shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a Peridot

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, gems are so hard to photograph accurately. Anyway, I just got this peridot and am debating if I should keep it. I like the color okay but not the cut, especially the window. It was a little under $400 with shipping and is little under 6 carats.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get it recut. Does anyone know about what that would cost? Also, if a recut would decrease the circumference very much?

And I wonder if it's even very feasible to send it back. I don't think I've ever returned anything to Thailand before so I have no idea if their mail service is reliable or not. Thoughts?

Also, what I have/had in mind for it is something like the second photo below, with the surrounding stones to be lab diamonds or yellow/green mali garnets or other. I would also appreciate input on the surrounding stones in case I keep the peridot. I'm thinking of a summery, casual lemon-lime look. :)

peridot2.jpg

peridot1.jpg

Last edited:

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't keep that stone as-is. The recuts I've had done have been between $125-$250 (and have been similar size). Assuming the stone is clean for them to work with, it shouldn't reduce in size much in any particular direction. Usually weight is taken off to improve proportions and angles, not to reduce overall size

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm sending my peridot off for recutting today. I've never had a stone recut before, so I'm interested to see the difference. If anyone else is considering a recut, for reference, my cost should be about $300 to recut a 6 carat gem.

Now to figure out the surrounding stones. Lab diamonds or other clear stones would be the safest bet but it would be fun to do something different for a change. I also have to figure out the sizes of the surrounding stones. Thoughts appreciated!

Last edited:

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
If there's still time, I personally would not want to invest more money in this stone. I have a similar peridot that I received for free from a vendor with a sub-$500 purchase.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
If there's still time, I personally would not want to invest more money in this stone. I have a similar peridot that I received for free from a vendor with a sub-$500 purchase.

Thanks, pokerface. It has definitely crossed my mind that I might just be getting in deeper. But hopefully I'll be happy with the end result.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about peachy and/or violet coloured halo to bring out the green?

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, DK. I hadn't even considered any colors but yellow or green so will definitely think about those too now.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sending my peridot off for recutting today. I've never had a stone recut before, so I'm interested to see the difference. If anyone else is considering a recut, for reference, my cost should be about $300 to recut a 6 carat gem.

Now to figure out the surrounding stones. Lab diamonds or other clear stones would be the safest bet but it would be fun to do something different for a change. I also have to figure out the sizes of the surrounding stones. Thoughts appreciated!

What end look are you going for in the recut?
Is the cutter going to go for closing up the window and maximizing color
Or
Going for a precision cut /design that may have alternate sway on the color?

Keeping the footprint size/shape or not?
Figuring out halo size melee count/size will be difficult now if that will change.

And because I’m curious - was the stone well represented verbally and visually by the vendors listing?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
@Rfisher- Hopefully, the recut will just be an improvement all the way around.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am leaning towards purple/violet with the main stone as I like the inspiration ring.

Hey @seaurchin! I see you've opted for a recut, so I'm sure there'll be a big improvement in the light return. The window definitely needs some closing, which you obviously knew. And if the stone is deep enough, you may get away without losing much off the face-up dimensions. I bet the color will improve as well. Good luck and please update us!!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
After considering DK's idea of more contrast in the halo stones, I looked around and the color I like the most with it is bright blue.

Or I might play it safer and go with a bezel graduated diamond halo, somewhat like the two lovely PSer rings below (NKOTB and Niel)
peridot7.jpg

3d8d0dcf-515c-40fd-ad5c-d67467c193f7-jpeg.928554
1679505173194.jpeg

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is giving me ideas how to set my two oval CSs - a dark green Tourmaline and a smaller mint Garnet.

Although I have said I am not keen on having more than one colour in a ring, however, it is too good an opportunity not to do so with these 2 stones.

Finding suitable melees would be the key and probably difficult as both stones are precision cut and melees are unlikely to be precision cut. However, I could be wrong.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Just remembered I have this. It wasn't very expensive,10k yellow gold, (12x10mm) pink cz center stone and strontium titanate halo stones. But I like the look so I’d be happy enough with it, if my peridot fits after the recut.

I’d want to replace the halo stones with something else though and probably have the prongs dipped in something to look like white gold. Feasible?

pinkring.jpg

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just remembered I have this. It wasn't very expensive,10k yellow gold, (12x10mm) pink cz center stone and strontium titanate halo stones. But I like the look so I’d be happy enough with it, if my peridot fits after the recut.

I’d want to replace the halo stones with something else though and probably have the prongs dipped in something to look like white gold. Feasible?

pinkring.jpg

Strontium titanate is a soft stone, moissanite or cz are more durable, economic, man made options. I wouldn’t plate a yellow gold ring with a white metal because the plating will eventually wear off.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Strontium titanate is a soft stone, moissanite or cz are more durable, economic, man made options. I wouldn’t plate a yellow gold ring with a white metal because the plating will eventually wear off.

Thanks, T L. Guess I'll wait and see how much I like the re-cut stone, then decide how much more money I want to put into it.

If I have a setting made, I'll be sure to have the peridot in a prong setting, so I can replace it if ever needed.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
While I'm waiting on my re-cut peridot, thought I'd figure out the setting. I think I'll go with NKOTB's and Niel's lovely rings as the inspirations. Thanks, ladies!

I decided against using colored gems for the halo stones. As usual, my design choice gets simpler the closer I get to paying for it haha. (I always worry that something more creative won't turn out well in reality).

So here's the peridot again (pre re-cut).

peridot3-jpg.928474

And here are the inspo rings:

3d8d0dcf-515c-40fd-ad5c-d67467c193f7-jpeg.928554
1679505173194-jpeg.928667

Since peridot is a softer stone, I want a collar with prongs (someone please tell me if that's the right word) instead of a bezel, so if ever needed, I can have a lab stone cut to fit and re-use the setting. The collar will be like that of another ring I had made:

1680547600310.jpeg

Will have to figure out the number of prongs and their placement. Maybe just four small, pointy prongs as shown above? That's probably good because they don't stand out much.

I want this ring to be all done in 14k yellow gold. No milgrain.

I love that graduated halo but for mine, I would like the largest halo stones to be smaller or the stones on either side of it to be larger, in a slightly "smoother" arc, if I'm explaining it right.

I want a plainer band or maybe a double band?

Not sure about the gallery yet, either.

Another issue are the halo stones. I don't know what lab stones would cost or if I should consider a less expensive alternative.

One more thing is ring size. I have pretty large hands but this is a pretty large ring so I'm wondering if it would look better on the middle finger than on the ring finger.

Input mucho appreciated!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hey @seaurchin -- do you recall the dimensions of your Peridot (pre- recut)?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
hey @seaurchin -- do you recall the dimensions of your Peridot (pre- recut)?

It's 5.8 carats, 12.7 x 10.3 x 6.3 depth.

I think it will be similar in size to the center stones in the inspo rings.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Difficult to suggest when the final re-cut stone dimensions are not yet available.

A split shank may work with no stones.

As for the halo stones, how about using Moissy as they would be cheaper than LGD?

I would advise drawing the stone to scale on a piece of paper, then cut it out and place on your fingers to see which one would be more suitable.

Looking at the pic of the pre re-cut stone on your hand, I believe it will be a great cocktail ring on your ring finger. However, personal preferences and all that.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Good ideas. Thanks, DK.

I'm going to get some CZs to play with too, to see how the graduated halo looks in different sizes.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good ideas. Thanks, DK.

I'm going to get some CZs to play with too, to see how the graduated halo looks in different sizes.

Would it be possible for you to try drawing them out, either on paper or using some kind of drawing tool?

Cheaper than buying CZs to play with!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results