shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Trying to decide about melee size for wedding band!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a crazy question but would greatly welcome opinions. I am in the process of updating my wedding set and I ended up going with the Novela setting from BGD. I absolutely LOVE the setting, but I decided to order a full eternity version of the Novela band as it spins a lot and the lack of uniformity will bug me over time. The engagement ring features .02 melee stones and I love the delicate look of this especially as a contrast to the center stone (1.7 round). The wedding band also features .02 melee stones, but for some reason its width is slightly thinner than the engagement ring (2.1 mm for the engagement band and 2 mm for the wedding band). I am toying with the idea of having the wedding band made with .025 stones rather than .02, a very slight difference, but one that may make the two bands more comparable in width. I don't want to have a discernible difference between the bands but I wouldn't mind giving the wedding band a bit more "backbone" as it is hardly noticeable next to the engagement ring. I think that .03 stones would be too much of a difference but .025 may be the sweet spot.

Just for reference, here is a link to the Novela engagement setting: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/novela-platinum-5372p and matching band: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/w...ity-bands/novela-matching-band-platinum-5480p

My question is, will it look strange having .025 stones in the wedding band and .02 stones in the engagement band? Should I just stick with the exact same size melee so the stones will line up more, or bump it up slightly so that the wedding band has more of a presence? It seems like a trivial difference but I just don't want to end up with regrets. All thoughts and opinions are welcome!!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: Help! Trying to decide about melee size for wedding band

carbonfan|1449686684|3959435 said:
My question is, will it look strange having .025 stones in the wedding band and .02 stones in the engagement band? Should I just stick with the exact same size melee so the stones will line up more, or bump it up slightly so that the wedding band has more of a presence? It seems like a trivial difference but I just don't want to end up with regrets. All thoughts and opinions are welcome!!

Melee diamonds are generally sold in size ranges. This means that a .02 diamond can be from 1.56 to 1.8mm in diameter while .025 melee can be from 1.81 to 1.88mm in diameter. This is from Stullers web site and is from their standard melee selection. As you can see the ordering of different sizes can get you the same sized melee. Even if the worker putting this together makes a point of using larger stones for the ".025" melee, they are still probably only going to be ever so slightly larger than the .02 melee. Remember that .1mm is about the same as the thickness of a piece of copy paper and when these are set in two lines right next to each other I doubt if you'll be able to see the difference. You should ask the maker, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over this choice.

melee_size_range.jpg

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Help! Trying to decide about melee size for wedding band

Thank you for this clarification; this is very helpful! I suspected it was a trivial dilemma to have, but this really helped to put it in perspective. I just didn't want the two rings to look out of balance, but it sounds like there is nothing to worry about. Many thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results