shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a 5ct+ ring

bpc

Rough_Rock
of course you can work for me, help me find a nice 5.5ct!

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
I am dying to know....what is the story on needing an oval as well?! :confused:

bpc

Rough_Rock
anyone else recommend just a plain band?

a 4.75 finger is very petite, which is why I thought twice about whether the Asscher was big enough. as someone else noted, in asia everyone buys D IF type IIa, and the ladies compete on size. everyone has more money than sense, so that's clearly a battle i can never win. after seeing PSer's reaction to the Asscher I realized the best way to one up everyone is to spend less and yet still get maximum impact. hence the Asscher's appeal - great price with great optics. i am now very much looking forward to this!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpc|1450460358|3963078 said:

a 4.75 finger is very petite, which is why I thought twice about whether the Asscher was big enough. as someone else noted, in asia everyone buys D IF type IIa, and the ladies compete on size. everyone has more money than sense, so that's clearly a battle i can never win. after seeing PSer's reaction to the Asscher I realized the best way to one up everyone is to spend less and yet still get maximum impact. hence the Asscher's appeal - great price with great optics. i am now very much looking forward to this!

Did you see puppy4248's asscher? It's 4 cts and huge on her. Your ring is going to be ginormous on her 4.75 finger. I suggest tapered bullets and the rest plain. Of course platinum. I CANNOT Wait to see your ring...

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
LLJsmom said:

Did you see puppy4248's asscher? It's 4 cts and huge on her. Your ring is going to be ginormous on her 4.75 finger. I suggest tapered bullets and the rest plain. Of course platinum. I CANNOT Wait to see your ring...

Ditto! Tapered baguettes with rest plain. Yes!!!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tapered bullets or trapezoids with a plain shank would be a show stopper. I don't think you'll need to worry about the ring looking small on a 4.75 finger. Especially if you pair with side stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpc|1450377753|3962721 said:
So I bought the Asscher. 66k. Wholesaler was willing to offer a 2% discount had I moved more quickly, but the additional time to consider it was worth it. This was listed on EnchantedDiamonds for slightly less but good service ought to be rewarded. Will post pictures once Steven works on it. I think single row micro pave with no halo is what I'll go for. Thanks very much everyone for the help!

Actually, I may be in the market for another ring, this one for the other most important woman in my life. Anyone want to help me find a nice ring that is slightly bigger? I'm thinking an oval for this one :)

I would say that a pave halo might be a good idea if she is expecting a large diamond. A 5 ct asscher may look more like a 3-4 ct round.

I may have posted it earlier, but Victor did a halo on this 4 ct emerald cut and it really boosts the size appearance without being too much. I personally prefer tapered baguettes, but I am concerned that this is not going to have the impact of a 5 ct stone.

vc4ctec.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree w/ DS--if you want the asscher to look bigger, it is best to put a delicate halo around it. O/w, would recommend traps on the sides as an alternative.

bpc

Rough_Rock
oh I meant pupp4248's ring may look big because she has small fingers which doesn't apply in my case

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for a delicate halo, I love a step cut with an RB halo, I've worn one for over 8 years!

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for tapered bullets or trapezoids in a plain shank.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote for a delicate halo because size is important to you, and I have a feeling it will be compared side by side with other large stones and I don't want you and your lady to be disappointed in the spread of it. As the owner of an asscher the first few people who saw my ring as a solitiare could not believe it was over a carat. And mine has good spread for an asscher! Most people thought it was 80 points or so. The halo has really made it look larger in the best way and the contrast between the firey halo and the more subtle step cut means that no matter what kind of light the ring is in it's always sparkly (which was an issue at times when it was just a solitaire).

Whether you do a plain shank or not is up to you. Some people love the look (me), other do not-- my mother and grandmother both thought my ring looked unfinished because I didn't have a pave shank.

