shape
carat
color
clarity

Help selecting an emerald cut

SkywalkerLuke

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,
I need your help on deciding which stone is better based on their ASET pictures.
Please see the pictures and let me know which one you would select. pic1.png pic2.png pic3.png

Thank you.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys,
I need your help on deciding which stone is better based on their ASET pictures.
Please see the pictures and let me know which one you would select. pic1.png pic2.png pic3.png

Thank you.

With nothing but these ASET images, I’d choose in this order:
1, 3, 2.
Can you share more info/attach videos of each of these?

SkywalkerLuke

Rough_Rock
Sure
ShapeEC Weight0.5ct ColorE ClarityVVS1 CutSignature Ideal FluorescenceNone SymmetryExcellent PolishExcellent
Measurements5.64 - 3.89 x 2.49 Table68% Depth64.0% Crown Angle42.2° Crown Height11.6% Pavilion Angle54.4° L/W Ratio1.45 CuletNone

• Carat Weight
  • Shape
  • Emerald
  • Cut
  • Affinity
  • Color
  • D
  • Clarity
  • VVS1
  • Depth
  • 63.3%
  • Table
  • 65%
  • Polish
  • Excellent
  • Symmetry
  • Excellent
  • Culet
  • None
  • Fluorescence
  • None
  • Measurements
  • 5.86 x 3.97 x 2.51mm
  • L/W Ratio
  • Carat Weight
  • Shape
  • Emerald
  • Cut
  • Affinity
  • Color
  • D
  • Clarity
  • IF
  • Depth
  • 62.7%
  • Table
  • 64%
  • Polish
  • Excellent
  • Symmetry
  • Excellent
  • Girdle
  • Medium to Slightly Thick
  • Culet
  • None
  • Fluorescence
  • None
  • Measurements
  • 5.73 x 3.88 x 2.43mm
  • L/W Ratio
Can you also tell me why in that order? Thank you.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Using this chart as a guide, you will see why I placed each stone in the order, above.
#1 shows more light return, and flash than #2 and #3. #3 has some show of light return and flash, with contrast. #2 has far more contrast than flash.

8FD1F902-8F2B-43C6-8474-6599CF4A6898.png

Is there a reason for the high clarity in these stones? IF really isn’t necessary. In fact, VS1-VVS2 would be fine, esp at the size you’re looking for. You may be able to bump up size, if you go down a bit on clarity. Even dropping to F color would probably get you to 0.70 or heavier.
Just curious.

SkywalkerLuke

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for your feedback. I don't know if the two pictures you mentioned are computer generated. What would be the meaning of that if they are computer generated. I'm learning about interpreting ASET pictures. I also like the first one, but was afraid about the dark area. For the third, I was afraid about the green rectangle that could mean loss of light and the white areas at the corners. I appreciate your feedback

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys for your feedback. I don't know if the two pictures you mentioned are computer generated. What would be the meaning of that if they are computer generated. I'm learning about interpreting ASET pictures. I also like the first one, but was afraid about the dark area. For the third, I was afraid about the green rectangle that could mean loss of light and the white areas at the corners. I appreciate your feedback

The dark portion you see in ASET #1 is actually light return and contrast; the stone appears slightly tilted.
Capturing perfect ASET images is very difficult. #1 is going to be your brightest stone without light leakage, and nice contrast.
It should be a great performer, as well, since you can see there is a balance of contrast on one side of facets, while you have light return on the opposite side of facets.
I’d be curious to see video of each of these in motion to see how well the ASET’s represent what is seen with the naked eye.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 looks like it will be 'all on / all off', therefore dark when viewed head-on at close range and potentially boring to look at otherwise (if the facets are acting as one generally).

3 looks promising - the blue rectangle of contrast might add visual interest when head on and not be too large?

1 is interesting - the reflections are mostly red and black but the background is white. This means you're not seeing leakage in the black areas, but it is instead reflecting back the camera lens, so should be considered blue.

