shape
carat
color
clarity

Help resetting my cushion halo into a 3 stone

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! :wavey:

I'd like some feedback/advice/thoughts on changing my cushion halo to a bezel/3 stone ring. I want to mix 4 different rings into one but want to make sure it'll be lovely and not look like a hodgepodge mess. :???:

Maytal Hannah made the halo setting for my 2.9 carat antique cushion from OWD and I've adored it for years. I really thought it would be my forever setting. But over the last year or so, I've been getting the itch to change the setting.

After seeing @KristyDarling fabulous 3 stone reset last night, I decided to take the plunge and reset my halo!
KD's FAB reset: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ntique-cushion-ring-by-mark-t-and-cvb.252112/

I've always adored Rika's Single Stone engraved bezel halo. Here's Rika's thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...lor-antique-cushion-from-single-stone.194635/

But after seeing KristyDarling's 3 stone reset, I knew I HAD to incorporate cushion side stones somehow. So I'm thinking of an engraved hex bezel like Rika's but with 3 cushions like KDs.

I figured it would take months to find a good matching pair of side stones.

Then I saw @yssie thread on her STUNNER 6 carat OEC earrings from Ivy & Rose and decided to check out their site.
Yssie's thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...c-double-drops-from-ivy-rose-and-sako.267798/

I was browsing their loose stones and getting sleepy - it was way past my bedtime. I almost closed my phone but decided to check out one more page of loose stones. That's when I found a PERFECT MATCHING PAIR of antique cushions for my center stone!

My stone is L/VSI - these are K/VSI and a very similar outline and pattern to my cushion! I couldn't believe it! From deciding on a 3 stone reset to finding the perfect side stones took all of 20 minutes. I ordered them right away - they'll be here Tuesday.

Pics of my 2.9 carat cushion and the 2.06 pair of cushion side stones. My cushion is approx 9x8.5 and the side stones are approx 6.3x6

_36172.jpg _36170.jpg 2 cushions.jpg

I feel pretty confident that an engraved bezel like Rika's and 1 carat cushion side stones like KristyDarling's will look lovely. I'm just not sure how to have to side stones set.... Like KD's or maybe bezel them?

Here are Rika, KD and another CVB design that are my inspiration. Also are SS rings I've had saved for YEARS. Oh- I plan to have CVB make the ring.

Single Stone:

076a327d1afd867423546724d54b017a.jpg 169f57ab38d34aae936ac9a2f1380ee9.jpg d71fb1c3d15b7d4be89c045d0e925c1d.jpg

CVB design on her IG:

unnamed.jpg unnamed (1).jpg

KristyDarling's CVB 3 stone with cushions of similar proportion to mine:

1626533256378.png 1626533293842.png

Rika's Single Stone:

1626533343874.png 1626533360329.png
1626533375115.png

Thoughts or advice on how to set the side stones would be MUCH appreciated! (I like the gallery on the first Single Stone ring.)

TIA!!!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love love love where you are going with this!!
I think deciding what you think you may like for the side stone settings should wait until you have all three in your hand and can look at them perched on your finger. Real estate wise. Especially with engraved bezels. I think (I know) if you want to be able to SEE that engraving, that is. I think mine was 2mm and wished for 2.5 - can’t remember if that’s exact without looking back.
I’d hate to fall in love with an idea that can’t be implemented.

Can’t wait!

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I snooped.
2283E5F7-CBC6-4D4B-B211-DDD008A3AEE2.gif
So I change my earlier thoughts.

I think if you like the height your current ring is set at - you have plenty of real estate.
715BAD5C-BA20-47AC-B16E-EC92798CEFBE.jpeg

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
I snooped.
2283E5F7-CBC6-4D4B-B211-DDD008A3AEE2.gif
So I change my earlier thoughts.

I think if you like the height your current ring is set at - you have plenty of real estate.
715BAD5C-BA20-47AC-B16E-EC92798CEFBE.jpeg

Thank you! Yes I think there will be enough room. My ring size is 6 so not dainty.

