shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: setting stones close to skin tone to make it stand out

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
I am considering a particular rose pink spinel. The spinel by itself is a really pretty stone and shows off some blueish purple or lavender flashes. And I do like it a lot!

But, there is only one problem: the stone does not quite stand out against my skin. I suppose my skin is not fair enough or dark enough to make the delicate rose pink stand out; it tends to fade into my skin when the ambient light does not facilitate it to sparkle.

I do want to wear it as a ring, so are there ways to set the stone so that the color could stand out? Would bezel setting help a lot? Do I have to go with bezel setting?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions/answers.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Re: Help: setting stones close to skin tone to make it stand

A halo of diamonds will make the color pop. :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A diamond halo, and/or different color golds may work. I'm dark and some pale stones don't work on me either.

-A

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock

I never thought of a diamond halo. It probably would work, but halo is not really my thing.

Any other ideas? Would a bezel in rose gold enhance it? If so, what about the shank, rose gold or white gold? Many thanks.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am officially Morganite coloured so know how you feel! I actually gave up wearing it because it really did just disappear into my skin tone. The only thing I can think is to have a complete contrast in gold colour but that really depends if you'd wear it or not. The other suggestion is to add a different coloured side stone?

pixies

Shiny_Rock

Atwater|1305786864|2925516 said:
I am considering a particular rose pink spinel. The spinel by itself is a really pretty stone and shows off some blueish purple or lavender flashes. And I do like it a lot!

But, there is only one problem: the stone does not quite stand out against my skin. I suppose my skin is not fair enough or dark enough to make the delicate rose pink stand out; it tends to fade into my skin when the ambient light does not facilitate it to sparkle.

I do want to wear it as a ring, so are there ways to set the stone so that the color could stand out? Would bezel setting help a lot? Do I have to go with bezel setting?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions/answers.
I've been fair skinned and tan. When I'm tan, rose gold blends in to my skin. It looks better when I'm fair. Yellow gold pops on my skin when I'm tan.

So I'd be worried you might have a similar problem with rose gold. I'd go try on some different color gold pieces and see what you think before you order anything.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

I'm just throwing this out here. And I'm not sure it would work... but maybe some or all of the metal could be blackened to help distinguish the stone? It depends on how pink the stone itself is.... or a black spinel halo?

some random pics I found to try end describe the color combo....
black-diamond-icecom-rings-pink-mother-of-pearl--sterling-silver-heart-ring.jpg
il_570xN.242004302.jpg

This leon mege is what made me think of it

http://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1107&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Edited to add:

Ha! I knew I'd find one. I'm sure this is a little "hotter" of a pink than the one you have
il_570xN.212330916.jpg

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

sorry, one more, this is even in rose gold (center is morganite)

FEB08455.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results