shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Required Finding "Different" For Engagement Ring

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

First, I just reported myself to the admin of the site - totally posted this in the wrong area and requested it be moved. My apologies!

I'm new to this forum, but not to diamonds. I'm mostly doing a bit of brain picking. I have a couple of diamonds already under my belt due to 2 prior marriages; I joke I'm on the "Liz Taylor Plan" - not really true but it makes people laugh. Unfortunately this plan is not in size or price :lol:

I'm mostly brain picking right now and have a couple of questions; one about finding something different and the other about resetting but here's the background first.

My first E-ring was about .5 carat, nice stone - his dad was a jeweler. Hated the setting. I was never consulted as to what I like. Once the marriage broke up I reset that into a solitaire necklace, which I like a lot. It's very simple and suits my style.

E-Ring 2 was larger, approx. 1 carat. I do not remember specs - but I know it had a GIA certificate - long lost due to the divorce (he probably has it in papers somewhere but it's been nearly a decade and I'm not about to ask for it). I do remember it was a better color but did have an inclusion to the eye, which thankfully, was able to be hid with the setting. This ring I loved - round brilliant with 2 nice sized baguettes flanking it in a simple solitaire cathedral setting. Had a vintage style wedding band with some small diamonds in it which I liked as well. It metal work reminded me of an Edwardian diamond ring I inherited from my mom via my grandmother. It's quite fancy and large, so it only gets worn to special events. I also have a very nice sized pair of diamond studs set in platinum that have been complimented by everyone, everywhere including jewelers who have seen them.

So here I am on about to be engaged #3. I'm quite a bit older and wiser now (will be 57 soon) as is he. I am not into large stones, I prefer smaller, daintier diamond rings since my hands are not large, but have to admit .5 carats is looking a bit too small to me now. Ideally, something between .60 to just under 1 carat would be fine for me, but I have some concerns about finding a quality stone of that size in the price range he can currently afford since he is a full time student. Yes, 56 and in school full time! He has some money to fall back on, and sadly w I do not want to see him spend more than is affordable right now which is about $2K, including the setting.

So, since I'm the one with all the diamond knowledge I've been looking online to see what we can get for under $2K. I am not set on any particular shape at all - I find all of them beautiful in the right setting. I happened to see a lovely, simple solitaire setting with a basket weave on James Allen for $510 (14K white). Which would leave us with only $1500 or so to put towards the stone. I think he can go a bit higher, but certainly no more than $2K - $2500 total would be pushing it for him at this point in time. I have been doing a lot of research and have found a few round stones which are good quality (one scored very high on the Halloway, well under 2) but all are on the smaller side. I've found fancy cuts that are larger but find these difficult to gauge.

I would, however, like something entirely different than my first 2 solitaires if possible, but looking around I don't see how this is possible given our budget. I'd like to get away from round and have a different style entirely this time.

I also got the name of an very well respected local jeweler in NYC via my boss who's family has been using this person for ages (in the district, upstairs office, not ground floor) and intend to contact them. If for no other reason than to have the 2nd E-Ring reset into something wearable.

Sorry for the rambling post, like I said I'm just kind of mentally figuring things out before my partner and I start actually going anywhere or even me overwhelming him with diamonds statistics. I think he'd find it interesting to learn (he's a geeky kind of guy) but knowing him, might begin to feel that what he can afford will be inadequate. There's even part of me that would like to offer some money towards it - again, we are not young kids, and I can well afford to chip in to get something I really love. Just not sure how he'd feel about that...

Thanks in advance for bearing with this and for any guidance you may be able to provide me with.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I think you will get more feedback in the Rocky Talky area. You might want to hit the report concern button and ask the mods to move this thread over to RT. I definitely think some PS members can help you find a nice stone within your budget. Are you open to preloved rings? There are a couple of very nice ones recently listed that fit your budget. :wavey:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you sell or trade in your other diamonds for your new ring?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
madelise|1452557818|3974484 said:
Why don't you sell or trade in your other diamonds for your new ring?

I'm absolutely considering this, along with the marriage band itself which has channel set diamonds in it. I know I won't get what it was worth, but anything we can put towards a new ring would be wonderful. It isn't like it has sentimental value and I've been struggling to figure out how to reset a 1 ct stone without it looking like an engagement ring.

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1452577607|3974606 said:
Maybe be different by skipping the usual kind of e-ring altogether & choose a band ring from the myriad styles available, which you could certainly wear as an e-ring? Very recent conversation here along those lines:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whats-your-opinion-on-eternity-band-as-the-engagement-ring.218241/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whats-your-opinion-on-eternity-band-as-the-engagement-ring.218241/[/URL]

And this one is wonderful also. I do like the idea of it totally not looking "engagement". We already consider ourselves married - we've been a couple for over 7 years and have know each other a bit longer. At my age, this has a nice wow factor, and looks easy to wear.

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Ritani ring, but I think if I were in your shoes (and I am close to your age), I would love a 5 stone diamond band.

This is a simple one, but it has top quality diamonds and would give a lot of bling for the money! You could also wear a plain band with it if you wanted to.

http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/five-stone-shared-prong-diamond-wedding-band-819.htm

or

http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/five-stone-surprise-u-prong-diamond-wedding-band-639.htm

I can look for more later if you are interested, but I do like Whiteflash because of their diamond quality.

