shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: Square stone do not line up with ring band (with pic)

mclarenf1

Rough_Rock
Just received my ring today. Am extremely excited that the diamonds are so sparkly and how delicate the setting is.

However, I am quite upset that my square hearts and arrows do not line up perfectly with the ring band. It seems somehow twisted at an angle and it bothers me. Should I be upset? Is this normal? :( :( :(

It's the Novela setting with the Quadex stone from BGD.

photo-4.jpg

I do not live in the US. Is it worth sending the ring back because of this?

Please advice! :cry:

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Help: Square stone do not line up with ring band (with p

Do you have a more close-up picture of the ring?

Did BGD send you pictures prior to shipping the ring?

mclarenf1

Rough_Rock

Yes. But these were sent after it was shipped as I requested it to be sent ASAP so that it would arrive before my trip where I was intending to propose.

BrianGavin_Novela3b_062811.jpg

Does the picture help?

I think I can see what you are talking about. Bummer. Seems BGD has had a quality control issue lately... :knockout:

jaebond

Shiny_Rock

bean|1309462430|2959308 said:
I think I can see what you are talking about. Bummer. Seems BGD has had a quality control issue lately... :knockout:

Can you explain? I was looking to do a custom mounting with them in a few months...

pixies

Shiny_Rock

bean|1309462430|2959308 said:
This! A poster in SMTB posted her beautiful new legacy-style e-ring. They set a ruby surprise stone in the band instead of in the gallery area (where the surprise stones typically are on legacy-style rings). Some posters may have missed the post about the issue since there wasn't a dedicated thread to it. Yssie had issues with her lovely bracelet. Another poster received a pendant with the wrong type of milgrain. All of this has occurred pretty recently. Hmmm.....

It looks ever so slightly tilted to me. I think it's one of those things the general public would not notice but the owner would recognize instantly and scrutinize it until it's fixed. I'd definitely contact them.

That said, the ring is very pretty! Hopefully BGD will make things right with you ASAP!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I don't see it so much in the BGD pic but on your finger it looks like the top left prong is off. I have an asscher and depending on how I'm holding my hand, I sometimes think that the diamond is crooked or is a bit off, and then I'll look from a different angle and won't be able to find what I was seeing before.

I agree though, that no one else will probably see this, but being the owner I think it will drive you crazy, and depending on what exactly the problem is, it could become a durability issue. I would contact BGD, if they are having quality control issues it needs to be brought to their attention, not to mention that when you drop a large amount of money for a quality piece of jewelery, you want a quality piece of jewelery! So sorry, hopefully it is a very minor and quick fix!

ETA I've taken another look and I think you are right it does appear more twisted on the hand then I had initially thought, If it were my ring it would go back at their expense.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, the legacy-style ring in STMB is mine. It is a frustrating issue, but they seem to be happy to fix it at my convenience. I am still very happy with the ring and the whole experience with BGD despite the hiccup.

Also, there is a recent thread here in RT about a 5-stone ring that was not the setting the poster ordered. I believe she had them remake the ring in the proper setting.

pixies

Shiny_Rock

ChloeTheGreat|1309739247|2961309 said:
Yes, the legacy-style ring in STMB is mine. It is a frustrating issue, but they seem to be happy to fix it at my convenience. I am still very happy with the ring and the whole experience with BGD despite the hiccup.

Also, there is a recent thread here in RT about a 5-stone ring that was not the setting the poster ordered. I believe she had them remake the ring in the proper setting.
I love your ring btw! I have that setting saved in my bookmarks, very pretty. I bet it is frustrating though to have to part with it. I wouldn't want it to leave my finger! Are you going to leave the ruby in the band as well when you send it back to be fixed?

The five-stone ring debacle (which I had forgotten about) would have really made me :errrr: due to all the missteps in that transaction, wrong setting, wrong cert/diamond confusion...

I'm hoping everyone's rings are fixed to their liking with great speed :wink2: !

pixies

Shiny_Rock

mclarenf1|1309458130|2959245 said:
Just received my ring today. Am extremely excited that the diamonds are so sparkly and how delicate the setting is.

However, I am quite upset that my square hearts and arrows do not line up perfectly with the ring band. It seems somehow twisted at an angle and it bothers me. Should I be upset? Is this normal? :( :( :(

It's the Novela setting with the Quadex stone from BGD.

photo-4.jpg

I do not live in the US. Is it worth sending the ring back because of this?

