shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!! Should I go with Quality over size??

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
57% for the table is just fine (some people actually prefer that), and I like that the stone is a bit shallower and the stone will be more brilliant (even if not accounting for H) than fiery all else equal. However, again, without an IS and ASET it'd all be speculation. Have the dealer lower the crown to mid 35.*% for the 40.8 pavilion.

Should hopefully have these additional images tomorrow and will post them for feedback.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
57% for the table is just fine (some people actually prefer that), and I like that the stone is a bit shallower and the stone will be more brilliant (even if not accounting for H) than fiery all else equal. However, again, without an IS and ASET it'd all be speculation. Have the dealer lower the crown to mid 35.*% for the 40.8 pavilion.

What should the crown be for 40.8 pavilion?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why wouldn't you buy an SI diamond? There are tons of gorgeous SIs that are eye clean. Also, nothing wrong with a 57% table, even though its not what everyone prefers.
Pollo is an si2. I've been trying to give away my diamonds since my husband died and no one wants my collection. Now I know its bc SI stands for "stigma, indeed". :eek2:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A13D5AB5-CD40-4164-B7D4-5C60BFA21207.jpeg 5B6B80A6-DBF5-4FFC-9852-14303C5BA381.jpeg
Ok. So one more diamond for possible consideration (saying this only because it has not been confirmed eye-clean yet). Comparing to the 1.54 the only difference I notice is clarity is lower at SI1 and color at H. Size wise - negligible (barely a difference). What do you all think if this is eye clean and IS and ASET pictures are great which would you choose?

I’ve posted the 1.54 specs and the 1.57 for review.

Thank you!
New diamond is less than 2 via HCA so it's a keeper for now.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PintoBean you haven’t tried very hard. I’d take pollo or any of her chicks or any of their friends!

OP there are SI stones that are eye clean, but there are also several other steps in between SI and VVS1.

Cut is what is going you have you drooling over your new stone. You’re in good hands here 8)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy SI diamond.
I prefer table 55% VS 57%.
Your current diamond that you DON'T like has 57% table and SI clarity, and still, you are leading to the same specifications?!

The table and clarity isn't causing the problems. It's the steep 36 crown paired with a steep 41 pavilion and borderline deep 62.6 that is causing issues.

Remember there are 8 crown and 8 pavilion facets in a diamond. Each has an angle associated with them. GIA averages and then rounds those values values to the nearest 0.5 and 0.1 degree, respectively. The averaged and rounded values is what we see on the report.

Actual values may read like 35.9, 36.1, 36.2 for the crown or maybe 40.9, 41.2, 41.1 for the pavilion.

In addition to being an uncomplimentary angle combo, additional bad things happen at 41.2 pavilion.

To be clear, having a 57 table is of no concern. The SI1 clarity on the existing stone may be questionable and needs closer examination. The goal is always to find an eye clean stone where the inclusions don't impede light performance. Regardless if the existing stone falls in that category, plenty of others do so SI1 clarity by itself is not the sole reason either.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
It'd be foolish to immediately dismiss all SI1 stones. Sure there are a lot of poor remnants, especially at malls, jewelry stores, etc., that're pretty bad examples, especially because the good SI1 stones are snatched up so quickly. I have a few SI1 stones that are clearer than most VS stones, and one looks exactly like VVS1 even with magnification with one feather hidden under a prong. Sometimes you can get very lucky with SI stones, and very good ones are out there.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
It'd be foolish to immediately dismiss all SI1 stones. Sure there are a lot of poor remnants, especially at malls, jewelry stores, etc., that're pretty bad examples, especially because the good SI1 stones are snatched up so quickly. I have a few SI1 stones that are clearer than most VS stones, and one looks exactly like VVS1 even with magnification with one feather hidden under a prong. Sometimes you can get very lucky with SI stones, and very good ones are out there.

My small diamond at 0.72 was SI1 and the only inclusion was a small feather which was covered with a prong. The cut is what made the diamond spectacular. I’m not stuck on clarity as truly it is cut that will determine the beauty of the stone as long as eye clean.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
My small diamond at 0.72 was SI1 and the only inclusion was a small feather which was covered with a prong. The cut is what made the diamond spectacular. I’m not stuck on clarity as truly it is cut that will determine the beauty of the stone as long as eye clean.
Exactly. Btw, do you have the proportions of your 0.72 stone?
The reason I recommended the Whiteflash options right away is because they're ACA, one of the rare top guaranteed performers with super ideal cuts given your experience.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Exactly. Btw, do you have the proportions of your 0.72 stone?
The reason I recommended the Whiteflash options right away is because they're ACA, one of the rare top guaranteed performers with super ideal cuts given your experience.