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
I’m so in love with this reset plan!

Your diamond is so beautiful with the big chunky facets, I think it would look incredible in a geometric bezel (or collet style?) bezel like Rika’s. I wonder if you also very sleekly bezel the two sides to keep the design flow.

Two designs I love from CvB in this style are the Astrid halo and the Casablanca halo (but with your side stones somehow)!

+1 on Singlestone, who does amazing work and is also in LA like Maytal if that’s better for you! I couldn’t find one current example that is as fine as Caysie’s, but the antique style with old cuts is also their specialty, so I’m sure they would create something you would love.

And of course, you have so many possibilities for the gallery:kiss2:

AD9C7070-9DA0-4CC3-AEA6-37F8C0E55054.jpeg

E530801E-E35F-443B-B876-989E9F3627AE.jpeg

Last edited:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so in love with this reset plan!

Your diamond is so beautiful with the big chunky facets, I think it would look incredible in a geometric bezel (or collet style?) bezel like Rika’s. I wonder if you also very sleekly bezel the two sides to keep the design flow.

Two designs I love from CvB in this style are the Astrid halo and the Casablanca halo (but with your side stones somehow)!

+1 on Singlestone, who does amazing work and is also in LA like Maytal if that’s better for you! I couldn’t find one current example that is as fine as Caysie’s, but the antique style with old cuts is also their specialty, so I’m sure they would create something you would love.

And of course, you have so many possibilities for the gallery:kiss2:

AD9C7070-9DA0-4CC3-AEA6-37F8C0E55054.jpeg

E530801E-E35F-443B-B876-989E9F3627AE.jpeg

Thank you! I love those CVB designs as well!

I would consider Single Stone but I haven’t seen them do antique style designs like this lately and it makes me nervous.

I do think a very minimal sleek bezel would look really nice.. similar to this but with only 2 side stones to leave room for the engraved bezel around the center stone.

4EB6F25A-A2D6-4E2D-AEED-E9B4A4BA71E6.jpeg

rubilee

Rough_Rock
You could do half bezels around the inside side of the side stones where they meet the center stone - that would give it a really interesting look! Or bezel the center stone with a thin bezel and set the side stones with prongs - also an interesting mix of two setting styles.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on scoring the side stones so quickly! I just love @KristyDarling ‘s 3 stone. So I’m going to vote for that setting perhaps with a more decorative gallery?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
You could do half bezels around the inside side of the side stones where they meet the center stone - that would give it a really interesting look! Or bezel the center stone with a thin bezel and set the side stones with prongs - also an interesting mix of two setting styles.

Oh half bezels is a good idea!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on scoring the side stones so quickly! I just love @KristyDarling ‘s 3 stone. So I’m going to vote for that setting perhaps with a more decorative gallery?

Thanks! They’ll be here Tuesday and fingers crossed they’re everything I think they are!

KristyDarling’s 3 stone is so gorgeous! I seriously considered that design exactly but really want an engraved bezel like Roma’s around the center stone.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! They’ll be here Tuesday and fingers crossed they’re everything I think they are!

KristyDarling’s 3 stone is so gorgeous! I seriously considered that design exactly but really want an engraved bezel like Roma’s around the center stone.

Oh my bad! Did you see this three stone? While the center stone is smaller, I wonder if you could used elements of this design to integrate your side stones.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my bad! Did you see this three stone? While the center stone is smaller, I wonder if you could used elements of this design to integrate your side stones.

No worries :)

oh wow that’s gorgeous!!!

I’m wondering if my best bet would be to just commission single stone or CVB to remake Rika’s ring for me but to incorporate the 1 carat cushions somehow and let them design it... hmm

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries :)

oh wow that’s gorgeous!!!

