shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - Should I keep this asscher? And if its a keeper how do I set it?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
C349DE21-5006-411E-9141-DEFE66C6110A.jpeg It’s french cut, not an asscher, but to give you an idea of finger coverage in a 3 stone, this one on JbG’s site has a 4.5mm by 4.5mm (ish) centre. I think it holds its own as a 3 stone, rather than looking like a band. May give an idea of perspective? And yours is larger.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think a baguette (or even a round, but something clean and not too distracting) halo with a reasonably sized airline (ie big enough to be seen) would give you both the hand presence and let you see the shape and the steps. Alternatively, what about the 3/5 stone layout you like but with bezels or halos?

Thanks for your suggestions. I do like halos but I have more or less ruled out halos because I already have 2 other halo rings, and bezels because I don't want to reduce the light performance in any way.

54B628BB-D460-4BE2-B478-7323446E0AE3.png

Are you interested in colored stones at all? Maybe a caliber cut halo (I know you said no halo). Or a three stone with asscher\emerald cut rubies? upload_2019-3-26_16-33-42.jpeg

I will certainly think about coloured stones as side stones. The difficult bit is finding a way to do it that doesn't overwhelm the centre diamond.

I understand your hesitation. Caysie is a master with bezels, however, I completely understand why you’d avoid the design.
I believe to achieve the look you want, with emphasis on the center stone and the corners, you should use tapered baguettes or tapered French cut baguettes, an open setting with either double claw prongs, or petite, flat prongs to emphasize the corners. If you decide on 5 stone, adding step cut traps would look lovely. You could bezel set the traps, and allow them to blend more smoothly into the setting for comfort and a sharp vibe, and add milgrain to the bezel for the antique/deco flow.

Matthews1127 these are good ideas, and probably closer to what I am trying to achieve.

C349DE21-5006-411E-9141-DEFE66C6110A.jpeg It’s french cut, not an asscher, but to give you an idea of finger coverage in a 3 stone, this one on JbG’s site has a 4.5mm by 4.5mm (ish) centre. I think it holds its own as a 3 stone, rather than looking like a band. May give an idea of perspective? And yours is larger.

lissyflo that is a beautiful ring, thanks for posting it. It works really well in that arrangement. You have the advantage that your french cut is perfectly square so there is plenty of "room" to fit decent sized side diamonds up against it.

I'm in the annoying the situation with my asscher that the very feature which attracted me to it (the large clipped corners) is the same feature that's making it difficult to design a 3 stone ring for it :wall:

Last edited:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK so I made a scale model outline of my diamond and some imaginary side diamonds out of paper so I can play around with layouts and proportions.

Here it is with tapered baguettes 3.6mm long by 2.7mm thickness at the wider end
20190327_183817.jpg

Here it is with 3.3mm x 2mm baguettes plus 2x2mm carre cuts
20190327_183733.jpg

With traps and carre cuts. The traps are only 3.2mm long x 1.5 deep. It's the original look I was considering but in reality they would be so tiny I don't know if it would even be noticeable that they were traps once prongs are added too. And that's if I could even locate some that small....
20190327_183635.jpg

Just to confuse the issue further, if I didn't keep this asscher I would get an oval.or elongated cushion. Using the same "side stones" I tried out some layouts with the kind of oval I could get for similar price/carat weight:

20190327_183455.jpg 20190327_183910.jpg 20190327_183539.jpg

In some ways the proportions of the oval look more pleasing to me with these layouts than the asscher. The oval could also take bigger side stones without overwhelming it so that could give a bigger overall look, especially bigger traps in the 3rd image.

What to others think? How do the layouts look with the asscher? Will such small side stones show up well enough once set? Do the layouts look better with the asscher or oval?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK so I made a scale model outline of my diamond and some imaginary side diamonds out of paper so I can play around with layouts and proportions.

Here it is with tapered baguettes 3.6mm long by 2.7mm thickness at the wider end
20190327_183817.jpg

Here it is with 3.3mm x 2mm baguettes plus 2x2mm carre cuts
20190327_183733.jpg

With traps and carre cuts. The traps are only 3.2mm long x 1.5 deep. It's the original look I was considering but in reality they would be so tiny I don't know if it would even be noticeable that they were traps once prongs are added too. And that's if I could even locate some that small....
20190327_183635.jpg

Just to confuse the issue further, if I didn't keep this asscher I would get an oval.or elongated cushion. Using the same "side stones" I tried out some layouts with the kind of oval I could get for similar price/carat weight:

20190327_183455.jpg 20190327_183910.jpg 20190327_183539.jpg

In some ways the proportions of the oval look more pleasing to me with these layouts than the asscher. The oval could also take bigger side stones without overwhelming it so that could give a bigger overall look, especially bigger traps in the 3rd image.

What to others think? How do the layouts look with the asscher? Will such small side stones show up well enough once set? Do the layouts look better with the asscher or oval?

I’m a fan of all of the above.
I’m a step cut lover, so I’m all about the Asscher!!
I love carre cuts, and I believe incorporating them in your design will compliment the Asscher, well!
I love the traps with Carre cuts!! I don’t think they’ll get lost, at all....regardless of their size! If anything, they’ll set center stage for your Asscher.....

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your kind words on my thread. I hope that you have taken your lovely diamond to a jewelry store and tried out side stones and settings. I did that today and with side stones the asscher had more presence on the hand. I prefer your third option, too. It has a pleasing flow to my eye. The first option is also nice but the second option lacks flow. Will you have a local jeweler make it for you or send it out to a PS jeweler?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m a fan of all of the above.
I’m a step cut lover, so I’m all about the Asscher!!
I love carre cuts, and I believe incorporating them in your design will compliment the Asscher, well!
I love the traps with Carre cuts!! I don’t think they’ll get lost, at all....regardless of their size! If anything, they’ll set center stage for your Asscher.....

Matthews1127 Thanks for your input, definitely food for thought. I'm going to try out some ideas incorporating carre cuts, traps and/ or tapered bullets and see what looks good.

Thank you for your kind words on my thread. I hope that you have taken your lovely diamond to a jewelry store and tried out side stones and settings. I did that today and with side stones the asscher had more presence on the hand. I prefer your third option, too. It has a pleasing flow to my eye. The first option is also nice but the second option lacks flow. Will you have a local jeweler make it for you or send it out to a PS jeweler?

Princessandthepear, I will definitely try my diamond out in various settings as you suggest. That should help me narrow down my setting choices. I will probably have a local jeweller make the final version for me. Did you find a setting style you like for yours?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results