shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - Should I keep this asscher? And if its a keeper how do I set it?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a follow-on from my previous thread about an asscher I was considering.

20190325_141529.jpg 20190325_150435.jpg

I ordered it and have spent a few hours enjoying it today :D I think its a good asscher, and I have always wanted one. I've been looking for a long time. But....... I'm not sure that's its big enough to be able to appreciate the steps and the lovely shape. Its 1.26cts and I think its faces up quite well for the carat weight at 6.14 x 6.09, but I know I would be happier with 7 x 7 ish (although a stone that size will cost a lot more than I wanted to pay, given that it's not my main ring).

20190325_133315.jpg 20190325_133457.jpg

Here it is next to a 0.8ct cushion and a 1.14ct EC. Although they are both in halos which gives a bigger look anyway, when you compare the size of the centre diamonds to the asscher, the asscher doesnt seem to have more presence considering the extra carat weight. I knew that asschers face up small but I was hoping that one would satisfy my size needs. I wouldn't want to halo it, I was thinking 3 or 5 stone setting with other step cuts like baguettes or bullets. But I'm not clear if this will show the asscher shape off well enough and also whether it will give enough finger coverage.

On one hand I'm not sure if its big enough to really show its asscher qualities, and on the other hand it took so long to find this one I'm not sure I want to let it go :think:

I'm a size 5 finger. For perspective here it is against my 7.5mm round brilliant:

20190325_134032.jpg 20190325_141908.jpg

If I could decide on a setting which would give it presence on my hand (but not a rub-over setting), emphasise the cut corners and asscher shape, add some extra glitter with side stones and get a generally art deco-ish kind of look going on then it might help me to decide to keep it. But I cant decide whether these things can all be achieved with this stone. Also because of how clipped the corners are there is only a width of 3.3mm for any side stones to butt up against in a setting, so this rules out trapezoids or anything too chunky as it will look out of proportion

I would really appreciate any helpful input from other asscher owners (how big does your stone need to be in order to be able to appreciate the cut), and anyone else who could give me ideas about setting.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I cut out some paper tapered baguettes to see how much finger coverage I could get with a 3 stone. How does this look?
20190325_153041.jpg 20190325_153102.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes you should keep it ... its a gorgeous Asscher... and do something like this... I was planning on doing this myself... for the right asscher.... one day :evil:

Bullets and Tycoon Trapezoids.

upload_2019-3-25_17-51-12.png

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a keeper!
My recommendation: contact Caysie at CvB_ID to build a setting around your stone.
She works magic!!
I know she can design something perfect for your stone!
Step cuts, frenchies or rosies, oh my!!
Caysie would be my first stop!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an idea, pertaining to the Art Deco vibe....
A halo with an air line would be Art Deco, give you finger coverage, and not swallow the center stone. If it’s designed properly, the airline will allow extra light through to allow the Asscher to perform to its fullest potential. You can actually use baguettes in the halo, with rounds or round rose cuts around the halo....and place side stones along the shoulders, like tapered baguettes....
Similar to this, only square, with baguettes, or French cuts....with an air line between the bezel & the halo...
6C6890E6-9E71-438D-8D65-AC6943833AE9.png A3F6EA75-22B3-432C-960C-BFF9F85E2D05.png
More like this....
AE3F6C52-B017-4685-BFF1-493C8C85CC96.png BBA08C3D-EBAD-47D4-AFB3-27DFB552357D.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Should you, only you can answer.
Is the stone a keeper, I would say yes!
But those are different questions.

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It’s so gorgeous. I feel like this stone holds its own when it comes to size imo. Even next to the 7.5mm round. I love the facets. I hope you love it enough to keep and we get to see it set!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just has to do this :} 10 miles deep and great contrast and brightness mix.
34032.jpg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it, especially the very clipped corners. I think the CvB suggestions from @Matthews1127 would look amazing, emphasise the size and give you a very deco vibe. There’s also a recent thread where someone had a baguette halo on an emerald cut, which would give a similar flavour.

Having said that, I have an asscher with tapered bullets and love it. Your paper cut outs are a great idea! You could always stack it to give you more coverage overall, especially if you have your larger round already?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes you should keep it ... its a gorgeous Asscher... and do something like this... I was planning on doing this myself... for the right asscher.... one day :evil:

Bullets and Tycoon Trapezoids.

upload_2019-3-25_17-51-12.png

We are thinking along similar lines :D I love those tycoon traps, but I don't think they would come in a small enough size to work with my asscher. If they did, then they would be so small as to be a waste of time. But if I went for square or tapered baguettes or bullets then maybe that tycoon/ french style cutting would be the way to get some extra glitter into the design whilst keeping the steppy theme going.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just an idea, pertaining to the Art Deco vibe....
A halo with an air line would be Art Deco, give you finger coverage, and not swallow the center stone. If it’s designed properly, the airline will allow extra light through to allow the Asscher to perform to its fullest potential. You can actually use baguettes in the halo, with rounds or round rose cuts around the halo....and place side stones along the shoulders, like tapered baguettes....
Similar to this, only square, with baguettes, or French cuts....with an air line between the bezel & the halo...
6C6890E6-9E71-438D-8D65-AC6943833AE9.png A3F6EA75-22B3-432C-960C-BFF9F85E2D05.png
More like this....
AE3F6C52-B017-4685-BFF1-493C8C85CC96.png BBA08C3D-EBAD-47D4-AFB3-27DFB552357D.png