I’m wondering if my best bet would be to just commission single stone or CVB to remake Rika’s ring for me but to incorporate the 1 carat cushions somehow and let them design it... hmm

Seriously not a bad idea. Let the designers do what they do best, design. I bet SS would do an amazing job but they do cost an arm and a leg. But if you have the funds and are ok spending it go for it. I would love to see what they come up with. CVB does have an amazing aesthetic and would be great if you have a generous timeline for your project.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Seriously not a bad idea. Let the designers do what they do best, design. I bet SS would do an amazing job but they do cost an arm and a leg. But if you have the funds and are ok spending it go for it. I would love to see what they come up with. CVB does have an amazing aesthetic and would be great if you have a generous timeline for your project.

Yeah, you're right. I just felt like I had to have some type of outline to give them but I guess it doesn't have to be that detailed. From other quotes I've received over the years, I'm guessing that SS will be in the 6-8k range for the setting which is crazy to me for a setting without stones but I'm not sure anyone else can nail the true antique look.... CVB can definitely nail the antique mixed with modern look if I choose that style... I don't have a tight timeline so that's no problem... I've asked SS for a quote. I guess I'll start there. :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’d recommend getting a quote from single stone. I’ve seen a price quote posted on PS for a specific setting style almost 5yrs ago, and when I reached out to inquire, the cost was 1.7k less. Just don’t count them out unless you ask - I reached out via Instagram and they were very very nice! Still very expensive but comparable to a quote I got from Victor canera - maybe a couple hundred more but at that point…*shoulder shrug*

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
I’d recommend getting a quote from single stone. I’ve seen a price quote posted on PS for a specific setting style almost 5yrs ago, and when I reached out to inquire, the cost was 1.7k less. Just don’t count them out unless you ask - I reached out via Instagram and they were very very nice! Still very expensive but comparable to a quote I got from Victor canera - maybe a couple hundred more but at that point…*shoulder shrug*

I emailed them last night for a quote. You're totally right, I have no idea unless I ask. The more I look at Rika's ring and the other SS 3 stone, the more I love that aesthetic for this project. I think they'd be best at meshing those 2 styles since they're their designs after all.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LALove OMG it’s been way too long!!!

And another reset - girl you have had some of THE prettiest rings I’ve ever seen!! I cannot WAIT to see where you go this time!!

Ivy &Rose seriously has the best pricing!! Their inventory seems super unpredictable, you just never know what they might or might not have at any given time, but everything they have is priced soooo fairly - incredible value for money!! I’m loving the pair you got :love:

Okay so I’m hugely biased but @KristyDarling’s three stone is one of my absolute favourite three stones. The simplicity of that mount - with those stones in those proportions - her ring is, to my eyes, the epitome of the three stone tradition in cushion form :love: :love: :cool2: I think Caysie would have no trouble reimagining the classics for your antiquey preferences!!

Can I be kind of brutally honest? I’ve seen a fair number of SS pieces and... They’re beautifully designed but their workmanship just isn’t as precise as other vendors’. Caysie’s, Erika’s, Sako’s. I don’t love the mismatch between precision of SS execution and SS pricing ;( So Caysie would definitely be my choice, of your inspiration vendors!

Excited for this project and :bigsmile: to see you back!!! ❤️

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
@LALove OMG it’s been way too long!!!

And another reset - girl you have had some of THE prettiest rings I’ve ever seen!! I cannot WAIT to see where you go this time!!

Ivy &Rose seriously has the best pricing!! Their inventory seems super unpredictable, you just never know what they might or might not have at any given time, but everything they have is priced soooo fairly - incredible value for money!! I’m loving the pair you got :love:

Okay so I’m hugely biased but @KristyDarling’s three stone is one of my absolute favourite three stones. The simplicity of that mount - with those stones in those proportions - her ring is, to my eyes, the epitome of the three stone tradition in cushion form :love: :love: :cool2: I think Caysie would have no trouble reimagining the classics for your antiquey preferences!!

