shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with A jaffe Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gossipgirl

Rough_Rock
Hello there fellow ladies, I am new to this forum and I am super excited to be apart of this fun network!!! I am seeking some advice/insight from all of you experts as to what I should do. Here is my issue....

I have always been in love with the Tiffany Novo, so I figured a Michael B ring would be more affordable option. Little did I know that that was not the case. The jeweler we (bf&I) visited carried both Michael B rings and A Jaffe rings, and as it turns out A Jaffe rings are more suitable to the budget (boo!). I have fallen in love with a similar style/ring by A Jaffe, however after trying it on I feel I am not 100% satisfied. My problem lies in the width of the band. The band in my opinion is a little tooo thin. Even though I love the style of a thin band, I feel that that may not be the case a few years down the road. For that reason, I am considering customizing/modifying the ring from 2mm to 3mm in width. Do you ladies think it will ruin the ring? and will it cost a lot to make such changes?

Here is a pic of the ring, except I will only get one wedding band not two.

ME1353.jpg

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I think that only you will know what you like on your finger and if you looked at it and it didn''t ring your bell, then do what you can to make the changes to make you happy. I pesonally think the smaller bands make the center stone stand out more and is beautiful. Also, don''t forget that custom work is not always more than something that is already made. You may be able to find someone who can make you exactly what you want for a similar price.

Sorry I couldn''t be more help!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Hi
35.gif
-- love your screenname. I'm about to watch my share of GG right now -- can't wait!

May I ask what your budget is for the setting? I would advise you to go custom. You can create the setting of your dreams according to your exact specifications. There are many trusted vendors on this site, Whiteflash is one that comes to mind that I think would do a great job creating this custom for you, but there are many others, too. I don't think going to 3mm would ruin the ring at all.

gossipgirl

Rough_Rock
Yah, I agree. I like how it looked at my hand, and I do agree that a thinner band makes the diamond pop....however something about the thinner band makes me feel that the ring looks cheaper and not as valuable, which CLEARLY isn''t the case.

gossipgirl

Rough_Rock
Haha I love GG too! Im so happy its back on!!!!!! :)

The ring budget is aprox 8K including the rock. The A jaffe setting is just under $2000 which isn''t bad at all. I would prefer to get A Jaffe to customize the ring, bc Im kind of set on their rings, but I don''t know if they do make changes with width. I will have to ask my jeweler when we go back and get the details.

If I do go ahead with making the changes, do you ladies recommend that I also get more than .20 carats than the original ring??

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 9:04:05 PM
Author: gossipgirl
Haha I love GG too! Im so happy its back on!!!!!! :)
The ring budget is aprox 8K including the rock. The A jaffe setting is just under $2000 which isn''t bad at all. I would prefer to get A Jaffe to customize the ring, bc Im kind of set on their rings, but I don''t know if they do make changes with width. I will have to ask my jeweler when we go back and get the details.
If I do go ahead with making the changes, do you ladies recommend that I also get more than .20 carats than the original ring??
Gotcha. Can''t hurt to ask whether the A Jaffe jeweler will customize your setting. If you do decide to go custom, you should be able to stick to the same budget by doing so. When you say "more than .20 carats than the original ring," what do you mean? Do you mean increasing carat weight by .20 ct, or is the current carat weight of the 2mm ring you''re looking at .20 carat?

gossipgirl

Rough_Rock
Yes. The original ring is 2mm with .20 carats.

I wanted to see if you ladies recommend that I increase the carat weight as I increase the width. What carat weight in your opinion, would be proportional to a 3mm band.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 10:39:59 PM
Yes. The original ring is 2mm with .20 carats.
I wanted to see if you ladies recommend that I increase the carat weight as I increase the width. What carat weight in your opinion, would be proportional to a 3mm band.
.20 center stone or .20 in the setting (pave)? Sorry if I am being slow. I noticed I didn''t ask the question clearly above.

gossipgirl

Rough_Rock
Sorry I was unclear as well.
The original setting has .20 carats weight, with a is 2mm band. If i plan to widen the band to 3mm, how many carats should the setting be?

The center stone will be 1.0-1.3 carats.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 11:12:24 PM
Sorry I was unclear as well.
The original setting has .20 carats weight, with a is 2mm band. If i plan to widen the band to 3mm, how many carats should the setting be?
The center stone will be 1.0-1.3 carats.
ALRIGHT -- well, we finally figured that one out
2.gif
. Yes, you are going to get bigger sidestones for a 3mm setting, so your price will go up. There is a chart floating around this forum on shank size in mm and corresponding pave size, I will try to find it for you.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I love that A Jaffe... My FI was choosing between this ring and my current Ritani. Have you seen this Ritani ring? It was more $ than A Jaffe, but not as much as Micheal B or Tiffs. I think the setting in Platinum was about 2 thousand?

https://www.kranichs.com/product_images/Ritani@2253_M_1RZ1966CCRWG_M.jpg

I personally love thinner bands, and the fact that you can stack them makes them more practical.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
This is not quite the thread I was looking for but has some relevant info: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/melee-stones.50414/. I really thought there was a proper chart some place, but I might have been wrong.

Another thread that could be interesting: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-melee-size-for-wedding-band.53818/. In this thread Lynne B. recommends 3 pointers for a 3mm shank.

The total carat weight of the setting will depend on how many side stones there are -- whether they go all the way around or half way down the shank or just a few on each side. As an example, my 2mm setting has 10 0.015 ct stones on each side for a tcw of .31 in the setting. If you did 6 3 pointers on each side your tcw would go up to .36, for instance.

gossipgirl

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 11:31:53 PM
Author: mscushion
This is not quite the thread I was looking for but has some relevant info: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/melee-stones.50414/. I really thought there was a proper chart some place, but I might have been wrong.

Another thread that could be interesting: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-melee-size-for-wedding-band.53818/. In this thread Lynne B. recommends 3 pointers for a 3mm shank.

The total carat weight of the setting will depend on how many side stones there are -- whether they go all the way around or half way down the shank or just a few on each side. As an example, my 2mm setting has 10 0.015 ct stones on each side for a tcw of .31 in the setting. If you did 6 3 pointers on each side your tcw would go up to .36, for instance.

Thank you so much for your valuable input. I will look into those links
30.gif

gossipgirl

Rough_Rock
SO i just found out from my jeweler that ajaffe does not make any modifications to their rings
7.gif

Looks like i will have to go custom!

What do you ladies suggest then... 2.5 mm or 3mm??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results