shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Trying to divert a friend from her "Journey"...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
I have a friend that''s dying for one of those necklaces marketed as the "Journey" style; you know, with a swoop of diamonds that "grow" in size "symbolizing the journey of your love" (quoting goofy radio commercial for local B&M jeweler).

I''m trying to talk her out of it by telling her that:

1) Unless she''s going the custom route, the diamonds could very possibly be sub-par and she''s going to pay WAY too much at for this at a B&M

b) The design is mind-bendingly trendy and will look dated by about this time...um...next week!

Any thoughts from the PSers that share my sentiment? Or should I just hush up and let her have her fun? It''s just soooooooo hard to mind my own beeswax; definitely not my strong suit.
2.gif

-J

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi BunniBling.

If your friend is dying for the necklace, I''m sure there''s no stopping her! I don''t know much about the quality of the Journey line, but I would assume there''s a range, but maybe I''m wrong.

I think your best bet is to go shopping with her and show her what to look for. Try to give her a little guidance on what a nice diamond actually is, what the effects of lighting are on lesser quality diamonds, etc. It''s better for you to give her the tools to make her own decision.

If she still wants the necklace, it''s no longer any of your business. It''s her taste and if it makes her happy, great - be happy for her. (Then in 10 years when she hates it, try not say, "I told you so!")
2.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I agree that they will be dated before you can even say the word dated. They are pretty though!

I would point her in the direction of some of the whiteflash diamond pendants that will never go out of style!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
I also agree that the design will be dated pretty quickly since there is a definite "appearance" of this design and prolific marketing campaign that goes along with it.

The quality of the diamonds will vary I'm sure and if she wants to pay more she will get a good selection.

I've never been a fan of expensive jewelry that can be seen as trendy. A lot of people, though, want to jump on the band wagon, or be the first with the latest new style. If your friend is one of those people she will be very happy with her acquisition for a while, then maybe she can reset into something else. The diamonds will stay beautiful no matter how they are re-arranged later.

I say she should go for it since she is so desirous of the piece and get diamonds that are pretty enough that they can be recycled into another project and still shine!

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
starry, suzy and lucky:

Thanks for the responses. I thought after I posted about how hard it would be for me to be dissuaded from something I had my heart set on. For the record: Pretty damn difficult.
9.gif

I think I''ll go on the look-see w/ her and point out some pretty solitaires (WF is a great idea, too!). That''s truly a classic look that will always be fabulous.

And, as Suzy mentioned, if she just HAS to have the Journey style, then she can always come to me later for advice about resetting. :)

Thanks all!

-J

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
If she really has to have the journey necklace will she consider buying online? I know Whiteflash has a stock journey necklace. I bought my circle necklace from them and I get compliments all the time.

Just a thought...

KT

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the IDEA of it, the sentiment, but it can be a bit trendy and over with soon. I love three stone rings, that got a marketing campaign too, for past present and future, but I think they are a bit less trendy in the long haul...if she is a good pal you could try to get her to pick something more permanent like a nice solitaire stone, like Belle''s beauty...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let your friend buy what she wants, but encourage her to buy from a place with good quality. Here are some reasonably priced journey pendants, and my melee from a custom ring by them was nice sparkly and white. As far as taste goes and whether it will go out of style...let her get what she is dying to get. I actually don''t think they are so trendy that they won''t look nice in a few years. Think about tiffany dog chains and other similarly trendy things that are still in style.

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=252&start=2

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
I checked and several sites offer the Journey necklace. Including Blue Nile and James Allen.

If you really wanna be sure she gets quality stones and performance for her money, here''s one:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Pendants/WF--Journey--Pendant_1083.htm

ACA melee are supposed to be great performers. And if the necklace style looses it''s luster, your friend will have some wonderful, well cut stones for a new project.
1.gif

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I actually really like the journey pendants!
30.gif
If you could just talk her into getting one with great stones, then at least she will have some very nice stones should she ever want to reset into the newest trend.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
Um, I love my journey pendant. I got the 1/2 carat one from bluenile and the diamonds are very good quality. It''s a line of diamonds-- how can that become dated? Like the open circle and other trends before it-- it might be more popular at certain times, but it''ll always look nice.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I''ve directed my friend to WF and BN after telling her that PSers have had good luck w/ quality and price. She asked "What''s Pricescope?"; I answered "The BEST consumer resource ever for diamond info!". So she''ll probaby be cruising though checking threads for ideas and reviews immediately...
1.gif

BTW, hope I didn''t offend anyone with my "dated" comment in the original post; NOT my intention.
17.gif

Happy SPD!

-J

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
How can any journey with ideal cut diamonds be bad??? You did the right thing directing her to online sites were she can get one with quality stones. One of my friends received one of these necklaces for her birthday and it is just beautiful. If she loves the design that is all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results