shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! What are your thoughts on this diamond?

katlovesjames

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers

I'm only new to the wonderful world of diamonds and have been a lurker here for months trying to educate myself. But looking at all the beautiful jewel-encrusted pieces has been rather distracting. :loopy:

Would really appreciate it if you could give me your opinion of this diamond.

Shape: Cushion Modified Brilliant
Carat: 0.83ct
Colour: E
Clarity: VS1
Measurements: 5.53 x 5.15 x 3.42mm
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
GIA

I've read some negative comments regarding medium blue fluorescence in particular so any information or opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance. :wink2:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pics please. You can't buy cushions by the numbers.

Here's an article on Florescence: https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

Work with a vendor that can provide you with Pictures, ASET images and can pull the stone and have a gemologist look at it and tell you if the florescence has a bad effect. The answer will most likely be no as it only has Medium Florescence. But since it is such a high color stone, best to be sure.

Here is an ASET so you can understand what it is, and what it does for you: http://www.lexusindia.in/products/gb-aset-scope.aspx

If you are shopping in person, take a camera with you and buy an ASET. Take some images and post them if you want our opinions. Here is a thread on how to take good pics of jewelry. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-take-good-photos-of-your-diamonds.102989/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-take-good-photos-of-your-diamonds.102989/[/URL]

Personally, I'd drop both color and clarity and get a larger stone. I'd go for the biggest eyeclean H SI cushion I could find.

katlovesjames

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply Gypsy. I only have a size 4 finger so I'm not too concerned about going much bigger. I'm unable to see the diamond in person as it's in another state however I will ask for photos as you've suggested. The price quoted to me is $3100.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
katlovesjames|1333071490|3159585 said:
Thanks for your reply Gypsy. I only have a size 4 finger so I'm not too concerned about going much bigger. I'm unable to see the diamond in person as it's in another state however I will ask for photos as you've suggested. The price quoted to me is $3100.

I gotta tell ya, even on a tiny finger a 5.5x5 diamond is gonna be a bit small. You have a lot of room to go down to a G SI one at least and you won't notice any appreciable color difference or clarity difference (unless you loupe it) if the stone is eyeclean and graded by GIA.

Most stores/vendors will not have ASET image capabilities and will tell you it is unnecessary and gobbledy gook. They will tell you to buy with your eyes under their jewelry lights (which make any piece of carbon look good regardless). That's why you would need to purchase one yourself. I think it's 50 bucks. Great investment. And you can always ask the moderators to resell it on the Preloved Board and someone will buy it from you on here after you are done.

If evaluating the stone in person make sure you see it in diffused natural light (take it outside and put your hand over it to shade it). Direct sun light. Indoor standard lights (go away from the jewelers lights and put the stone in the thershold or somewhere else). And make sure you use the oils from your hands to muss the diamond up and get it dirty. So you can see how it will perform in real life, as stones are never perfectly clean for more than a few minutes after being cleaned. And definitely not clean all that often, therefore, even if you are a pricescoper and clean your rings daily or weekly like most of us do.

katlovesjames

Rough_Rock
I forgot to say the cushion is to be set in a halo setting (Harry Winston inspired) so it will appear a little larger on the finger. Having said that, it makes sense to consider up to a G SI larger diamond if it's eye clean. I'll be sure to ask my jeweller about this. Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results