shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!! Ring design...

Budgiesmuggler

Rough_Rock
Hi I'm trying to design a ring for a 1.25 round brilliant.

I want a 4 claw, but the jewler says this wont be very stable for a large stone and I should go for a 6 claw. Is this true?

Also, I know my gf likes a flat band, but the jewler says this looks good with a square stone but not a round one, and I should think about a half round band. Would a flat band look good with a round diamond?

Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think you need to re-invent the wheel and honesty most custom work is sub par to good stock/designer.

4 prong if done well is perfectly sturdy. I personally would worry about a custom fabricator that doesn't have faith in their four prongs and would not have them make a setting for me.

HOWEVER, with a four prong you do need to be aware that if you lose one, the other three will not hold the stone as well as a six prong would with the same problem.

I would look through here to see if you like any on these, there are many beautiful good quality settings: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-favorite-plain-solitaire-setting.164906/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-favorite-plain-solitaire-setting.164906/[/URL]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Flat band is perfect. Listen to your lady not your jeweler when it comes to things that are a matter of taste, not structure and safety.

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock
Budgiesmuggler, I'm guessing from your username that you're from Australia, and possibly WA since you referenced Jogia. I have seen work done by them, and frankly, it's not that good. The pieces I have seen have been clunky, and the prongs not very refined. However, the quality of their work may have improved since I last saw it. Do you have a choice in which jeweller to use?

Budgiesmuggler

Rough_Rock
It's not so much that she likes a flat band, she just doesn't like a knife edge.
So I've committed the design now: Tiffany 6 claw but with a half round band.

From looking around I found all the 4 claw settings really bulky and I know she wont like that and it wont suit her. the 6 claw settings are much more delicate. I also preferred the half round to the flat band, again more elegant. She only has size 4 finger so I think the less bulky the better!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Budgiesmuggler

Rough_Rock
Thanks! That first one is exactly what I'm looking for.
I'm going with Jogia as they've sourced my diamond, I've also seen some of their work and i like it. I've shot them the pic of that ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results