shape
carat
color
clarity

Help/thoughts please?Potential Head Obstruction on this rock

FreddyH

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I feel fortunate that I was able to find such a valuable resource such as pricescope - your forum has provided great insight due to the many diamond experts that frequent this online community.

Over this entire research process, I have turned from someone who thought that diamonds were just sparkly pieces of carbon to someone who has a decent (I hope) understanding of the dynamics of light and its interaction with the proportions in a diamond.

I’m currently in the process of buying a pre-owned stone and I am concerned about head-obstruction. The pavilion angle is 40.4 degrees
and from what I’ve gathered from various posts in this forum, there are head obstruction issues with this pavilion angle in certain crown angle combinations.

Now this stone has a steep crown angle at 36, does anyone know if a steep crown could lessen the degree of obstruction?

I plan to meet with the seller to verify that there are no head obstruction issues and that it is eye-clean. If everything goes to
according to plan, I fully intend on having an appraiser review it for authenticity and damage as it has been worn for a little less than a
year.

The private seller (a doctor in Toronto) is posting it for CAD 8700 with some negotiating room. He said he purchased it from distributor called Corona.

What does everyone think of this stone? Are there any additional steps when purchasing a pre-owned stone that I should be aware of?

I appreciate and welcome any feedback. Thanks in advance.

-Fred

HCA Score - 0.9 Excellent in everything except for spread which
received a Very Good

Date of Issue: August 02, 2006

Round Brilliant

Measurements: 7.10 - 7.16 x 4.37 mm
Carat Weight: 1.37 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Very Good

Proportions:
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 36.0°
Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.4°
Pavilion Depth: 42.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Additional twinning wisps are not shown. Surface
graining is not shown.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Re: Help/thoughts please?Potential Head Obstruction on this

was that a GIA report?

FreddyH

Rough_Rock

Sure is.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well, I don't think you will see anything too horrid in the diamond given that the angles are fairly complimentary and the long-ish lgfs might help a little too in balancing things out. Look at the stone in lots of different lighting and see what you think. You might also want to go to a store selling AGS0 stones first to sort of "train your eyes" a little before seeing it, so you know what to expect from a well cut diamond.

Online prices for a new stone of those specs is about $9000 USD. So clearly the seller being overly optimisitc ;)) He likely paid much more, and likely has an "appraisal" stating it is worth much more, but that does not mean you should pay what he is asking since you could get a similar stone brand new online for the same price he is asking. I would offer about 50% of the online retail price, if you really like it and it checks out with the appraiser. Maaaybe 70% of online retail. But it is very hard to sell diamonds on the secondary market, so take advantage of that ;))

BTW in case you did not know, you can buy from online companies in the US and import to Canada and all you pay is GST/PST.

FreddyH

Rough_Rock

Thanks Dreamer_D.
Just wondering: what website did you use to arrive at the price of $9,000?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results