I'm not sure any of them are super-amazing enough that they would attract me personally, but then I am not the one buying them so my opinion in that regard doesn't really matter ;-)

Do you have the stones on hold? If so, please post links to them so we can check the videos out - like all fancy cuts, we need to understand how the stones work when in motion. ASETscope is only one angle, and there are many more visible when the stone is on the finger and moving! :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have videos to link? They would be most helpful. We can evaluate how the steps are turning on and off. Asets are a one time, straight on
static view of the stone. While very useful, it helps to see how the stone acts while moving (more like real life).

I see @OoohShiny just mentioned all this...so ditto!

SkywalkerLuke

Rough_Rock
20200801_170823.jpg Thank you guys. What do you think about this one?
This is a 0.6 carat F, IF, L/W =1.54 with L=6.39

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20200801_170823.jpg Thank you guys. What do you think about this one?
This is a 0.6 carat F, IF, L/W =1.54 with L=6.39

That ASET is great!
Do you have videos of the stone in motion?
Both are helpful, when examining step cuts.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is quite a lot of red in that ASET, much of it next to each other - I think my concern would be if it is a bit 'all-on / all-off'.

If you have it on hold, post a link to the video :)

SkywalkerLuke

Rough_Rock
Using this chart as a guide, you will see why I placed each stone in the order, above.
#1 shows more light return, and flash than #2 and #3. #3 has some show of light return and flash, with contrast. #2 has far more contrast than flash.

8FD1F902-8F2B-43C6-8474-6599CF4A6898.png

Is there a reason for the high clarity in these stones? IF really isn’t necessary. In fact, VS1-VVS2 would be fine, esp at the size you’re looking for. You may be able to bump up size, if you go down a bit on clarity. Even dropping to F color would probably get you to 0.70 or heavier.
Just curious.

Hello,

I posted a video of a stone. Can you please have a look at it an let me know your opinion?
Thank you.

Luke

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello,

I posted a video of a stone. Can you please have a look at it an let me know your opinion?
Thank you.

Luke
There appears to be a bit of obstruction; either by your camera, or the surroundings in the room.
Hate to ask, but, are you able to take another video closer, in better focus?

SkywalkerLuke

Rough_Rock
There appears to be a bit of obstruction; either by your camera, or the surroundings in the room.
Hate to ask, but, are you able to take another video closer, in better focus?

Hello folks,

I finally got a clearer video and aset pics for the stone. Please see attachments and advise. Thank you. image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

Click on the rectangle below to download the video

I need an answer as soon as possible because of the short time frame.
Thank you.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

on the way out the door to docs.
red mixed with blue can either mean its very flashy but could also be very close to 41 degrees and all on\all off.
If its not all on\all off its well worth considering.

Edit stone is not properly in the scope but its good enough.

SkywalkerLuke

Rough_Rock
on the way out the door to docs.
red mixed with blue can either mean its very flashy but could also be very close to 41 degrees and all on\all off.
If its not all on\all off its well worth considering.

Edit stone is not properly in the scope but its good enough.

Thank you.
Have you also seen the video?
Do you like it?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you.
Have you also seen the video?
Do you like it?

cant see the vid get a no permission error.
im off but your in good hands with the prosumers here.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi guys,

Thank you.

ASET signatures for fancy cuts require much more experience to interpret than for rounds. For instance, in some cases what looks like too much leakage actually represents some dynamic contrast that can potentially enhance visual performance.

The thing that seems to be common in ASET for fancies is that a good balance and DISTRIBUTION of light return and contrast are required for best performance.

In this case I would say the actual ASET (first one) will be a better performer than #2 (too much contrast), and possibly number three as well, but 1&3 are close in terms of performance.

Another note to keep in mind is that some of the white in the corner step facets leading to the keel are caused by glare, not necessarily leakage. It's pronounced in the computer generated images, but you can see it in the actual image to a slightly lesser degree. At tilt those areas produce some light return.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Saw the video looks nice and fashy.
No issues with the pavilion angles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results