shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a buying an emerald cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cod

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm looking to buy an emerald cut. 1.55c E color SI1 clarity (stone has a feather) for $1500. Certified by EML? Don't know Depth or Table stats. Oh yeah, they also say the stone has been "enhanced." What does that mean? Is this a good deal or should I be wary of the feather? Thanks for your help.

Cod

Rough_Rock
Also, while I'm on the topic. I might as well ask your opinion on a setting. My girl is a big fan of a thick band setting with or without baguettes. Have any of you heard of an emerald cut in the Lucida setting? I'm really just looking for an original setting for an emerald cut diamond. Thanks again!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cod. The price suggests that the stone is a "clarity enhanced" (glass fracture filled) stone. I would bet it has an off make as well. Probably certified by EGL Israel, who certifies clarity enhanced stones by their present "appearance". The SI1 is in reality probably an I2.

Clarity enhanced stones have their purpose and their market, but be sure to research them thoroughly to see if they're what you want.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Rich,

What does "clarity enhanced" diamond mean? How exactly do they "enhance" the diamond? Do you think the side stones here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=970832503&rd=1

are also "enhanced" (the seller sells clarity-enhanced solitair) so the price is so low? Please advise. Thanks! GiGi

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Clarity enhanced - they drill into the diamond to remove imperfections (carbon), then "fill" in the holes. From what I have heard, you can tell a clarity enhanced stone by looking through either a loupe or scope (I believe the "fixes" show up blue?)
Personally, I stay away from them. Yes, they are cheaper than natural, untreated diamonds.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Gigi, that's the mounting, not a solitare. And it doean't say clarity enhanced on their ad. Did you mean a different auction?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
There's two types of clarity treatment-

Clarity Enhanced (fracture filled): You have a surface breaking fracture in the diamond, which gives a large whitish "feather" appearance when viewed with the naked eye, due to how the feather disturbs the refraction of the light.

The diamond is put in a vacuum, and a glass-like resin is sucked down into the fracture. The refractive index of the glass is nearer that of the diamond, and sometimes causes the feather to virtually disappear to the naked eye. Tarams is right in that one of the telltale indications of this is a one-tone "flash" of color, usually pink-lavender, but sometimes blue. (This is not to be confused with a natural "rainbow" refraction created by some fractures/feathers).

Laser Enhanced (drilled): You have a dark crystal imperfection which shows up easily to the naked eye. A laser beam drills a microscopic hole (.005mm) down to the black crystal. Sometimes this "burns" out the inclusion, changing it from black to white, making it less visible. If it's not burnt out by the laser, sulfuric acid is sucked down the drill hole to the crystal, bleaching it white.

Both of these treatments should be disclosed by the seller. The problem is, if the seller is not knowledgeable, sometimes he won't detect the treatment, and sells the stone unknowingly as non-treated. Then there's also the minority of cases where a seller just fails to mention it.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Rich, do you think side stones in a mounting would be treated? I suppose they could be, but I would tend to believe it's done on center stones. I think she was asking about baguettes.

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Hi Tarams,

I did not mean to make you uncomfortable about the ring you bought from that seller. The reason I would like to know is because the price is really great, there is a chance that the seller just uses the same "type" of stones for all rings, even on a semi-mount. Again I am no expert and can not say for sure, but from what I read, 30pts of all-natrual VVS2-VS1 CLARITY, E-F COLOR small diamonds will cost at least $300 alone, not to mention this semi-mount is 8.15 grams. So a final price of $529 is really either too good or....

:confused:

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
I can check my husbands stones when he gets in if you like. Better yet, just call DDD's 800# and ask them if they're CE stones or not. Chris is very nice & very helpful.

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Hi Tarams,

I did just what you suggested, I asked the seller directly They confirmed that all side diamonds are natural, untreated stones UNLESS stated in the ad. I am sure your husband's ring a a great deal and must be beautiful. I hope my question has not casued you any worries. ::)

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Not to worry! I totally trust that seller (otherwise I wouldn't have advised you to buy from them). I know my husbands dimaonds are real, and they're too small to worry about them having been clarity enhanced:)) My questions were for my own personal knowledge:read: and for your help. So did you decide to buy it???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results