shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with 3-stone setting

greatballsofire

Rough_Rock
So my sister and girlfriend are good friends, and I managed to get a bit of intel on the actual setting she wants for an ER. My girlfriend found this one online with my sister, and really likes it, although she doesnt need a tiffany's brand.

http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?GroupSKU=GRP10039#f+0/0/2002/0/0/2002

It looks pretty standard after viewing other 3-stone settings on BN, WF, Union, JA, etc.

I also found "Trellis" style 3-stone settings during my search, which I find to be a slightly more exciting and stylish version, without swaying too much from the style she picked out.

I am planning on purchasing a 1.5 carat RB center diamond or so. Is there any science to buying the 3-stone? Anything important I should know, ie skinny band vs thick band, size of diamonds on side, etc? She wants plain platinum on the band.

Thanks for any help!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think stone size ratio and finger coverage is the most important.

Which ratio is her preference?
file.jpg

What is her ring size so that you get an idea of finger coverage?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thin vs thick is up to her - some people prefer very thin bands as they make the diamonds look comparatively larger, but a thicker band will better stand up to torque of wear..

A couple of things on the design - also note on the tiffany how the sidestones are well-defined, and clearly rounded, and on the side profile you can see that the stones are almost on the same girdle plane (sidestones slightly lowered). Some threestone designs have the sidestones much lower (and usually much smaller) than the centre, so that they tuck underneath and look almost half-moon-ish from face-up; some have the sidestones at exactly the girdle plane as the centre.. subtle things that IMO change the look quite a bit :))

BGDcompare.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to suggest you look at Brian Gavin but can see I was beat to the punch. I LOVE their trellis or the Crossed trellis and they are FANTASTIC to work with.

Good Luck can not wait to see what you choose
:bigsmile:

greatballsofire

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much! You are right, that crossed trellis is beautiful! So this brings up another question. If I find a center diamond through another online retailer, how do you go about getting a setting form a different online retailer? Do you have the diamond sent directly to the company making a setting? I have read on here that it is advisable to go with one shop for both.

Is it possible to give a picture of a design you like to another shop to have them do a custom job? (I dont know anything about IP protection on jewelry design, etc...or even if there is any).

Thanks again for all of your helpful suggestions!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure if they will ship the diamond to the other retailer but perhaps someone else will chime in. If you get the stone and setting from different places, the stone will not be covered during the setting process so you would want to make sure the insurance policy is in place before the stone is set (this is not a big deal though). Generally you can send pictures and ask for a similar design but I don't think they can copy the design exactly.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Unless you're buying an in-house diamond (e.g., one that the merchant as purchased to hold in his own inventory), BGD might be able to sell you the diamond that you're trying to get via the vendors that they work with. You'd be surprised how many diamonds are "virtual" stones -- listed by many merchants, but owned by the wholesaler or dealer. If you have the cert #, it would not hurt to ask BGD.

greatballsofire

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone so much! Especially to Amysbling for the suggestion. I just purchased a BG crosstrellis with a BG signature 1.5c H SI1 center stone, and two .4c BG signature H SI1 side stones. (all stone eyeclean) I am very excited about it and cant wait to see the finished result! I'll post pictures when it arrives!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! I am soooo excited to see the finished product!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I would really like to see pictures! Please post when they arrive!

greatballsofire

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I am sorry again for all of the drama that followed this posting with BGD, but I received the ring and it is gorgeous. I proposed 3 weeks ago, and my fiancee couldnt believe her eyes! She is absolutely in love with it, and literally didnt stop looking at it for the 3 weeks I was there. (We are long distance at the moment). We received tons of compliments and are very happy. Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestings. I have attached a picture of the ring. It ended up being an H color, SI1 (eyeclean), Brian Gavin Signature Cut Diamonds (all three of them). The middle is 1.55 carat, with the two sides at .404 carat each. It is set in a Platinum BGD Cross-Trellis setting. It turned out beautifully and is a real sparkler.

Thanks again!

0002_IMG_2489.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy you didn't run screaming for the hills never to be seen again! It wasn't your fault that all heck broke loose.

The ring is just STUNNING! WOW. I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off it either if it were mine. It's just phenomenal. I'm so glad you are happy with your ring, and that your lady is happy with it as well. Congratulations on your engagement and on your purchase. Best wishes to you both!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wow! that is gorgeous :) please post more pictures! and I am glad to see you came back!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
greatballsofire|1294711468|2819358 said:
Hey all,

I am sorry again for all of the drama that followed this posting with BGD, but I received the ring and it is gorgeous. I proposed 3 weeks ago, and my fiancee couldnt believe her eyes! She is absolutely in love with it, and literally didnt stop looking at it for the 3 weeks I was there. (We are long distance at the moment). We received tons of compliments and are very happy. Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestings. I have attached a picture of the ring. It ended up being an H color, SI1 (eyeclean), Brian Gavin Signature Cut Diamonds (all three of them). The middle is 1.55 carat, with the two sides at .404 carat each. It is set in a Platinum BGD Cross-Trellis setting. It turned out beautifully and is a real sparkler.

Thanks again!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

All's well that ends well :bigsmile:

scepture

Rough_Rock
The ring looks great!! I am going to (I still have 4 months or so to search) be in the market soon and was strongly considering a setting like yours. Is it possible that you could post more pictures (face up preferably?). I have been looking in SMTB but couldn't find your ring. Thanks!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad you came back to post a picture of that beauty! It's gorgeous! Lucky lady you have there. ::) Congratulations on your engagement!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really beautiful ring!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love it!!!!!!! I've been looking at this very setting lately! It's beautiful!! :love:

Congratulations and all the best!

Cachette :))

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I saw BGD's blog of you guys. What a beautiful couple you are! I hope that you will come back from time to time, or better yet, send your FI over here to talk wedding details with us! I love to live vicariously. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results