

May sound boring, however, that's what I like and I don't particularly care for stones on the shoulders of the shank/band.

Since I prefer to have my stones set as low as possible, I seldom request for any fancy gallery.

The two that are "fancy" are quite tall, and one has some kind of petals and the other just a little bands of small diamonds, as shown in the CADs:

QQ图片20201121112342.png
QQ图片20221009111558.png

No doubt the usual suspects will come and help with gallery designs. I shan't tag them yet as they may come and offer their ideas soon.

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Seems very reasonable for the recut. I've admired Boyd's work on IG and he does a great job, your peridot turned out great! I really like the graduated halo you chose.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Finally ready to send off for setting, after a series of annoying delays from a moissanite vendor. I think this looks the best? Two- 4.0mm, Four- 3.0mm. Eight- 2.5mm. Good?

(These are a bit unevenly spaced and all stones are upside down):
peridotring.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Or does this look better? Two 4.0mm, Four 3.5mm, Four 3.0mm. Six 2.5mm

peridotring2.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Or one of the others on this thread?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or does this look better? Two 4.0mm, Four 3.5mm, Four 3.0mm. Six 2.5mm

peridotring2.jpg

I believe this could be too crowded, probably need to take out a 2.5mm on each side, and see what it looks like compare with the other version.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I think you're right. Two 4.0mm. Four 3.5mm. Four 3.0MM. Four 2.5mm.

Peridotring3.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Now I think I'm going back to lower carats on the halo. The one above is about 1.90 carats, which I believe is close to what the inspo. rings have but which is quite a bit for my casual lifestyle.

The one below removes the two largest stones, which were 4.0mm or .25 carat each. It is now: Two 3.5mm stones, four 3.0mm and eight 2.5mm. The total halo is about 1.27 carats.

I'll be glad to get this to UPS tomorrow so I can stop dwelling on it!

peridot4.jpg

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here's the CAD. :)

That's a little lime slice on the back.

The peridot can be removed and replaced, without destroying the setting, if it gets too worn down.

Oh, it will all be yellow gold, not part white metal as shown.

peridot ring CAD.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, just in time for Spring!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
It's here! I'm very pleased with my big summery lime green ring. (And really, I just thought the lime slice would be a fun touch. It didn't dawn on me until later that it was a "Margarita" ring). :lol-2:

peridot ring1.jpg

peridot ring2.jpg

peridot ring3.jpg

Last edited:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
It's here! I'm very pleased with my big summery lime green ring. (And really, I just thought the lime slice would be a fun touch. It didn't dawn on me until later that it was a "Margarita" ring). :lol-2:

peridot ring1.jpg

peridot ring2.jpg

peridot ring3.jpg

I love it! Such a fun ring! Gorgeous color and the lime detail is just the icing on top!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely, thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results