shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a Custom Three Stone Diamond Ring

MarquiseFanatic

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I just joined tonight and am looking for some advice. My husband proposed with a lovely 1.01 SI2 H color Marquise cut diamond and I really want to add triangle cut side diamonds but am not sure where to start. I spoke to a small, local jeweler as well as a large, chain jeweler and am not sure how to proceed since I'm not convinced either of them honestly understood what I was looking for. So I have two questions - 1. Are there recommended vendors for custom rings, and 2. Where in the Sam Hill do I find matched triangle shape diamond pairs??! Have had zero luck in my online searches.

My current ring: http://imgur.com/jPFReym (sorry, not sure how to embed the image)

This is what I had in mind:

SETTING:
Basically, I absolutely love this Stuller setting, but I want six prongs on the center stone, and this one only has two, which just seems risky to me. The prongs on the triangle sides stones are not shared, boo. At least they don't look shared based on the product pics set with stones. So I'm not looking for anything crazy detailed, should be basically that ring with more prongs. Love everything else about it, the prongs that sort of flare out from the base and the cathedral shank are all great in my book.
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122119/9127620/?groupId=119088#/center-stone

SIDE STONES:
I'm thinking 4.5mm triangle sides would complement the center stone best but don't know where to price these out. Google searches have left me kinda empty handed or staring at sketchy looking sites. I don't want to overwhelm my center stone, and although it's slightly over a carat, it's measurements are 9.58 x 5.24 x 3.44mm. I don't want to go any bigger than 4.5mm for the sides.

Sorry if this is information overload, this is my first post so I really have no idea what I'm doing. Hope to hear from knowledgeable folks soon. Many thanks if you've read this far! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think side stones sounds like a nice idea! However, can I maybe convince you to consider side pears? The shape of those would be the most complimentary to a marquise since they have curved sides like the center stone. You do not buy or match up the side stones. The setting maker does that. They will source the stones and show you and get your approval before making the new ring. The most cost effective choice for you will be to use David Klass as he can easily do this setting at a competitive price. Look for David Klass Jewelry on facebook and you can see his work plus get his contact info.

marquisesidepears.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another...you can choose what proportions you want for the sides. These seem to be a little larger.

marquisesidepears2.jpg

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
totally, totally agree with DS on the pear sides. I'm a huge marquise fan btw, lovely stone! I think trillions can look really great but i prefer a larger stone with them. the pears give such a nice elegant flow, especially for a stone the size of yours. of course, do what makes YOU happy as you are wearing the ring!

What's your budget for the reset? That would help in suggesting a vendor.

MarquiseFanatic

Rough_Rock
First of all, thank you all so much! I didn't know what to expect, so thank you so much for this! Thank you for the info on side stones - I guess I thought I could price them out online to get a sense of what I should be paying. The quote from the small local jeweler with two small .33 triangle sides and a Frankenstein setting of a shank with side stones paired with a separate head was something like $2895 USD and all I know so far from the large chain jeweler is that the cost of the custom setting and the gold would be $1375 USD without the cost of the side diamonds, which they are researching now. So as far as a budget, I was thinking 3-4k?? Not sure if that's possible... do you guys think that's reasonable or am I waaaay off the mark? Before my husband bought me this engagement ring, I'm pretty sure I only owned one other diamond in my life, which is a tiny chip in an antique carved quartz dinner ring, so I'm new to all of this.

Thank you for all the links! I am drooooling over the marquise ring thread!!!!! And you've given me real food for thought with the pear shaped sides. I really like the look, but I'm not sure I like it as much as the triangles. The triangles seem to almost blend in with the center stone, making it look like a skating rink, ha. Which may or may not be considered a bad thing? But I find myself drawn to it for whatever reason. I will need to keep thinking about the sides. Many thanks to you all and thanks for the warm welcome!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like tucked in heart sides. Gives you the mix of triangular shapes of trillions, while still flattering the curves of the marquise like pears do.

Q

Queenie60

I agree with Diamondseeker. David Klass would be your best bet. Good luck and I hope you find the setting that makes you most happy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results