Can I be kind of brutally honest? I’ve seen a fair number of SS pieces and... They’re beautifully designed but their workmanship just isn’t as precise as other vendors’. Caysie’s, Erika’s, Sako’s. I don’t love the mismatch between precision of SS execution and SS pricing ;( So Caysie would definitely be my choice, of your inspiration vendors!

Excited for this project and :bigsmile: to see you back!!! ❤️

Hi!!! It's so good to "see" you!! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Your collection just gets better and better over the years! I am IN LOVE with your new earrings! :kiss2:

Can you believe the luck on finding those 2 matching (enough) cushions @ Ivy & Rose!? I'd never have looked if I wasn't reading your earring thread. The price was NUTS. $4500 ish for 2 1 carat VSI K well cut matching stones??

@KristyDarling's 3 stone is DEVINE. I would just get that exact ring made - but - my ring size is 6 and I'm so use to a halo that I fear I would miss the coverage.... I seriously contemplated upgrading to 4-4.5 carat cushion so I could have that setting with the coverage I want.. But there are other $ priorities right now. :wink2:

Thank you (!!!) for being brutally honest! I have never seen SS pieces in person. Caysie's blue sapphire ring above was what gave me the idea to combine KD's and Rika's design... I'll reach out to Caysie today too and see what she says.

I'm excited for this project but nervous about messing it up since it won't exactly be cheap..

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thank you!! ❤️ I hear you, other priorities stopping me from upgrading my stone too - and in the meantime diamond prices just keep going up up up ;(

I love the idea of combining the two... I can see an engraved halo sort of deal on the center and floral galleries on the sidestones... Please share what Caysie thinks? I like the blue but it’s too bold and modern for me personally - I need more foof :lol: Rika’s is gorgeous! That’d make a really nice compromise ::)

Haha on the upside it’ll be hard to go really wrong here! I think Caysie’s CADs generally match the final product really well, I definitely appreciate the no-surprises approach. Your three stones should come pretty close to totally covering the top of your finger right?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
@yssie - Glad you love the idea! I sent Caysie a message via IG. If she doesn't reply I'll text. I've read there can be lags on responding but I get it and am in no rush. I'll let you know what she says!

Her sapphire ring is gorgeous but way too modern for me too. It helped me envision a thicker bezel around the center with larger side stones.

The 3 stones will go over my finger so it will definitely be good finger coverage but in a different way.

I love the idea of floral galleries on the sides stones! Maybe something to match the engraving on Caysie's "birdie" design.....

fa4df4b1b3f5643bacc6c14e3e81076f.jpg il_fullxfull.1032301498_31ct_1024x1024@2x.jpg

The sides wouldn't sit quite as flush with the center as the above gallery though. I love that gallery. :love:

Edit to add: do you think it's worth sending the side stones I just purchased to GIA for certing? :think:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh. I gotta run out for a bit. I’ll be back here later this evening!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie - Glad you love the idea! I sent Caysie a message via IG. If she doesn't reply I'll text. I've read there can be lags on responding but I get it and am in no rush. I'll let you know what she says!

Her sapphire ring is gorgeous but way too modern for me too. It helped me envision a thicker bezel around the center with larger side stones.

The 3 stones will go over my finger so it will definitely be good finger coverage but in a different way.

I love the idea of floral galleries on the sides stones! Maybe something to match the engraving on Caysie's "birdie" design.....

fa4df4b1b3f5643bacc6c14e3e81076f.jpg il_fullxfull.1032301498_31ct_1024x1024@2x.jpg

The sides wouldn't sit quite as flush with the center as the above gallery though. I love that gallery. :love:

Edit to add: do you think it's worth sending the side stones I just purchased to GIA for certing? :think:

I think tucking those sidestones under the center - like your inspirations all have - would make a world of difference to that gallery aesthetic. I LOVE engraved halos. Love love love love LOVE them. An actual repousse halo, that's a cut above :love: I wonder if that's something her bench could do?

