shape
carat
color
clarity

Help......Terrible job setting heart stone in Verragio, very frustrated....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
Today I went to pick up my heart diamond (3.67) in my new verragio setting. What a disappointment. The head of the ring is quite large and the prongs quite thick I guess because of the size of the stone and it being a heart, well... when I looked at the prongs, one had a big gouge that wasn''t polished and the other ones had wads of metal particles from where they jewler cut out the platnium to set the stone. I could see it with a naked eye because the prongs are substantial, but when I told the jewler to buff it out they told me that couldn''t (it was under the diamond not on top of the prongs) they told me they would 90% nick my diamond polishing it and handed it back to me. I told them, I''m really not a picky person, but it was really bad. He said that the only way it could be fixed was for them to remove the stone and even then they might not be able to fix it. They said a whole new head might have to be made or they have to send it back to verragio. I told them whatever they needed to do, it wasn''t acceptable. I asked why it was done so poorly and he said it was because they didn''t have my stone to make it with....I gave them all the measurements from the gia report to do it????

Anyway, they said they would try and fix it. Does it sound right that they couldn''t fix the prongs and would have to get a whole new head for the ring? I don''t know about jewlery design, but can they add more platnium and then buff it out smooth and reset it? They told me because the "nature of the metal" that it''s not easy to fix. It looked like little wedges were cut out of the prongs and the diamond set into that, and not the prong wrapping around the diamond...the prongs were kinda hard and pointy on top.

I left my diamond, now I''m concerned that they might nick my stone trying to polish it or something. I called them and asked them to call me back tonight and they ignored me...and they have my stone!!!!!

I''m going to call them tomorrow, they said they would need a day to fix, if it''s not right, and they can''t fix it, can I take my stone and just forget the whole process. I say this because if this is the only in house jewler, he obviously doesn''t know how to set a heart diamond. I picked a standard verragio setting but they said it had to be custom made because of the diamond be so large and the fact it was a heart, I didn''t make any changes. If it''s custom, would I be responsible for buying the setting even if it was horrible????

Also, could I take the stone and crazy head to another jewler and have them make a new custom head, or would I have to send it back to Verragio?: I like the setting part, just the head is all messed up now. Should I find an independant appraiser to look at the stone to make sure they didn''t chip it while trying to fix the prongs? How can I verify my diamond is ok?

Any opinions would be great as I have go see them tomorrow...

Thanks so much...
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is almost always recommended that a stone be sent to the designer to set. We hear so many negative stories when people order designer settings and have the stones set locally. I''d insist the whole thing be sent to Verragio. They may need to make a new head. I''m sorry that you are having this problem, but next time do send your stone to be set by the designer if you want it done right.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I feel for you. I had a family diamond set quite a few years back and the setter was re-creating a cast from a ring they had in stock but couldnt order as a setting only. He screwed up the setting and it looked clunky and awful. I ended up taking it to another jeweler and he gave me the options to: re do the entire ring but I''m losing the money I paid for the original setting; try to straighten out the wonky prongs; or pay a few hundred and have him cut off the prongs and redo them. I chose the latter because it seemed to difficult to use the original prongs. All this is to say that if I were you, I''d not call tomorrow - I''d go in in person and talk to the store manager. If it cannot be resolved, I would try to take my stone and not purchase the setting, and find another setter.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''m really sorry to hear this, Trishy.

I''d be VERY NERVOUS having the same ''jeweler'' "try" to fix it. If it were me, I wouldn''t want them to touch it again, and would insist that the stone and mounting be sent to the designer to be done properly. (You might even contact Verragio yourself and tell them your situation.)

Good luck..
widget

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Trishy,

That''s awful that the jeweler messed up the setting, but you should definitely send it back to Verragio for a new head. I also have a Verragio setting, a solitaire, and I needed my ring to be reset a few weeks after I got it.

My first asscher that we picked out was WAY too deep (we didn''t know when we bought it) so even though it was 1.64 carats, they used a 1 carat setting because it faced up small. When we found out that it was a very deep stone, we went back and exchanged it, because when I told the jeweler I wanted something around 1.5 carats, I was thinking something that faced up around 7 mm. With an asscher, we actually had to go up in carat weight to get that size, so I assumed that they would just adjust the prongs to fit the new stone - the difference was from 6.4 x 6.3 mm to 7.2 x 7.1 mm.

However, the jeweler told me that they would have to send it back to Verragio to get a new head made, as their jewelers couldn''t do it themselves. It took about two weeks, but Verragio was very nice & replaced the head for no charge. However, the prongs are now not as perfectly shaped as I had hoped, so we''ll probably end up changing the setting eventually anyway - it doesn''t look bad, I''m just ultra-picky and liking something more with claw prongs now instead.

If I were you, I would definitely have them send it back to Verragio - I wouldn''t trust the same jeweler to do a better job than they originally did.

