shape
carat
color
clarity

Help purchasing first diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nwbe123

Rough_Rock
Well, first off, this stone may be sold (I should find out today). I am looking at other alternatives. The other stone that aljdewey suggested is another option. 0.963, H, SI1, BR, IDEAL, IDEAL, H&A, $4,208.31

The H&A do look better in the other images. It's cheaper than what I was planning on spending, so I'm thinking about looking at some other alternatives which exhibit a better color/clarity grade. What I'm mainly concerned about is the clarity. Although, Linda does state the following:

"The 0.963 H SI1 is a gorgeous eye clean diamond. Under high magnification,
the main inclusion is a cluster of white pinpoints rests to the side of
the table. The idealscope image is a full, rich red denoting virtually no
light leakage. The Hearts and Arrows pattern is crisp and complete,
indicating excellent symmetry and proportions. It is exquisite."

Web 245116M.jpg

DEVO

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert by any stretch but I would never call that stone an H&A.

nwbe123

Rough_Rock
Which stone are you referring to? The one that we've been talking about for a while or the one of which I just spoke. The later is seen in this picture...

Web 245116H.jpg

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
For the love of God.

They're both very nice stones. Whatever tiny imperfection exists in the first one will be unnoticeable to the human eye. They will both sparkle like mad and make the intended wearer pass out with joy. And the SI1 will not have noticeable inclusions without magnification. If Linda says you won't notice them, I really doubt that you will.

Hey, if we're very nice maybe we can get Linda to bark like a seal. In her spare time, of course, when she's not running around procuring endless pictures to be posted and minutely scrutinized on this forum.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Careful, CG....posts like this one could provoke the wrath.....know what I mean?
wink2.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I am "The Wrath". It says so on my red pleather bodysuit.
9.gif

Look, my point is this - we are talking about minute, infinitesimal differences here. I would bet my next paycheque that you would not be able to discern any difference whatsover between these two stones, side by side, with the naked eye. Do you want the "best" stone you can get for your money? Fine, it's obvious then, go with the one that has more "perfect" hearts. Or pick the other one, because the table is slightly bigger or smaller or the diameter is .0002% bigger. They're almost identical stones.

Jumble of letters beginning with N, I'd listen to what the vendor is telling you here.

nwbe123

Rough_Rock
I thank you all for your honesty. I apologize if I am being overly critical of every detail. This is a large purchase for me and something that she'll have for the rest of her life. I strive for this to be as perfect as it can be.

You have all been very helpful in this process. When I finally do select a stone, I'll have a couple more questions...

1. Is the process generally: have the stone sent to an appraiser, have it sent back and have it mounted?
2. They do not carry the mounting that I would like - Vatche 802. I will need to have this shipped to them. Any suggestions on where to go for this?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Don't apologize AT ALL
rodent.gif
- every detail should count, and you should ask as many questions as it takes for YOU to understand and feel comfortable with the value in your purchase.

There are many different options available to you in terms of what comes next. If you want to minimize the delay and the time spent shipping the stone back and forth, then I'd suggest you have it shipped to an appraiser directly. I'd recommend calling the appraiser first to make sure he/she has time in the schedule to perform your appraisal on a time frame suitable to you.

Find someone (I'll look into that a bit more after) you can buy the Vatche 802 setting from and have that also sent to the appraiser.

This gives the appraiser the opportunity to do the appraisal on your stone while it's loose. Ask your appraiser if he can set the stone or if he has someone he can take it to who can set it. This is usually an extra charge (ran me $50 to do this; it will save you a ton in shipping charges and will allow you to eliminate delays getting the ring.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
There's no need to apologize. My gripe isn't with you specifically, it's more of a general feeling that we tend to lose our grasp of one of my favourite words, *context*, around here sometimes.
1.gif
You've done your homework and found two really nice, very similar stones. You won't be losing your shirt on either of them and I imagine your girl will be very pleased indeedy.
1.gif

This is what I'd do re: mounting & appraising. Order the Vatche setting from a vendor who carries it (Whiteflash and NiceIce spring to mind as vendors who carry Vatche.) Get your stone sent to Vatche so that they can set it in the ring (could take a couple of weeks, from what I understand) because if you don't, it voids their warranty. Get them to ship the completed ring to your appraiser of choice (I'd recommend Rich Sherwood, we used him and he's great.) The appraiser will then send the ring and the appraisal to you. You can then use that appraisal to get insurance on the ring.
1.gif

I'd also ask Linda what she recommends you do re the mounting in this situation, she might have a better idea.
1.gif

nwbe123

Rough_Rock
Would it be better to appraise the diamond prior to setting it? If so, I could send the diamond to the appraiser and have him/her send the diamond to Vatche and have them send it to me.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Excuse me Ms. Wrath. Could you step aside for a sec?
2.gif
Your cape is blocking my view of the stone.
9.gif

The second stone looks awesome and it doesn't have the weird naked heart area. Plus it's available right? The images look great...it's cheaper too? Get it! Yay!
1.gif

An H in platinum is more than fine....just ask AL who got her ring last week and thinks it's the whitest sparkliest thing ever. The arrows are fun too. Congrats, both are great stones but I'd get the 2nd one.
1.gif

DEVO

Rough_Rock
... forgot to quote the post.

newbie, I was talking about the 1st set of photos... where one of the heart is really off. The last photo looks much better!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which one did you purchase? The misshappen heart or the second option? Congrats on either one, I bet they will both be stunners!! Can't help with the Vatche Q
1.gif

Happy Holidays!

nwbe123

Rough_Rock
Second one. :)

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
YAY - this stone looks GORGEOUS!

Can't wait to see pics - don't forget us when it comes back from Vatche!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Vatche settings should come every 1/4 size in the more common size range. So, 5 1/2 shouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results