shape
carat
color
clarity

Melee Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did a search to find pricing on these and this was all I could come up with... (mara)

Random addition, but I know that WhiteFlash's ACA melee stones at .10c are $130 each. Not sure on color/clarity but it's probably something middle of the road like G/SI. So use that as a comparison too. These are Hearts and Arrows melee stones, probably the best cut you can find for stones that small. Two of those size would be around $260.

Now, those prices may be different, but I think WF only sells melee if they make the ring, correct? Is it possible to get high quality melee like that on your own so that you can take it all to the jeweler at once with the quality *you* want and not at the prices or quality the jeweler will provide?

Also, how many mm is a .10 c stone? Is there a chart for melee? Each of my studs is .25 so I can visualize that... and I can visualize the tiny .02 stuff in the pave... I'm curious about like .05 to .15 sizes... what they cost, where you can get them, and how that translates in diameter of the stones...

Erik Carlson GG

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have a chart but no scanner, sorry :)

A 0.10 carat round diamond (good make) should measure about 3.0 mm in diameter.

0.02 carat 1.7 mm
0.03 carat 2.0 mm
0.05 carat 2.4 mm
0.07 carat 2.7 mm

From 0.005 carats to 0.07 carats you should pay around $900/ct for G/SI and around $1200/ct for F/VS.

Hope this helps!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/4/2006 4:15:18 PM
Author:Cehrabehra

I did a search to find pricing on these and this was all I could come up with... (mara)

Random addition, but I know that WhiteFlash''s ACA melee stones at .10c are $130 each. Not sure on color/clarity but it''s probably something middle of the road like G/SI. So use that as a comparison too. These are Hearts and Arrows melee stones, probably the best cut you can find for stones that small. Two of those size would be around $260.

Now, those prices may be different, but I think WF only sells melee if they make the ring, correct? Is it possible to get high quality melee like that on your own so that you can take it all to the jeweler at once with the quality *you* want and not at the prices or quality the jeweler will provide?

Also, how many mm is a .10 c stone? Is there a chart for melee? Each of my studs is .25 so I can visualize that... and I can visualize the tiny .02 stuff in the pave... I''m curious about like .05 to .15 sizes... what they cost, where you can get them, and how that translates in diameter of the stones...
Hi Cehrabehra:
35.gif

I have an old list of a price qoute I received from WF a couple years back, but you need to get a new list from John or Lesley since the market has risen slightly

(1) Whiteflash does sell individual melee''s to the consumer. These melee''s are gauranteed and come with a signed company appraisal by a GG that the melee''s are E/F in color and VS quality or better. I have purchased these melee''s in the past. 4x10 pointers for a custom mans wedding ring I had custom made.

So, Yes you can get them from whiteflash.
35.gif

Good Luck!
37.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 5:38:14 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut

Date: 9/4/2006 4:15:18 PM
Author:Cehrabehra

Random addition, but I know that WhiteFlash''s ACA melee stones at .10c are $130 each. Not sure on color/clarity but it''s probably something middle of the road like G/SI. So use that as a comparison too. These are Hearts and Arrows melee stones, probably the best cut you can find for stones that small. Two of those size would be around $260.

Also, how many mm is a .10 c stone? Is there a chart for melee? Each of my studs is .25 so I can visualize that... and I can visualize the tiny .02 stuff in the pave... I''m curious about like .05 to .15 sizes... what they cost, where you can get them, and how that translates in diameter of the stones...
Hi Cehrabehra:
35.gif

I have an old list of a price qoute I received from WF a couple years back, but you need to get a new list from John or Lesley since the market has risen slightly

(1) Whiteflash does sell individual melee''s to the consumer. These melee''s are gauranteed and come with a signed company appraisal by a GG that the melee''s are E/F in color and VS quality or better. I have purchased these melee''s in the past. 4x10 pointers for a custom mans wedding ring I had custom made.

35.gif

Good Luck!
37.gif
wooo awesome!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 5:13:34 PM
Author: Erik Carlson GG
I have a chart but no scanner, sorry :)

A 0.10 carat round diamond (good make) should measure about 3.0 mm in diameter.

0.02 carat 1.7 mm
0.03 carat 2.0 mm
0.05 carat 2.4 mm
0.07 carat 2.7 mm

From 0.005 carats to 0.07 carats you should pay around $900/ct for G/SI and around $1200/ct for F/VS.

Hope this helps!
yes it does! incidentally I have a tiny chip ring I''ve had for years with an oval that is 2mm x 3mm so I can use it for reference kinda lol thanks!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cehrabehra:
35.gif

35.gif

Good Luck!
37.gif
I don''t wish to rain on the melee parade but we no longer sell loose ACA melee.

Josh, you must have been the beneficiary of that sale some years ago; I know that policy was reconsidered before I joined the company. You''re one of our celebrated, long-standing clients who can talk about the ''old days'' when we were in smaller offices, sold loose melee and walked through miles of snow to and from the office... Uphill. Both ways.
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 6:24:26 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Hi Cehrabehra:
35.gif

35.gif

Good Luck!
37.gif

I don''t wish to rain on the melee parade but we no longer sell loose ACA melee.