Please advice! :cry:
I missed the bit about you not being in the US. Shipping costs can be pricey, I'd definitely want that reimbursed if you do send it back.

I might see if a competent B&M could set it straight for you. The negative on that is it'd be awful if they messed up the prongs. It may be worth the time/money/energy sending it back to BGD just for the peace of mind. I'd also ask for super macro pics before they ship it back to you to make sure it is to your liking since you are out of the country.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock

Not to threadjack...

Pixies: thanks! I love the setting too. I tried on soooo many halos during my shopping process and everything about this one is perfect. I believe they are going to leave the ruby inside the band. It doesn't really make a difference to me, but I won't argue with an extra ruby. :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just want to say that I LOVE that diamond and it is perfect in the Novella setting! :love: I think I'd have to see it in person to really tell whether it would be noticeable enough for me to go to the trouble of sending it back. I hope it all works out the way you want, though!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your diamond and the setting are both amazingly beautiful but I can see what you are talking about. If you are like me you'll see it all the time so I guess if it will bother you I'd have them try to fix it. Also since this is not your fault hopefully they will pay for shipping if you decide to send it in. Good luck.

luckky

Shiny_Rock

Sorry to hear that and all the difficulty you have to go through if have to send it back. But I think they will reimburses for you. Lately I noticed that their QC not good, I got my diamond studs which is one of the diamond I picked its been sold long time but shown on website available, they find me another one. I'm OK with it, then I order another set of studs for BD gift to my baby sister. I was order 3 prong martini and very clear on order, when I got it came in the package with 4 prong basket :( but they are very sweet and helpful though to fixed it but just kinda pain... that they should pay attention for all the details, because this is all about detail oriented. Or may be they are so overwhelming with so many orders?

Your ring is so beautiful, I hope you find the solutions for fixed it OK, contact them send it back if bothering you. You will ware that ring forever or long time till your upgrade, should ware it with happy and made your heart sing :) Good luck and cheer!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock

GET IT FIXED!!!! Trust me, you will notice this forever and it will drive you nuts. I can see it in the BGD photos. Though it is more prominent on your hand. I have a BGD set, but prior to this, I had a princess WF ACA in a mall setting. That stone was perfectly square but never looked square in my setting. I hated it. It got to be where I would rarely wear the ring because I couldn't stand looking down and seeing what appeared to be a warped stone. I tried to have another local jeweler fix it and he got it slightly better, but not much. I knew no matter what that ring would always look that way to me. I'm so glad to be rid of that! I'm very surprised by all the BGD issues. They are generally so detailed oriented. To mess up customer requests is one thing, but in this case, well was the cast off to start? That just seems odd. . . this is not something I'd expect to see from them. Trust me this will annoy you forever, so get it corrected.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I agree that you see a problem and understand the situation. I suggest before you ship it that you find a local and competent jeweler local to you if at all possible to simply examine the ring and to either agree that 1. it is really crooked and 2. what is the cause. It could be a very easy prong position adjustment or thickness issue, or it could be something requiring more time, skill, etc. Sometimes any work like this is best done by the original vendor due to liability issues, but distance and cost sometime mitigate the reason to stick to that scenario. What I'm saying is to get a professional opinion locally and not to rely on good people here looking at an image in only 2 dimensions. It could be a simple, and local fix, or it could be a little problem that really needs the attention of the original seller where the expense and time is simply worth the extra effort.

For sure, those who admire the ring on your finger generally do not estimate if it is pointed exactly North and South, but I know how closely owners often examine their jewelry. If you see a problem, you are entitled to having it attended to until you find the item totally to your liking. Obviously, some folks are easier to please than others and all quality control has to be tempered with common sense limits. QC is one of the most difficult issues which faces jewelry manufacturers. Very few items really are "perfect" Most have very slight irregularities and getting perfection often is not justified by the larger added cost. QC at that level becomes a very difficult judgment call. QC practices have to constantly be reviewed and examined to make the right decisions and sometimes the people doing the QC work become lax and need a quick slap, too.

I'm sure this is something that BGD would want to make right, but the distance you are away seems to suggest to me that you should inquire a bit locally first before deciding exactly how to act. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results