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1452612348|3974751 said:
I like the Ritani ring, but I think if I were in your shoes (and I am close to your age), I would love a 5 stone diamond band.

This is a simple one, but it has top quality diamonds and would give a lot of bling for the money! You could also wear a plain band with it if you wanted to.

http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/five-stone-shared-prong-diamond-wedding-band-819.htm

or

http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/five-stone-surprise-u-prong-diamond-wedding-band-639.htm

I can look for more later if you are interested, but I do like Whiteflash because of their diamond quality.

Both are potentials, again thanks for linking it!

I can see where going this route would be more economical. I'm going to do some research on selling my old ring(s) also. I'll have to get them re-certified, but that will be worth the cost. It would help towards the purchase of something I will really enjoy as opposed to settling on something I like, but aren't in love with.

Keep suggestions coming! You guys are fantastic!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't agree more with getting something you love! The biggest mistake we make is settling for something that we don't really love.

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1452615793|3974781 said:
I couldn't agree more with getting something you love! The biggest mistake we make is settling for something that we don't really love.

When I received my first E-Ring, I had no idea how to tell the guy I hated the setting.

When my 2nd husband bought me diamond studs, from Macy's, I thought they were terribly matched and cloudy. By then, I had the confidence to tell him they just weren't good. Even a friend had mentioned they looked cheap. He took them back and we went elsewhere and bought an exceptional pair - albeit for a lot more money. But, I haven't taken them off since - have had them on other than for cleanings for easily 10 years now :D

I

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ditto going with a 5 stone (or more) and skipping the engagement look. I'm a tad younger than you and I was wearing my 5 stone
most the time and only wearing my engagement ring for "special" occasions.

I suggest you talk to ID Jewelry if you decide to go this route (or actually any route). You can get a 7 stone, 1.4 ctw within your
$2k budget. Depending on your finger size it will pretty much give you full finger coverage (like an eternity band). Get a simple
gold band to go with it. This however may not give you the "something different" you are looking for. You might also check ebay
for some wider wedding bands with unique designs that you can use as your engagement ring/wedding band.

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1452698375|3975386 said:
I ditto going with a 5 stone (or more) and skipping the engagement look. I'm a tad younger than you and I was wearing my 5 stone
most the time and only wearing my engagement ring for "special" occasions.

I suggest you talk to ID Jewelry if you decide to go this route (or actually any route). You can get a 7 stone, 1.4 ctw within your
$2k budget. Depending on your finger size it will pretty much give you full finger coverage (like an eternity band). Get a simple
gold band to go with it. This however may not give you the "something different" you are looking for. You might also check ebay
for some wider wedding bands with unique designs that you can use as your engagement ring/wedding band.

I actually am leaning towards doing an eternity band now that some of you have showed me how eye catching they can be. It really makes more sense to my lifestyle. I commute via mass transit into NYC for work and always was concerned about having a solitaire on my finger.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An eternity band is elegant and contemporary. Perfect for your new marriage!

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1452744706|3975763 said:
Not an eternity band, but I'm posting it because you seem eager to see a wide range of possibilities & this Champagne pavé platinum ring is somewhat "hidden" on Whiteflash's web site because they call it a right-hand ring, so you might not have seen it if you've visited the site:
http://www.whiteflash.com/right-hand-rings/champagne-pave-diamond-right-hand-ring-1527.htm

Wow, that is very different. I will look at the RHR's on Whiteflash now for sure!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you expressed concerns about drawing attention on mass transit, I would vote for a 5 or 7 stone ring. That way, you can turn it upside down and have the diamonds Palm side down and plain band up when you feel uncomfortable in your surroundings.

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
Ok so my budget has been upped.

Just had lunch with my BF and brought up the idea of me selling the (nearly) 1 ct. stone I have to help pay for my ring. At first, he was saying he can't give me an answer - he started talking about whether or not I have any emotional attachment to it. I'm like, gosh no! I have no kids to leave it to and while I have a lot of nieces (and soon a step daughter and step granddaughter) they all have moms who will leave them stuff.

So, we agreed it was a good idea, and it will give us a better budget to work with. I'm not sure of it's value so if anyone has suggestions where to get it re-certified in either NYC or northern NJ, that would be fantastic. I know it won't fetch full price but even half might be a hefty sum.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions thus far. I'll be posting again once we begin to seriously look. I have the names of 2 reputable jewelers in the diamond district in NYC, and one near my home that is trustworthy and has been in town for 30 years or so. Continuing to look online also since I'm not opposed to buying this way.

773dianeb

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I'm 54 (almost 55 in a couple of weeks) and was married for the 2nd time last October. What a pleasant surprise that was to me at my age and after having been single since my late twenties! :love:

I decided that having a diamond band of some sort was more practical at my age. So, after much research, I chose a 9 stone diamond band as my engagement ring with a thin platinum wedding band. I'm a tall woman, 6' and not small by any means :(( so I wanted to make sure that the stones at least wrapped to the sides. The ring has 9 - 32 pt stones and is perfect. It has the look of an eternity without the extra cost and stress of worrying about damaging the diamonds on the bottom. I was able to get bigger diamonds since it was not an eternity which looks nice with my stubby fingers.

I do love some of the choices that have been provided here though. You have many options. Good Luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results