I don’t have it. It was a Canadian Diamond. We paid more for it but gosh it was gorgeous!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
E4E67919-D31D-4105-A035-9485D70E332D.jpeg AEB3F966-9573-4176-99A6-B3935AB4EFF5.jpeg
Ok. Here are the IS and ASET pictures of the 1.54ct VVS1 I.

Comments?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
E4E67919-D31D-4105-A035-9485D70E332D.jpeg AEB3F966-9573-4176-99A6-B3935AB4EFF5.jpeg
Ok. Here are the IS and ASET pictures of the 1.54ct VVS1 I.

Comments?
I see minor leakage under the table as suspected but like the optical symmetry and the arrow size/patterns despite the poorly taken images. I think the diamond is definitely worth checking out in person, especially with your trade-in option.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you think that the cut was what made your 0.72ct diamond beautiful, so what was the cut? Any lab report?
I wouldn't dismiss the color and clarity as part of the diamond performance.

I just see that if you consider the 1.57ct, you are repeating the characteristic of the 1.32ct that you currently have and you don't like.

If you know the cut proportions of your ex-diamond 0.72ct, you will determine what you are looking for now.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree... AAMOF, my 3.33 SI2 stone is cleaner than my 2.43 SI1 (although both were eye clean to me)! It's all about type and placement of inclusion(s). I've seen VS stones that weren't as clean as SIs...

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a better video of the 1.54ct. Also, he told me it is a true I in color.

To me it looks very sparkly but I do have reservations about the color I. All my diamonds have been H. Even though this one faces up white.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a better video of the 1.54ct. Also, he told me it is a true I in color.

To me it looks very sparkly but I do have reservations about the color I. All my diamonds have been H. Even though this one faces up white.
Well if you have any reservation about I, then I'd be careful. I'm personally color sensitive and never go below G. A good H can be pretty colorless as well. Just because a diamond faces up bright doesn't mean it'll look colorless from the sides/angles.

Also, those are pretty poor videos under overcast light :confused: and I can't see any noticeable sparkles although I could see the facet patterns and pronounced dark center.
If he has any very well cut stone near 40.8/34.5 stone in stock, I'd ask for another video right next to it.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Well if you have any reservation about I, then I'd be careful. I'm personally color sensitive and never go below G. A good H can be pretty colorless as well. Just because a diamond faces up bright doesn't mean it'll look colorless from the sides/angles.

Also, those are pretty poor videos under overcast light :confused: and I can't see any noticeable sparkles although I could see the facet patterns and pronounced dark center.
If he has any very well cut stone near 40.8/34.5 stone in stock, I'd ask for another video right next to it.

I trust this seller and the stone looks beautiful to me. I gave the green light. I know the stone will be warm, and I prefer warm but have never gone down to I. I don’t think it will be an issue since it is beautifully cut.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I gave the green light.
I do truly wish that you love the stone. Many of us get very hung up on cut precision when buying over the Internet, but nothing beats seeing the stone in person or experienced person's eye that you could trust. I do hope you come back with photos and share your joyful sentiments. :))

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome thing is the NYC dealer seems interested in giving you videos, etc to help make your decision.

I'd still like to see an ASET and/or idralscope image. Also H&A since you say he can do all that. Helps prove you are getting a top performer.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I'd still like to see an ASET and/or idralscope image. Also H&A since you say he can do all that. Helps prove you are getting a top performer.
post #74

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Somehow missed this. Been in court most the day, so data was hit & miss. Guessing it didn't grab the pictures. Anyhow, agree with your previous comments.

Sounds like OP has her heart set on this stone, and has already pulled the trigger.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
6D0C5DE8-D13A-4DED-B765-E20939497AAF.jpeg D4C24D7D-B8BB-4F64-BEA3-26DEC41402E5.jpeg Well everyone, my rings are here! Alex Park of Parks Fine Group is amazing!!! He is extremely talented, honest, is an excellent communicator and honestly the best jeweler I have ever dealt with.

So without further due, here are my rings (and the “gamble” diamond. The diamond is so very beautiful).

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
6D0C5DE8-D13A-4DED-B765-E20939497AAF.jpeg D4C24D7D-B8BB-4F64-BEA3-26DEC41402E5.jpeg Well everyone, my rings are here! Alex Park of Parks Fine Group is amazing!!! He is extremely talented, honest, is an excellent communicator and honestly the best jeweler I have ever dealt with.

So without further due, here are my rings (and the “gamble” diamond. The diamond is so very beautiful).
beautiful what setting is that?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I'm very glad to hear that you're very happy with your new ring!
The new ring set looks beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results