Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - should I "melt" two stones into a bigger one?

Help me make decision

  • get 2.53 and keep 1.38, make two rings

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • get 3.02 and sell 1.38, one ring is enough

    Votes: 9 69.2%
  • get 3.02 and decide one 1.38 later

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • get 2.80 and keep 1.38, a few more $$$ out but make two rings

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • really no need two rings. sell 1.38 no matter which one to get

    Votes: 1 7.7%

  • Total voters
    13

bluemoon2

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
117
First, thanks to many of you who have made this forum full with wonderful information/knowledge/advice/suggestion.
I definitely have learned and benefited alot from reading over many posts.

One advice I get from the reading is to get a stone the budget permits so that don't keep upgrading when DSS happens.

How did DSS happen to you? Can I tell if DSS will come to me years later? how big is enough?
I guess it's hard, so I like to hear your suggestion from your experience.

Here is my story --
I had my first upgrade in 2007 from 1.08 H VS2 to 1.38 E VS1 ideal cut. I made my original eStone 1.08 H VS2 into pendant - closer to my heart. The 1.38 E VS1 was set in my original 6-prong solitarie setting and I have been perfectly happy with, except that I feel it's small when put it next to my new 5-stone ring that I got last Fall.

Since then I have felt I need a bigger stone. Unfortunately I had been pretty busy with my work and I did not put it in action until recently -- the price has been up a lot . :errrr:
During April, I found a few of stones based the cut knowledge I have learned here. then I narrowed them down to 3 stones in 2.5-2.7cw range and with you experts' input I put one of them on hold about 1.5 weeks ago - I VS2 2.53 ( just after that the price was up another ~5% :shock:). Then two days ago I found two bigger stones with nice cut. 2.80 and 3.03 -- unfortunately after the price increase I observed. They cost a lot more. Look like the price will keep going up until we all give up purchase( will you?). So I asked myself if should go for a bigger one. So I arranged to view them all together today.
In term of size, I know I am now happy with 2.53cw. But I don't know if I will think about 3cw+ 5-10 years later.
With 2.53 I VS2, I don't plan to sell or trade in 1.38 E VS1 which I got an offer more than what I paid for ( still 4-5k less than market value). The key reason I don't want to let it go is that I like it. I plan to halo it and make it bigger. Also with owning an E stone, I feel fine to lower color and make this purchase more affordable. But it does look small when put it next to 2.53-3.0cw.

In term of color, of corse E is much better or whiter than H/I from the side view. But it's hard to tell much diff with my un-trained eye from the faceup. H is just a little whiter then I from the side view. Among the choices I am fine with either I or H.

In term of Cut, both 2.53 and 3.02 are equally nice and they are better than 2.80 (GIA symmetry is VG, HCA 0.8 ex/ex/ex/ex) .
Without putting them side by side, it's hard for me to tell the difference.
The gemologist suggested to pick between 2.53 and 3.02

In term of clarity -- 3.02 SI1 is eye-clean from top/side view. Under loop, I can see a white inclusion off the table onthe side. I have no issue to accept it.

Finally it comes to the tough part -- the size and $$.

Yes, 3.02 is 0.5mm bigger than 2.53 I VS2 with additional $13k. :roll:
It kind like to "melt" (2.53 I VS2 + 1.38 E VS1) together for a 3.02 H SI1.
2.80 is 0.3mm bigger than 2.53 with $4700 more and less cut quality
Hmm I cannot decide... I feel I am losing my head. Help me vote it, and I attach some not very good pictures to show the size different.
2.53 still give a wow if not put it next to 3.02.

1.38cw E VS1, 7.14mm, GIA
2.53cw I VS2, 8.76mm, GIA
2.80cw I VS2. 9.06mm, GIA
3.02cw H SI1, 9.27mm, AGS

001.JPG

020.JPG

024.JPG
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,337
I'm not really practising what I preach, as I have more than 1 ring and yet have been lusting after a Big 'Un. But a 3ct should be worth more than 2 smaller ones and at the rate diamond prices are rising, a 3ct will become even more expensive and harder to obtain later down the road should you change your mind/ should DSS kick in again!
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,822
I would eliminate any that are not excellent cut. I'd also say to choose the 2.80 just to avoid the price increase at 3 cts. except you indicated that stone was not as well cut. I really do not think you should limit yourself to this one jeweler if you are not doing a trade-in. I'm thinking, though, if You have a larger e-ring, you may want a larger pendant and the 1.38 would be a nice size for a pendant if you have a 2.5 ct. + e-ring. Then set the current pendant stone as one of a pair of studs at a carat each.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,147
bluemoon2|1306384147|2930560 said:
First, thanks to many of you who have made this forum full with wonderful information/knowledge/advice/suggestion.
I definitely have learned and benefited alot from reading over many posts.

