shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with 2ct RB

throwaway92

Rough_Rock
Size above 2ct is diminishing returns for her. I know she wants a ~2ct and is color sensitive to having F+. So the final pieces are cut and clarity. Definitely ok with eye clean but just looking at Whiteflash with F, VS2, 2ct there are only a couple options.

I am not too keen on inclusions under the table in the below choice but if it is really eye clean we should be ok. My hesitation comes from her desire to have carat and color banded at 2+, F+ while explicitly stating it doesn’t need to be the perfect cut. I’d like to exceed that and get her a great cut but not sure if it makes sense.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3970294.htm

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Great! What's your budget? I am confused as I thought it was around $25000 or less?

throwaway92

Rough_Rock
Ideally 25k or under but could go as high as 35k set

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Here are 2 amazing stones. I think I prefer the premium select 2.3ct E VS2 over the ACA as the extra spread and color show more to me than the perfect cut of the ACA. Does the table leakage in the 2.3ct look poor?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3978038.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3913597.htm

There is a visible difference between the two in the videos. I prefer the ACA as it significantly outperforms the PS stone. IMO the extra spread is not worth the sacrifice in cut quality and performance especially when it is a few hundred more.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks - your view is that the leakage is not worth the size bump and E color?
No, definitely not, especially since you said over 2ct is diminishing returns.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@throwaway92 in terms of if swapping an F for an E is worth it for small sacrifice in cut....NO. There is a minuscule difference between E and F, I would be shocked if she were colour sensitive enough to notice a difference especially when mounted.
I have three D diamonds and some others in E/F colourless range as well as an I. Although the colourless ones are smaller so perhaps an unfair comparison, ONLY when they are next to the I can I see a slight difference in colour. However, I think D/E is important if it fulfils a psychological need.

throwaway92

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! I also see more sparkle in the 2.1 now that I've watched the videos a bunch of times.

How about F color in AGS vs E color GIA? I've heard that AGS F can be GIA G so the stones may be ~2 color grades apart?

beardog

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! I also see more sparkle in the 2.1 now that I've watched the videos a bunch of times.

How about F color in AGS vs E color GIA? I've heard that AGS F can be GIA G so the stones may be ~2 color grades apart?
Ask the associate at whiteflash to pull both stones. Give them your concerns & ask for an honest comparison. They'll give u an honest assessment on color/clarity comps as well as which one catches their eye as the better diamond.
Congrats you're about to get an amazing diamond

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Now maybe I am missing something but why would I not take an additional half carat in the below if both are eye clean? Similar price for such a big carat jump and excellent cut, no?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3954423.htm

Most PSers prefer VS2 or higher in 2+ ct stones as the inclusions are often larger and can be more readily seen with the naked eye. Ask WF if it is eye clean to your specifications. Their definition is eye clean in the face up position from 10 inches.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

throwaway92

Rough_Rock
Thanks! So what I am hearing (and seeing) is that eye clean at least regarding 2.5ct SI1 will be fairly visible on close inspection but won’t necessarily affect performance at arms length

throwaway92

Rough_Rock
Interesting. All else equal I am not sure why this shouldn’t be in the running. Will see if WF can do a side by side or something akin to an iPhone close-up. Thanks for all the responses and thoughts

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As other's have mentioned, SuperIdeal vendors are preferred on PriceScope simply because they make it easy to find a stone within the range of preferred dimensions for optimal light performance. However, this doesn't mean that you cannot find a well cut stone on the open market.

Other posters were right in saying that your original choices from James Allen were not well cut, especially the one with the 41.4 PA. These would not even come close to the performance of a SuperIdeal stone. But there are some other stones out there right now that are well-cut and would have similar performance to a SuperIdeal. You just need to know where to look. ;-)

Taking your criteria into consideration (2+ carat, F+ color, $25-30k) I found this one:
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-2.04-carat-f-vs1-yd4361588

Excellent cut (falls within the range of preferred dimensions and has an excellent arrow pattern), excellent clarity, looks to be a good performer from the video, over 2 carat, and about $28k. If you're interested, put it on hold and ask Yadav for an ASET image. Yadav is one of the best open market vendors for providing ASET images. :)

IMO the only reason to go with a SuperIdeal vendor is if you're interested in upgrading in the future. In such a case, then the SuperIdeal upgrade policy cannot be beat.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Regarding the SI1 I would definitely ask someone at WF to give you more information. Personally I would be happier with 0.5ct larger SI1! Obviously your fiancé may not prefer this. So I think its important to clarify just how "eye clean" it is.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Regarding the SI1 I would definitely ask someone at WF to give you more information. Personally I would be happier with 0.5ct larger SI1! Obviously your fiancé may not prefer this. So I think its important to clarify just how "eye clean" it is.

Agreed. If it meets your definition and expectation of eye clean, going lower in clarity is a great way to maximize size. The SI1 stone is cut well and has great proportions. I would consider the 2.526 SI1 and have it compared to the 2.095 F VS2.

throwaway92

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. I’ve asked to pull and compare. Wonder if they would take an iPhone close up or something like that to better asses real world appearance.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
you could ask them for a video in real life conditions? they may do it you never know!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results