shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Retailers that specialize in “unique” settings and rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Excell

Rough_Rock
SuzyQZ you''re too fast for me.
1.gif
Figured I''ll be hanging out a while, so I hooked up the avatar a little.

Excell

Rough_Rock
mercoledi do you have the original image of that bezel setting?
31.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
You bet. I was actually working on flatting out the bezel and adding graduated stones, like a partial halo. I think it looks really cool, and I have the head worked out, but I can''t get it onto the band without photoshop. Gimme a minute...

Excell

Rough_Rock
9.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
The EP original, as requested.

mockplain0207.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, why is that so small and the other was so large? Let''s try this again. Here''s the grauated bezel mock up, just try and ignore the side stones.

mockbezel0204.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
let''s try this..

bezelretry.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
And the bezel w/ graduated stones. Just an idea. I like the flattened out bezel, I think it really sets off the stone more than the smooth EP.

Maybe an admin can remove my posts with super-tiny pics? Thanks.

retrygrad2.jpg

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I am super-involved in designing my own ring, and that''s how I''d like it. I have to wear it all the time, so I want something I won''t get tired of and want to trade up for. Right now I''d say I''m doing 90% of the work and research. You may want to go ring browsing with her just to see how different band widths look on her finger - I have short fat fingers so I could never wear something with that substantial a shank unless there was a lot of filigree to give it more of a delicate appearance.

I think that the gradation of the side diamonds is interesting, it kinda looks like the speedometer that Excell just put up as an avatar. Maybe subconscious?

21.gif

newfoil

Rough_Rock

I am new to this forum but I thought I''d share the ring that we (my fiance & I) just got, having gone through a similar process, of wanting something unique. I know it isn''t exactly in the same vein as what you are looking for, but it is perfect for me and I love it. Definitely not a "traditional" looking engagement ring. I won''t be wearing a wedding band with this - it will be both engagement and wedding ring for me.

Jill

JM%20top%20view%20%233.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
cool thread!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 8:48:40 PM
Author:Excell

Hi guys,

Still on my quest for the perfect ring.
1.gif
I had almost undoubtedly decided on a setting from BlueNile, but I think I’m changing my mind again. I need help locating retailers with non-traditional settings. My girlfriend loves “chunky” very thick rings with a lot of weight to them. I’m certain she would love a ring that may not be a “traditional” engagement ring. I’ve looked at probably 1000 different settings in person and online, and I’ve not found any that I think are perfect. I want the setting to be equally as stunning as the diamond(s) I put in it. Are there any online retailers who specialize in non-traditional rings?

Here are a few examples of the styles I''ve seen that ''tweak'' me, but none of them are perfect:

DM02400100_RD_75_200zoom.jpg

0249135_r_lg.jpg

(minus wedding band)

R-E-custom_tn.jpg
R-E-custom-d.jpg

R-E-ArchBranch_tn.jpg

md-R-938ABT.jpg

Notice how ''clean'' the rings look with lots of polished metal showing? That''s the look I''m looking for. Not like the ''antique'' looking rings that have a lot of detail, small diamonds, etc., which are very beautiful, but not what I''m looking for.

1) I want white gold or platinum, but prefer white gold for cost efficiency.
2) Settings that do not have a large, primary stone (like with several smaller stones) is okay!
3) Second-hand and estate is okay.

Thank you!
36.gif

I love the eyeball one but that''s NOT an engagement ring to me... honestly she sounds like she needs to pick it out herself. I like the first one you posted the best, but IMO you should put it in a plain setting and let HER choose. Unless she is super easy going you''ll probably pick the wrong one and she may or may not tell you LOL

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah... these are VERY COOL rings and TOTALLY distictive.

That said, I would not invest this much time, effort and energy into such a unique setting without some input from the lady.

Unique settings are wonderful.... and I think it''s amazing that you are going this. I just don''t want to see you invest so much emotionally, without KNOWING that you are absolutely on the right track.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
i hate to be a party pooper but i agree with cehrabehra and gypsy. you mentioned that she is "classic" which made me wonder: does she probably want a classic ring, like a simple tiffany solitaire?

just something to think about. i like the idea of proposing with the diamond set in a simple solitaire and then letting her help with the permanent setting. custom would be an expensive mistake if she didn''t like the setting.

and someone also mentioned she might not tell you if she didn''t like it, which is very real...someone i know has never liked hers and she didn''t say anything to her husband until very recently, which is almost 5 years after she got it!

also, are you positive she doesn''t want to wear a wedding band? i''m super non-traditional in every way possible, but i still want a wedding band.

you know your girlfriend and i don''t... but i thought i''d give you a soon to be engaged female''s point of view!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results