I&R can send them to GIA for you if you want! I personally do like to have larger stones certed (and your sides definitely quality as "larger" in my book!!) just for peace of mind and also for insurance valuations, so I probably would - but most people wouldn't bother unless planning to resell sometime in future.

What metal are you thinking?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
@yssie oh definitely tucking the sides under the center similar to KD’s ring. I just thought the gallery engraving on the deco ring was sweet :)

I decided to just get the stones and make sure I love them and then I’ll send to GIA. I doubt I’ll ever sell this ring but think it would be nice if the main stones are certified.

I’ll have the ring made in platinum. What mix I’m not sure..

Oooohhh your idea on a repousse halo is interesting! Does the end result look much different than engraving?? I’ve never seen both at once to compare.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Over the last 2 days, I had a long chat (over text) with Caysie and all I can say is that she is BRILLIANT (and SO nice)!!!! I'm so excited!!!!! :dance:

We went back and forth over the basic design. She was worried that the octagon (I kept mistakenly referring to it as a hexagon halo) halo PLUS 2 1-carat cushion sides would be too large and not work. After some thought, she is going to try to design it with the side stones set on a steeper angle but cup & bezel set them so that we're not just looking at the girdles from the top. She thinks this will really enhance the stones and create fluidity in the overall design.

She is thinking asscher bezel cups for the side stones like her Exeter ring:

il_1588xN.783443744_35mw.jpg

Her Birdie engraved octagon halo that will be used for the center stone:

44a889f8c8b123412ca17b36a76375ba.jpg 2034aab053d36c50c499b750eb785023 (1).jpg

We still have to work out the gallery/basket design and if there will be any engraving or melee on the shank. I do want at least engraving I think..

I do like this gallery that she designed but tweaked a bit to change the hearts.

CVB.jpg

I also decided to send her my rose cut eternity and have her remake it into a design I saw on her IG account. Maytal did a wonderful job with my eternity - it is such great craftsmanship - BUT I never liked how low it was set, which was my fault because I didn't specify.

Here it is now:

unnamed (2).jpg

Here's how it'll be remade (not sure what this design is called - maybe it's the Exeter with engraving on the side - it's on Caysie's IG):

3ab1c168d61f8f3ffff244559cc9390b.jpg 282e9ce96c35fd976e6606ede9a3759a.jpg

I LOVE it! :kiss2:

Both rings will be platinum.

I'll put my 2 mm hammered 18k yellow gold ring between the two rings.

I send the rings and stones off to her this weekend! My husband said that once we get these rings back I can go ahead and reset my IDJ 5.6 carat eternity into Caysie's Norah setting which I've ADORED forever!

b070386bc638bf1b1d0a5da1562bd677.jpg 1e8cc9f98b85e6bd978cb81e8c382388.jpg

Now I just have to work out the rest of the details on the ring with her. :)

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
The 2 1-carat cushions arrived. They’re so cute and a perfect match in style, shape and color!

I took a few cell phone pics. The stones all look a lot warmer than irl, I imagine from the reflection of my blue porch roof and yellow flowers.

2137B538-5669-4310-88F4-9F1A68BFFE01.jpeg F7A66697-74AD-4622-97DC-3B899AED3A6E.jpeg

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
I’ll be shipping everything to Caysie on Monday. I’ll post CADs once I have them.

She has been such a pleasure to work with this far and I’m confident I chose the right vendor. Thanks for the rec @yssie !!! :) :)

A note on her communication- I’ve read on other threads that she was slow to respond. I contacted her through IG and Etsy and didn’t hear back in 48 hours so sent her a text. She replied in minutes! She said text is her preferred method of communication.

Ps I did get a quote from SS and it was 3 Xs Caysie’s quote. That gave me the “justification” to go ahead and have Caysie reset both my eternity bands! :)

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Can’t wait to see! This is going to be incredible!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more pic of the 3 stones together.. 077CBBF7-C619-4E90-BAB4-40A8857D9348.jpeg

Oh wow, those diamonds look beautiful together! This is going to be a stunner of a ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results