Personally, I'd err on the side of caution and do a pave shank on it.

simurgh

Rough_Rock
SparklySoprano|1450461895|3963095 said:
LLJsmom said:

Ditto! Tapered baguettes with rest plain. Yes!!!
+2
I wouldnt do pave on the shank or a halo - jmo, this is an elegant choice and i think those would detract from it. If you want more size, Id go w traps

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/avr-meets-avc-gog-prototype-inside.217414/

I love AVCs. But honestly I love the combo of the cushion shape with the flower pattern of the AVR. Did you see Andelain's only one in the world stone? It's amazing. You should ask GOG for a video. I checked with them and they can cut one just for you, but of course only if you like it. :).

Of course if your taste does not run this way, the AVC you linked is STUNNING!!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpc|1451254665|3966985 said:
Any thoughts on this for the second stone?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/5-04ct-j-vs1-august-vintage-cushion-diamond.html

No pictures yet on the Asscher, bear with me!

Fabulous stone! The only caution I offer is that I do not think it is appropriate to give your mother a diamond close to the time that you propose to your future fiancee (if the second diamond is for your mother). And especially be sure the diamond you give your mother is not larger than the one you are giving your future fiancee. (Look at diameter measurements, because the AVC may be larger than the asscher).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That J AVC is bigger than the asscher. No. I would drop to H color and go for a 4 carat for your mom.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi bpc

If you go to *this* thread on the asscher:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/5-33-h-vs1-square-emerald-strong-blue-fluor.217112/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/5-33-h-vs1-square-emerald-strong-blue-fluor.217112/[/URL]

and scroll about half way down, you'll see a post from a PSer called Missy who saw the asscher in real life and who said that tint was definitely visible from the side. There is also a profile photo in this thread which seems to show definite sideways tint. So if white color is important to you, this might NOT be the stone for you. Personally, I'd also be iffy on strong blue fluorescence as it's more visible to me than it seems to be to a lot of people and comes up looking milky in certain lights.

To throw in something different....

Here's a lovely cushion on James Allen. It's ctw is a little lighter, but it's dimensions are very similar to the asscher. I also think, unless you're positive that your girl wants an asscher, you're probably safer with a cushion:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/4.70-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-784325

This, in a halo, would be breathtaking. Also, at a G color, it should be considerably whiter from the side.

But if size is what you want, I'd stick with an oval, and if 'best possible' light performance AND size are what you're looking for, re-consider a round brilliant. This, for example, looks amazing to me:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/5.01-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-816838

And I agree with a previous poster; keep the diamond you buy for your mother (or whoever) markedly smaller than the one you get for your fiancee. And buy it later. You don't want to look like you've been talking to dealers and 'decided to knock off two gifts in the one hit'. So wait on giving the second diamond.

ETA - No. 5ct is definitely not too big. We have a 'show me your 5+ct' thread here, and many of the stones look wonderfully jaw dropping! It's also all in what you're used to, and a girl really can get used to seeing a 5ct round on her finger very easily! They're also smaller than ovals at the same ctw, which I believe you were considering earlier.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1451255846|3966995 said:
I haven't read your whole thread I'm sorry if this was already shot down, but I'd ask about the fluor on this

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/square-emerald-cut/7.53-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-817436

Ipost that just because I mean, the size!

Now this, this makes my heart go aflutter! Lol

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/5.02-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-564706

Nice stones Niel...that tiny table and high crown on that J is TDF!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

bpc

Rough_Rock
I definitely need to get a bigger stone than the Asscher - chalk it up to cultural differences. Thanks for the suggestions will look into them

bpc

Rough_Rock
I already bought the Asscher, but the tint didn't seem to be an issue. See some of the videos I posted. I'm going with a very delicate halo and micro pave so I don't think the side will be viewed much if at all

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpc|1451333719|3967479 said:
I definitely need to get a bigger stone than the Asscher - chalk it up to cultural differences. Thanks for the suggestions will look into them

bpc, you crack me up!! :lol: Go big or go home!! I will just live vicariously as you purchase your next boulder...

bpc

Rough_Rock
Pictures of a work in progress

0020.jpg
0021.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! That's beautiful! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results