shape
carat
color
clarity

Help wanted! Second opinion on these lab grown diamonds.

CountingStars

Rough_Rock
Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I would choose option #4.

1. HPHT method
2. Type IIa (void of boron, so it won't have a blue nuance)
3. It's an AGS Triple Zero

#1 would be my second choice, unless it's around the same price or cheaper than #4, then it would take the cake.

CountingStars

Rough_Rock
I would choose option #4.

1. HPHT method
2. Type IIa (void of boron, so it won't have a blue nuance)
3. It's an AGS Triple Zero

#1 would be my second choice, unless it's around the same price or cheaper than #4, then it would take the cake.

Option 1 is $350 less than option 4. I don't know much about HPHT method or CVD difference as it's confusing. Would option 1 have a blue nuance? This will be the wifes forever stone so want to make sure I get her the best stone. She will be upgrading from a WF 1 ct "a cut above" so ideally we would like something similar in regards to cut and sparkle. Upgrading to a 2 ct WF is out of our budget so we are looking at lab diamonds. I appreciate your help!

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Option 1 is $350 less than option 4. I don't know much about HPHT method or CVD difference as it's confusing. Would option 1 have a blue nuance? This will be the wifes forever stone so want to make sure I get her the best stone. She will be upgrading from a WF 1 ct "a cut above" so ideally we would like something similar in regards to cut and sparkle. Upgrading to a 2 ct WF is out of our budget so we are looking at lab diamonds. I appreciate your help!

You'll have a tough time upgrading from an ACA. Do you have videos of these stones?

aisa901

Rough_Rock
Option 1 is $350 less than option 4. I don't know much about HPHT method or CVD difference as it's confusing. Would option 1 have a blue nuance? This will be the wifes forever stone so want to make sure I get her the best stone. She will be upgrading from a WF 1 ct G VS1 a cut above so ideally we would like something similar in regards to cut and sparkle. Upgrading to a 2 ct WF is out of our budget so we are looking at lab diamonds. I appreciate your help!

I can't speak to the cut of the stones, but stone #1 is a CVD diamond, therefore will not have blue nuance, however, CVD stones come with the risk of other problems such as stria and or unnatural yellow/brown tones, neither which would be indicated on the certificate if they were present. Since stone #4 is a type IIa diamond, it will not have blue nuance and in my opinion makes it a better choice because as far as I'm aware, HPHT diamonds typically don't have any other undisclosed problems.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I can't speak to the cut of the stones, but stone #1 is a CVD diamond, therefore will not have blue nuance, however, CVD stones come with the risk of other problems such as stria and or unnatural yellow/brown tones, neither which would be indicated on the certificate if they were present. Since stone #4 is a type IIa diamond, it will not have blue nuance and in my opinion makes it a better choice because as far as I'm aware, HPHT diamonds typically don't have any other undisclosed problems.

Precisely why I narrowed then down to #4 as first place, then #1 as second place.

CountingStars

Rough_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Unfortunately I don't think any of these are going to hold up well next to an ACA. They all have some leakage (at least from the videos), and aren't cut anywhere near the standards of an ACA. I'm actually surprised that stone 3 doesn't look better in the video, becuase the ray tracing on the AGS report looks really good.

aisa901

Rough_Rock

Ada prides themselves on analyzing each and every single lab stone they offer and teasing out all of the stones with any problems such as stria or unnatural colors, so if you do buy from them, at least you can have some piece of mind that there shouldn't be any problems with the stone itself.

CountingStars

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I don't think any of these are going to hold up well next to an ACA. They all have some leakage (at least from the videos), and aren't cut anywhere near the standards of an ACA. I'm actually surprised that stone 3 doesn't look better in the video, becuase the ray tracing on the AGS report looks really good.

Thank you so much for your honest opinion. I think we will stick with WF then and upgrade to a smaller stone in our budget.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ada prides themselves on analyzing each and every single lab stone they offer and teasing out all of the stones with any problems such as stria or unnatural colors, so if you do buy from them, at least you can have some piece of mind that there shouldn't be any problems with the stone itself.

True, but these aren't anywhere near the cut standards of an ACA.

aisa901

Rough_Rock
True, but these aren't anywhere near the cut standards of an ACA.

I completely respect that. I'm only commenting from a stone quality perspective, not a cut perspective, I like to leave cut analytics to pro's like yourself ;-)

CountingStars

Rough_Rock

Good to know. They are super nice and seem very selective with their lab stones. Honestly, they were the only company we considered regarding a lab stone. At the end of the day though cut is the most important to us as she has been spoiled by a cut above from WF. I was just hoping i could skip the next few upgrades with a lab stone now. Thank you for your feedback!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely respect that. I'm only commenting from a stone quality perspective, not a cut perspective, I like to leave cut analytics to pro's like yourself ;-)

I totally agree with you about the quality of the stone itself. Sorry if my reply was curt, I was tying fast in between other stuff haha.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Jon at Distinctive Gem offers ideal cut lab diamonds! These would hold up well to her ACA and you could still go to a big size :)

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
You could also try reaching out to Better Than Diamond. They claim all their lab diamonds are super ideal cut (and the one I saw in person was indeed breathtaking). I tried buying two diamonds for earrings last year but sadly they were having massive issues with their inventory system, which hopefully is resolved by now. You'd definitely be paying a premium, but if you want a cut to compete with ACA, aside from having Jon find one for you, they might have a diamond to fit the bill.

I would email them to see what their available inventory might be for your desired specs, they had 700+ at one point then went back down to the 72 listed, my theory is they have access to more than they have on their website but something went screwy with a second party inventory system.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results