I love that second design - its stunning. But for this ring I was hoping to go with a more simple, cleaner look. I can never decide what I think about airline halos. I have seen some where you can see glimpses of the supporting gold/ platinum structure underneath the airline gap which I am not keen on. But others can look lovely. I expect its partly down the skill and execution of the design.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it, especially the very clipped corners. I think the CvB suggestions from @Matthews1127 would look amazing, emphasise the size and give you a very deco vibe. There’s also a recent thread where someone had a baguette halo on an emerald cut, which would give a similar flavour.

Having said that, I have an asscher with tapered bullets and love it. Your paper cut outs are a great idea! You could always stack it to give you more coverage overall, especially if you have your larger round already?

Can you post of a photo of your ring? Its sounds lovely! Love your gorgeous dog by the way :lol:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it. My personal feeling (I own one) is that asschers shouldn’t be bezeled, but that is just my preference. I went full on modern with my setting by CVB

IMG_3392.jpg

Yours is lovely! My first thought was that I would prefer to avoid a bezel. I did try wrapping a sliver of tin foil around the girdle to see how much it effects the light performance. Its hard to tell for sure because it was a bit of rough approximation. I don't think it effected the light performance of the stone too much, but it certainly didn't improve it! I do like the way that a bezel emphasizes the outline shape of a diamond and adds a little to the visual presence, but I still think I prefer prongs and a setting which is fairly open and easy to clean.

I tried rolling the asscher around in my hands to see what it looks like dirty. Lets just say, it clearly needs to be kept clean in order to perform its magic! :roll

That is one thing which does bother me about the asscher (and my other EC as well). So I'm looking for a setting design which will add some additional glitter as insurance against a sleepy centre diamond (if its gets smeared between cleans). I don't want to be looking down at my finger and seeing no life there at all. But would french cut side diamonds achieve this, or do they lose their magic quickly between cleans too? An obvious choice would be brilliant cut pave but I am trying for a 3 or 5 stone look and would rather go with straight line shapes if I can.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here’s asscherhalolover’s 1.06 in a bezelled halo:

upload_2019-3-26_8-37-0.jpeg

Another vote for keep!

I love that look - (see my avatar :D). If I hadn't already done this with my EC then I would definitely have gone with a lovely halo for the asscher. Now I have made my life much more difficult trying to come up with a different setting so I can get a different look with this piece :wall:

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Yes!!!!!! That is exactly what I had in mind when I first started my asscher search. Only problem is that asscher is huge so it works really well with the side diamonds. I cant see a way to make it work with my 6.14mm x 6.09mm though :think:

I think it would work with a smaller asscher but it will look more like a “band” instead of an engagement ring. Still pretty, just a different vibe!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it would work with a smaller asscher but it will look more like a “band” instead of an engagement ring. Still pretty, just a different vibe!

Yes, i think you are right, it would look like a band. But I still want to keep the asscher as the main focus of the ring, so I don't think its the right option for this stone.

simurgh

Rough_Rock
I think a baguette (or even a round, but something clean and not too distracting) halo with a reasonably sized airline (ie big enough to be seen) would give you both the hand presence and let you see the shape and the steps. Alternatively, what about the 3/5 stone layout you like but with bezels or halos?

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
54B628BB-D460-4BE2-B478-7323446E0AE3.png
Yes, i think you are right, it would look like a band. But I still want to keep the asscher as the main focus of the ring, so I don't think its the right option for this stone.

Are you interested in colored stones at all? Maybe a caliber cut halo (I know you said no halo). Or a three stone with asscher\emerald cut rubies?

upload_2019-3-26_16-33-42.jpeg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that second design - its stunning. But for this ring I was hoping to go with a more simple, cleaner look. I can never decide what I think about airline halos. I have seen some where you can see glimpses of the supporting gold/ platinum structure underneath the airline gap which I am not keen on. But others can look lovely. I expect its partly down the skill and execution of the design.

I understand your hesitation. Caysie is a master with bezels, however, I completely understand why you’d avoid the design.
I believe to achieve the look you want, with emphasis on the center stone and the corners, you should use tapered baguettes or tapered French cut baguettes, an open setting with either double claw prongs, or petite, flat prongs to emphasize the corners. If you decide on 5 stone, adding step cut traps would look lovely. You could bezel set the traps, and allow them to blend more smoothly into the setting for comfort and a sharp vibe, and add milgrain to the bezel for the antique/deco flow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results