One advice I get from the reading is to get a stone the budget permits so that don't keep upgrading when DSS happens.

How did DSS happen to you? Can I tell if DSS will come to me years later? how big is enough?
I guess it's hard, so I like to hear your suggestion from your experience.
years later??.. :lol: you mean weeks later??.. :bigsmile:
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
Sparkly_Not_Gaudy|1306457052|2931307 said:
What is DSS in this context?
Diamond shrinkage syndrome. Afflicts people who spend too much time on PS, their diamonds somehow shrink right before their eyes! :rodent:

OP: My vote is to shrink the two stones into the 3ct, for the reasons Pheonix describes.
 

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
12,111
Dreamer_D|1306469811|2931474 said:
Sparkly_Not_Gaudy|1306457052|2931307 said:
What is DSS in this context?
Diamond shrinkage syndrome. Afflicts people who spend too much time on PS, their diamonds somehow shrink right before their eyes! :rodent:

OP: My vote is to shrink the two stones into the 3ct, for the reasons Pheonix describes.
Ditto Dreamer! I would trade in the 1.38 towards the 3 carat. I hope you'll post pictures once you get your ring!
 

bluemoon2

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
117
Dancing Fire, you got me!!! LOL, yes just weeks later indeed. :bigsmile:
2.53 I VS2 is the one you helped picking it out from 4 candidates earlier. It's so beautiful and looks very big!!!
I placed the order already. But then run into two nice bigger candidates.
I had a bigger one as my choice too, but it was unavailable.
However I found it's avail again tonight with $2k more on its price tag. :((

Pheonix, DiamondSeeker, Dreamer, and thing2of2 -- Thank you so much for chiming in!
I included 2.80 in my choices for the reason it's bigger but without 3cw price tag, and 3.03 to be one of candicates since it's hard to find a nice cut in 3+ range. Three stones were picked with their own differnt good reasons, then the different cost makes a tough decision.

I am putting my head back togther better tonight, and think I should focus on the cut/performance/light return first.
Then think about size/cost. I don't need to trade in 1.38 for the purchase, so will decide what to do later and make this purchase easier.

Honestly wihtout putting 2.53 side by side with 3+, it's hard to see much size difference.
One side of me is thinking about a bigger nice cut in 3cw range and SI1 eye-clean is hard to find.
But I am not a big spender unless it makes sense, so other side of me is debating hard if worth $13k for 0.5mm bigger.
From the 1st picture (taken from more than one feet above), you can see that 2.53 is not smaller than 2.8, and 3.03 is just a little bigger than other two.

The better cut made 2.53 look as big as 2.80 -- at this point, I eliminated 2.80 from my list and replace with new candidate:
3+cw I SI1 : 57, 61.3, 35, 40.6 ( need to check eye-clean -- it may have a good chance.)

Is this new candidate as good as other two?
2.53 I VS2 55, 61.5, 34.5, 40.8
3.03 H SI1, 57.3, 61.2,34.7, 40.8
Among 3, which is more positive in cut?
please chime in about cut based on spec. TIA.

DSS = Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome -- Dreamer explained it well. :))
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,147
bluemoon2|1306474692|2931518 said:
Is this new candidate as good as other two?
2.53 I VS2 55, 61.5, 34.5, 40.8
3.03 H SI1, 57.3, 61.2,34.7, 40.8
Among 3, which is more positive in cut?
please chime in about cut based on spec. TIA.

DSS = Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome -- Dreamer explained it well. :))
base on just the #s i like the smaller table 2.53ct
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    A 1.7ct Upgrade For A 17th Anniversary
    A 1.7ct Upgrade For A 17th Anniversary
    A Classic Solitaire
    A Classic Solitaire
    August Birthstones: Peridot And Sardonyx
    August Birthstones: Peridot And Sardonyx

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top