Good luck, and I can''t wait to see the finished product - it sounds like it''s going to be beautiful!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry too Trishy. I agree with the other posters that I would send it to Verragio and have them fix it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh Trishy, I am sorry too. Really listen to the wise advice you've been given, have the stone set by Verragio. If it were me, I'd pick your stone and setting first thing in the morning. I'm not liking the sound of this jeweler. Your stone is too important to be nicked, etc.... Please let us know what happens.
ETA: any stone is important, but a heart of this size, is rare so extra care needs to be taken.
2.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
SOOOO sorry, you should be spending your time repling to requests of more photos from your PS buddies. Instead you are stressed and frustrated that someone didn''t do it right the first time.

I believe your ring is as you describe...and I think for any artisian/craftsman/and then on to the salesman to say his (their) work is done, while metal burrs or shavings are still attached, is not one I would trust with the wax ring on my toilet!! Verragio and a 3.67 stone set is not a crackerjack secret toy suprise!! Your ticket represents a major purchase.

Contact Verragio and ask them if you can count on them to make this right. In good faith you purchased your setting from an authorized dealer. Trusting that they had trained them how to set their settings. I am sure they will come through for you...and appreciate the opportunity to add a photo of your boulder as finished work.

Keep us updated on your progress.

DKS

Oh, tell them there are members on Pricescope eagerly awaiting a post on a solution!!

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. I''m just sick about it all. Now I''m worried that he might have wrecked my stone and that''s why they didn''t return my call this evening. That''s exactly what it was, metal burrs ffrom the prongs...and not just on one prong.... It was so bad, I was just shocked. They really didn''t ''want to fix it. I''m going to go over there as soon as they open and ask them to ship it to Verragio. I should demand other than the shippping, I shouldn''t have to pay for the new head, should I????

I''ll let ya know what happens.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trishy, I ordered a designer setting before Christmas and the jeweler suggested that rather than sending my stone off to the designer to be set he would just set it here when the setting came. It was a disaster. Stone too high, the delicate split prongs had been melded together into uneven blobby single prongs--just a wreck. I had the whole thing sent back to the designer and they fixed it all perfectly. Don''t let the jewler touch the thing again; get it back to Verragio. And don''t pay a penny for this, it is not at all your fault!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi trishy! everyone has given you good advice and i have nothing better to offer. i just wanted to tell you i hope that this gets settled for you today and that you end up with a great ring.
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh Trishy, I am so sorry for your current situation--hope it getrs resolved to your satisfaction, soon. Take care of yourself and that stunningly beautiful stone!!!!

cheers--Sharon

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 10:40:01 PM
Author:trishy44
Today I went to pick up my heart diamond (3.67) in my new verragio setting. What a disappointment. The head of the ring is quite large and the prongs quite thick I guess because of the size of the stone and it being a heart, well... when I looked at the prongs, one had a big gouge that wasn''t polished and the other ones had wads of metal particles from where they jewler cut out the platnium to set the stone. I could see it with a naked eye because the prongs are substantial, but when I told the jewler to buff it out they told me that couldn''t (it was under the diamond not on top of the prongs) they told me they would 90% nick my diamond polishing it and handed it back to me. I told them, I''m really not a picky person, but it was really bad. He said that the only way it could be fixed was for them to remove the stone and even then they might not be able to fix it. They said a whole new head might have to be made or they have to send it back to verragio. I told them whatever they needed to do, it wasn''t acceptable. I asked why it was done so poorly and he said it was because they didn''t have my stone to make it with....I gave them all the measurements from the gia report to do it????
I wouldn''t trust measurements even with a round, let ALONE with a heart - too many variables and slight bulges that are not specified on the grading document. Even with a sarin 3D model I wouldn''t not send my stone.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 10:17:29 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Trishy, I ordered a designer setting before Christmas and the jeweler suggested that rather than sending my stone off to the designer to be set he would just set it here when the setting came. It was a disaster. Stone too high, the delicate split prongs had been melded together into uneven blobby single prongs--just a wreck. I had the whole thing sent back to the designer and they fixed it all perfectly. Don''t let the jewler touch the thing again; get it back to Verragio. And don''t pay a penny for this, it is not at all your fault!
before I said another word I scrolled down to find dee jay so I could highlight what she said and give a resounding DITTO!!!!!!

16.gif

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
Well, I ended up calling this morning as soon as they opened to stop them from working on it, and they said that were actually in the process, they started last night. The saleman said he brought it to the owner who agreed it needed to be fixed. The salesman said it helped having the owner ask the jeweler/setter to fix it rather than just the salesman. The salesman told me he didn''t know where they were in the process but the stone would not be damaged. He said it would be removed from the setting and totally redone. I told him I thought the prongs were very very large and bulky and that I liked as delicate as prongs I could get on this setting (don''t know how possible that is, also because it''s a heart) so the salesman said it would be much easier to make the prongs smaller rather than try and rebuild them and set it again. So, I decided since they were in the process to just go ahead finish it. They told me it probably wouldn''t be done until Tuesday.

If I''m unhappy with it, I''m going to send it to Verragio on Tuesday. It''s so frustrating because it''s just a solitare setting with just .5 of diamond chips, not like some "masterpiece" that would be impossible to fix or redo. I wanted to show off the stone, and odd shape of the stone, so I went VERY plain, the guy at least has to have the prongs right....

I''ll keep ya updated, they said they''d call me later today with an update.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results