shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Torn between Cartier Solitaire 1895 and Pave Solitaire

transformer

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm so glad I found this forum!

My bf and I were having trouble deciding between Cartier Solitaire 1895 and Pave Solitaire. I love the bling of the pave, but i'm wondering if 1ct might look too lost with all the side stones. I also like the elegance of the simple solitaire, but i'm thinking it might look a tiny bit too plain.

Which one would you choose? We really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Solitaire 1895
http://www.bridal.cartier.us/#/bridal/the-collection/set-for-you-by-cartier/select-your-diamond/(mount)/316761
Pave Solitaire
http://www.bridal.cartier.us/#/bridal/the-collection/set-for-you-by-cartier/select-your-diamond/(mount)/316739

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Re: Help! Torn between Cartier Solitaire 1895 and Pave Solit

I've tried both a few months ago and it took me several trips to Cartier to make up my mind and set my choice on the pave solitaire... as long as you don't see it on your own finger it's almost impossible to decide.

The first time I tried both I was ready to get the 1895 with no pave and the next time I changed my mind as soon as I put the 1895 with pave on my finger...

Also, I don't think the center stone is lost in the pave, but it's definitely a matter of taste. If you want the center stone to "pop" more you will have to go for the no pave solitaire.

As a conclusion both are gorgeous and you won't regret it whether you choose the pave or not :appl:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I like the one w/o the Pave. You can always get a blingier wedding band/anniversary band down the road to give you more bling :D

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

your links didn't copy right for some reason, i'll repost and see if they work. I vote for the solitaire for the e-ring and then you can do a pave wedding band...best of both worlds. With a solitaire you can mix and match and stack bands and I personally just love that look.

http://www.bridal.cartier.us/#/bridal/the-collection/set-for-you-by-cartier/select-your-diamond/(mount)/316761
http://www.bridal.cartier.us/#/bridal/the-collection/set-for-you-by-cartier/select-your-diamond/(mount)/316739

Picture%204_1.png

Picture%202_2.png

ETA: links didn't work for me either, for some reason it isn't copying the item number..

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

I recently tried on the Cartier 1895 and loved it, so it gets my vote. I also loved the Cartier bezel setting...... :love:

cheers--Sharon

transformer

Rough_Rock

Thank you all for the super fast replies. And thanks mrssalvo for posting the photos!

I have been in and out of Cartier store many times to try on the rings, and change my mind every time I revisit. I simply can't decide! Even the kind sales lady said I'm quite contradicting, because everyone usually go straight for one or the other since they are the opposite of each other.

Those of you who have a simple solitaire, do you find yourself getting bored of it years down the road? Do you ever find it not unique enough? Thanks!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

I wore a solitare for 20 years before changing to a three stone ring, now I yearn for my solitare back! That said I did wear my ER with an eternity ring or plain band, so it was like having more than one "set" to choose from. I find solitares timeless and classic.

cheers--Sharon

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

It's a ver personal decision but I just love pave and all the bling. However, I am not a fan of the Cartier pave in that ring. I like designs that are a bit unique but still timeless.

transformer

Rough_Rock

I forgot to add, I also feel that the simple solitaire is classic enough for variety mix and matching. But my bf feels like the e-ring should be intricate enough to stand on its own, because that's the unique piece that represents his sincerity. Soooo hard to decide ...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

I don't have either, but I've definitely drooled over the plain solitaire at Cartier many a time :) I prefer the classic 1895. You can always get a pave wedding band to go with it for some extra bling, the classic is very very timeless and elegant, and I also think the pave solitaire's shank is a bit thicker than what I personally prefer (versus the 1895).

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock

I like the classic look of the solitaire without the pave. I agree with the pp who suggested you can bling up with your wedding band or an anniversary ring.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would definitely go without the pave too. How large of a stone are you considering? That might have a bearing on the decision too.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

solitaire for me!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Ahhh, I really liked this setting when I was looking for e-rings. Ultimately, I liked the look of the pave solitaire (cuz I like the bling). I don't have a Cartier set, but I recall loving the pave solitaire, even paired with the matching ring (DH said, that's a lot of bling...).

Have you tried it with a matching wedding band? That may help you decide if you're not sure. Trust me, it's a whole lot of bling (and finger space). Also, do you want a bigger stone? The costs are significantly different. If you want a bigger rock, you may want to go with the plain solitaire rather than get a smaller stone with the pave.

transformer

Rough_Rock

Yimmers, I did try them with the matching bands. I definitely did not like the pave with the pave band. I think it's a bit too much bling for me. If we go with the pave, I will probably go with a more plain band (which is a rare mix and match). If I go with the solitaire, I'll definitely match it with a band with loose diamonds.

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, my ring is very similar to the plain 1895, I guess my hesitation about it is that there are so many rings that will look like it and you will be paying a premium for the Cartier name with a less than unique design. Are you sure you wouldn't rather have a larger diamond and get a designer to make you a similar handmade setting? If you are 100% decided on Cartier, then I would choose the plain setting and get a diamond wedding band (in fact, that is what I did!).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I feel like if you are going to shell out the huge premium for the name, you should choose a really signature and unique setting from the designer, something you can't easily get elsewhere. For me, neither of these options fits that bill. Maybe that is why you cannot choose. Is there a different setting or style you like better?

transformer

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the new perspective! I do see what you guys are saying now. It was actually my bf who picked Cartier. I think we shall take the time to look around a bit more before focusing on Cartier. Thanks!

ked123

Rough_Rock

You really have to go try it on and see what you like. I have a Tiffany solitaire and I got sick of the setting the first year of having it. Way to simple and plain for me, but I know people love it. Over the years, I've bought 5 different bands (channel set, shared prong, shared prong with alternating sapphires and diamonds) in an effort to dress it up- but none of them do for me what a more elaborate setting would. I cannot wait to re-set the ring for an upcoming anniversary.

Also, not to start the brand debate (and I myself am an owner of several branded pieces), but I agree with the poster who mentioned purchasing a piece more uniquely Cartier if you go that route. If I had to do it again, that is what I would do. When I get my ring re-set, it will be into one of the less widely copied settings.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I love the sets with a plain solitaire and pave wedding band. The reverse .. I just haven't seen and would imagine it to be a bit strange? I guess my preference is pave e-ring with pave wedding band ... not too much bling for me and I think it looks gorgeous.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock

If your really can't decide, a 1895 solitaire with their Ballerine pave wedding band looks great too...it's a nice alternative if you don't wan't something too blingy :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd take a look at WhiteFlash, Good Old Gold, and Brian Gavin to see how large an ideal stone you could get and allow a couple thousand for a non-pave handmade setting. How much was the Cartier ring with a one carat stone? What color/clarity are you looking for? Total budget?

Examples:

My daughter has this gorgeous solitaire by Vatche:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/caroline-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-288.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2631628.htm (1.23 H VS2 for under $12,000 with the pricescope discount)

It is relatively hard to find a selection of ideal cut stones at most local jewelers. And the cut is what makes the beauty of the stone more than any other factor. I would encourage you to read some under the knowledge section of this site to learn more about diamond cut. We had someone one time visit Cartier and Graaf and others, and they found that the diamonds they used were very good, but not always the best cut. Many of us here have opted for the best diamonds and have had settings custom made and ended up with much nice rings than had we gone with a name brand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results