Josh, you must have been the beneficiary of that sale some years ago; I know that policy was reconsidered before I joined the company. You''re one of our celebrated, long-standing clients who can talk about the ''old days'' when we were in smaller offices, sold loose melee and walked through miles of snow to and from the office... Uphill. Both ways.
2.gif
bummer
7.gif
Okay so back to.......... ~> where can you get them? the good quality ones!

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
One of the internet sites used to advertise them in varying shapes, etc..(I don''t think it wasn''t GOG or WF..although GOG MIGHT sell them...) What about Wink, or James Allen/Dirt Cheap diamonds???

Also, do a search at the top of the page...this topic has come up before..........

Good luck!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 6:30:24 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

bummer
7.gif
Okay so back to.......... ~> where can you get them? the good quality ones!
Wink Jones is one source, as far as that goes high quality melee isn''t that hard to find these days and whoever you have make your ring can source it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes wf has since changed their policy to only have their melee in their own rings that are custom made, which i personally think is unfortunate since if someone is willing to pay the extra for H&A melee then they should be able to purchase it outright. melee or larger stones, doesn''t matter to me. if you want it and are willing to pay for it, you should be able to buy it without having to purchase a ring too.

that said, i was also going to recommend wink as a place to get well-cut melee, i think he uses ideals or H&A as well...unbranded? i remember he did a bracelet for a gal on here previously and used something like 20 pointers that were russian cut or something? i''m just trying to remember, could be a little faulty with the info.

here''s my two cents. when we had our e-ring made locally, we asked for the best cut melee they could source. they were 3 pointers. they are pretty and super sparkly. when i had wf make my w-ring, they used ACA melee which i thought was really cool but quite honestly, the visual difference is pretty much nil when you are talking about 2 and 3 pointer stones because they are pretty small. one ring is NOT more sparkly than the other. *sometimes* in certain lighting them maybe i can see a tiny difference but it''s nothing like ''wow that ring is obviously better'' or anything. if the price difference is nil then really i would go with H&A just for fun, but i think if you could find someone who could get you well-cut melee you''d be more than fine.

however, if you are going larger for melee like 10 pointers or 15 pointers or 20 pointers then cut would be a little more important to me. i probably wouldn''t care as much for anything UNDER 10 but i have a 10 stone ring with 10 pointers and they are large enough so where if they were H&A i''d be able to SEE the cut quality. but smaller, doubtful.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/4/2006 6:24:26 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Hi Cehrabehra:
35.gif

35.gif

Good Luck!
37.gif

2.gif
John:

I am glad that WhiteFlash has grown since the "Good Old Days", but am puzzled to the marketing strategy of the company. I always viewed WF as a place my money was well spent and the folks would bend over backwards for you which has not changed.
5.gif

I feel this was a poor
7.gif
Business decision on WF''s part, for my own personal reasons of course.

I know economics might have played a part in the overall decision, but closing a door which was previously open which I think WF received a lot of positive feedback for in the past is a backwards move.

Especially since I will be in the market for melee soon...
1.gif

AND...

Just because WF has grown shouldn''t mean that a consumers options should be halted, especially for a company which received good reviews and praise in the past.

Don''t get me wrong Lesly,John, Bob, or Brian I am a WF customer and fan, but think it was a poor business decision, but than again I don''t have a Diamond Business to run
2.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I hope Wink doesn't mind...(if so I will erase immediately!)

But this is what he quoted me when I was looking to get Ideal cut, one pointers for my pendant. This was last May so it's very possible that the prices went up.

"For my top cut mele in an F-G color VS you will be looking at $1000 per carat. If we drop down to G-H color SI but still a great cut you will be looking at about $850 per carat."

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2006 11:05:19 PM

John:

I am glad that WhiteFlash has grown since the 'Good Old Days', but am puzzled to the marketing strategy of the company. I always viewed WF as a place my money was well spent and the folks would bend over backwards for you which has not changed.
5.gif

I feel this was a poor
7.gif
Business decision on WF's part, for my own personal reasons of course.

I know economics might have played a part in the overall decision, but closing a door which was previously open which I think WF received a lot of positive feedback for in the past is a backwards move.

Especially since I will be in the market for melee soon...
1.gif

AND...

Just because WF has grown shouldn't mean that a consumers options should be halted, especially for a company which received good reviews and praise in the past.

Don't get me wrong Lesly,John, Bob, or Brian I am a WF customer and fan, but think it was a poor business decision, but than again I don't have a Diamond Business to run
2.gif

Josh, we really appreciate your perspective and the comments. I thought I’d elaborate so there is no misunderstanding. This is not about withholding ACA melee
2.gif
there is a larger picture.

We don’t ship any uncertified diamonds loose. All diamonds with no accompanying grading reports are set into jewelry, photographed and verified by an appraiser before leaving WF. That policy is in place to protect us and our customers.

The ‘door’ you refer to was never really open. We made a few exceptions in earlier days (less than a handful) for a few very good customers but have not done so for years - on the advice of our insurance carrier.

We’re flattered that some people express ACA melee as a high priority and hope our different settings and custom design options help make it possible for them.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
In a lot of ways a vendor either has to be crazy or a really nice person to sell lose melee in non-bulk quantities because there isn''t enough money in it to make it worth the time spent.
So its perfectly understandable that a vendor would not mess with it.

Wink does it because he is a super-nice guy and its good pr, he couldn''t afford to do it as a staple of his business.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results