shape
carat
color
clarity

Help sourcing a 2-3 carat ideal cut lab diamond

geminist

Rough_Rock
Hi all. Am looking to source a 2-3 carat round brilliant with a GIA equivalent color of H or better, and SI1 or better as long as totally eye clean. Cut and light performance is a priority. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks very much.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Budget is to be determined based on market.
Ok--and are you sure you want a lab diamond vs. one of the AGS 000 moissanites? Or lab diamond vs. ideal cut diamond? Just trying to figure out the parameters here.

geminist

Rough_Rock
Right now I’m focusing on lab diamonds over 2 carats. If it turns out the price differential isn’t that great, I’d reconsider a natural stone, but at this carat size I think it will be.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. I'm not an expert on lab diamonds, but I like the grading reports from GCAL better than IGI because it gives much more info. I went on brilliant earth and only looked at stone that fall within the PS accepted ranges of "ideal" and "complimentary" crown/pav angles. Obviously these don't have traditional ASEt/IS images, but here are ones I think are worth inquiring about further:

Biggest to smallest (the first 2 are over 3cts, rest are between 2-3)
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7201829/
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7201827/
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7243575/
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/6608987/
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7252159/
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7110736/

If any of these appeal, I'd ask BE about getting additional images. I (personally) don't like the idea of paying more for D color since I'm not color sensitive, but obviously people differ so that's 100% up to you!

geminist

Rough_Rock
That’s a great starting point. Thanks very much!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhine also offers a concierge service, so he may well be able to pull in a stone you've seen somewhere else and assess it for you for a small fee.

geminist

Rough_Rock
Rhine also offers a concierge service, so he may well be able to pull in a stone you've seen somewhere else and assess it for you for a small fee.

That's a great service. Thank you for the tip!

NoviceAP

Rough_Rock
Also check out growndiamondcorp.com. The cutting quality of their stones is actually pretty good. You can find something like that on BE too but there are a lot of poor quality stones on there as well so you have to do the work to pick out a good one.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
Also check out growndiamondcorp.com. The cutting quality of their stones is actually pretty good. You can find something like that on BE too but there are a lot of poor quality stones on there as well so you have to do the work to pick out a good one.

I reached out to GDC about a diamond and they advised that they don’t sell directly to consumers as they are strictly B2B. In fact, the rep I spoke with accidentally offered the price for a diamond I was interested in and his boss asked me to forget about the conversation and email correspondence (as if). BE and other MMD vendors that source from GDC appear to be making big profit margins (to the tune of $1000 based on inventory listings of stones with same specs as the one I inquired about). But that’s the nature of this industry.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
ADA Diamonds May be another option as they offer lifetime upgrade, but confirm with their policy for restrictions. I spoke with one of their concierge reps and she was knowledgeable of HCA, ASET, etc and was willing to search for specs that were as close as possible to super-ideal parameters. Worth checking out.

https://www.adadiamonds.com/terms?_...hZaWpmN0JEalpoejdVRHFOaE1wcmxOOFROc3FhQlhDZTc.

Also, per their website, “Ada Diamonds purchases lab diamonds directly from the public through our Public Purchase Program.”

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reached out to GDC about a diamond and they advised that they don’t sell directly to consumers as they are strictly B2B. In fact, the rep I spoke with accidentally offered the price for a diamond I was interested in and his boss asked me to forget about the conversation and email correspondence (as if). BE and other MMD vendors that source from GDC appear to be making big profit margins (to the tune of $1000 based on inventory listings of stones with same specs as the one I inquired about). But that’s the nature of this industry.
I think that's the nature of any industry with higher value goods and lower turnover rates - a person has to make some money to live! lol

NoviceAP

Rough_Rock

Really? That’s surprising because I almost bought a stone from them and the rep I talked with didn’t mention anything about selling only to retailers. Maybe things have changed since then.

And yes agreed about huge profit margins....

NoviceAP

Rough_Rock

I see. Thanks! I got a 1.88 carat stone from BE and I thought the price was reasonable (and it was a stone from GDC), although I am thinking about downsizing to ~1.65...... don’t know if I would regret it down the road since I can’t upgrade on an MMD but still debating..

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
I’d recommend going to a local B&M that has a 1.6-1.7 ct to see side by side with the 1.88.

This site also shows visual comparison.
https://www.diamdb.com/compare/1ct-round-6.2x6.2x3.90-vs-0.9ct-round-6.3x6.3x3.8/

Input dimensions (l,w,d) for both diamonds, update finger length and circumference/ring size to match yours and will provide decent representation of finger coverage by each stone.

Also, Ada, another online MMD retailer, offers a lifetime upgrade policy and buys pre-owned 1+ ct MMDs. Something to consider unless you’re set on a BE setting.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really? That’s surprising because I almost bought a stone from them and the rep I talked with didn’t mention anything about selling only to retailers. Maybe things have changed since then.

And yes agreed about huge profit margins....
I think I looked at that site but it made you put in a business name and its contact details before they would send any listings to you??

NoviceAP

Rough_Rock
I think I looked at that site but it made you put in a business name and its contact details before they would send any listings to you??

I signed up without putting in the business name and was able to see the list but it was a while ago so things may have changed. I can’t log in anymore so maybe they closed accounts for individual customers.

BlingADing

Shiny_Rock
Contact Ani at Icing on the Ring in LA. I got an amazing stone made by Grown Diamond Corp with gcal certificate which is very all inclusive and detailed.

Ani Rupchian

Senior Advisor

GIA Diamonds Graduate

p:

213-622-6150 m: 323-401-4914

e:

[email protected]

a:

607 S. Hill St. #316

Los Angeles, CA 90014

www.IcingOnTheRing.com

Attachments

• EEE67413-9BF8-4800-AAA0-7AE97C532C48.jpeg
    EEE67413-9BF8-4800-AAA0-7AE97C532C48.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 32

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contact Ani at Icing on the Ring in LA. I got an amazing stone made by Grown Diamond Corp with gcal certificate which is very all inclusive and detailed.

Ani Rupchian

Senior Advisor

GIA Diamonds Graduate

p:

213-622-6150 m: 323-401-4914

e:

[email protected]

a:

607 S. Hill St. #316

Los Angeles, CA 90014

www.IcingOnTheRing.com
Have you seen the tracking links on that website link? lol

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess not- not savvy enough I supposed. Copied it from her email to me.
Everyone is doing it nowadays, it drives me slightly insane!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results