shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Princess with Cut Corners or is it a square Radiant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
Hey Experts! Take a look at the specs and pic below and let me know if this looks like a Princess with cut corners or simply a square radiant. The diagram on the EGL certificate (which I know isn't meant to be exact) is identical to the radiant one on the AGA site and it was sold to me as a radiant, BUT... the pics showing the table and crown to my untrained eye look more a little like a Princess. Or is that just because it is square? Any ideas? The stone looks great in person... and very very white, but is the cut as poor as the radiant cut chart specs make it out to be? I'm confused.

1.71 ct J SI1
Dimensions: 6.92 x 6.60 x 4.70
Depth %: 71.2
Table %: 80%
Crown: 6.0%
Pavilion Depth: 60%

Girdle: Medium to Thick polished
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Cutlet: None
Fluorescence: Faint

ThePackage_sm12.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
This stone is definitely not a princess; it has that shattered glass look. Also, you would not want to buy a princess with a table larger than the depth (and never a table greater than 72%) or one with less than a 10% crown. I'm not an expert in radiants, but I can tell you this isn't a princess!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Actually, the more I look at the stone the more I think it does have a princess look to it. Do you have a picture of the plot or the ideal scope image?

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Are the corners actually cut or are they just hidden under the prongs? It's hard to tell in your picture.

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
Here is a pic of the loose stone before it was set... it definitely has cut corners.

ThePackage_sm13.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
In that picture it looks more like a radiant.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
From the top picture it looks like a princess. Note that X effect.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
That's what made me question my first guess. The problem is it looks so different than my stone, but it may just be the large table throwing me off!

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
Funny... and is this picture (I swear it's the same stone!) I think it totally looks like a radiant. Just food for thought.

ThePackage_sm14.jpg

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
The (table) diagram on the cert looks exactly like the Radiant diagram from the AGA site... so yea. Who knows.

EGLcertdiagram.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
For the life of me I can't make up my mind! Radiants aren't supposed to have a center (which the first picture does), but I've never seen a princess with that shattered glass look. Maybe you have a new cut, the "radiant princess"?
2.gif

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
Could it have a radiant crown/table with a Princess pavillion (Nicrez had that idea). You might also check out Colleen's (cmcwill) ring and post from 4/10/04 titled "My radiant engagement ring!!" here but it's not exactly like that either. Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm...."

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/9/2004 4:59:34 PM diamond_noob wrote:

Could it have a radiant crown/table with a Princess pavillion (Nicrez had that idea).
----------------

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I saw it... I think it's a really cool look, actually. I like the more "organized" look of the princess, as well as the "shattered glass" look of the radiants, and that looks like the best of both worlds. I think, whatever you call it, it looks really cool and interesting.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We often call octagonal princess cuts "radiant" cuts. It is sloppy, but radiant cuts always have cut corners. Faceting styles truly vary from stone to stone. What I see in the photo looks like a princess cut with cut corners. The plot design is a radiant crown, but the pavilion image I see in the photo looks very princess-like. The photo is not well defined enough for me to be sure, but that's may present opinion...Might not be worth a whole lot. Sorry, but I can't see it well enough.

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
Here is the actual diagram from the cert itself (even though I know that's not necessarily a perfect match to the stone) just FYI.

EGLCertDiag_sm2.jpg

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
To help with "sleuthing," there are more pictures here inside "Show Me the Ring"

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I'm sticking with a "radiant princess", but think Dave's probably right about it being an octagonal princess. I just don't know though because it does seem to have that shattered glass look!

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
If you go to the "Original" Radiant site here and look at the pavilion diagram of the original, you can tell it is slightly different than at least what is indicated on mine. The original has less of a center than on my report. But who knows. Will an appraiser be able to lend any insight in person? I hope so. It's scheduled for next Tuesday and I'll be sure to let you know what I find out.

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
Any other ideas/suggestions before I go to the appraiser tomorrow? What about those cut % numbers? I bought the stone after looking at it in person and with the dimensions (but not the cut %'s) dictateed over the phone since it was out of state. I love the unique look of the color, shape/cut, and clarity (S1 but eye clean) in person but after seeing the actual table % on the cert now I am starting to have second thoughts. But it's already been purchased and set and I am proposing next week.
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif

Now I'm just wondering if I can ever get excited / proud about this third largest purchase of my life knowing it has those kind of numbers...
sad.gif

Any thoughts?

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Especially in fancy shapes, "those numbers" are a way to steer you to something that looks good. You in fact found something that looks quite stunning. I think that means you did a great job here
1.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Looking at the first picture, it looks like a cut corner princess because of the "X". The other pics look like a radiant with a shattered glass look. I think you found an extremely unique stone!!

diamond_noob

Rough_Rock
Well, the jury is in! I took my ring to the appaiser today (independent, GG, CGA, AGS, ect.) and he confirmed all of the specs on the EGL-USA cert.... with the exception of the plot diagram, which he suspected was included simply because of the cut corners.

The best description of the cut is that it is a unique cut with a combination of both Princess and Radiant facets, which he said he had never seen before! So, this gives the ring the clearly defined "X" in the center, with a shattered glass look from the side and on the edges. In my biased opinion, the best of both worlds - a cut as beautiful and unique as my girlfriend!!

I think this also explains at least to some extent why the numbers didn't align well with the Radiant cut charts, since it obviously "performs" (surprisingly) strong in person but "should" have been a lifeless stone according to those charts. From a numbers perspective, it's closer to a Princess.

I guess this just confirms an overall message across these forums that especially when you're dealing with fancy shapes, the numbers can be a good place to start but should never be considered "gospel."

Thanks again for all of the insight and encouragement...

- diamond_noob

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/13/2004 11:26:56 PM diamond_noob wrote:

The best description of the cut is that it is a unique cut with a combination of both Princess and Radiant facets, which he said he had never seen before! So, this gives the ring the clearly defined 'X' in the center, with a shattered glass look from the side and on the edges. In my biased opinion, the best of both worlds - a cut as beautiful and unique as my girlfriend!!

I guess this just confirms an overall message across these forums that especially when you're dealing with fancy shapes, the numbers can be a good place to start but should never be considered 'gospel.'

Thanks again for all of the insight and encouragement...

- diamond_noob----------------

Diamond_noob,

I am so glad that the appraisal affirmed your purchase. You have one really unique and beautiful stone. I agree that the charts are great guidelines but not gospel as I would have passed on my beautiful radiant stone had I gone strictly by the "numbers"!

I only have one question, are you going to refer to it as a Prindiant, or a Radicess??
naughty.gif

Congrats on a beautiful ering!!
9.gif

cmcwill

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to come here late...

Our stones do look similar! I still refer to mine as a radiant though. While it does have "one X in the middle" it still looks very different to me from princesses. I don't think the pavillion is exactly the same as a princess. That actually took me awhile to get over while we were looking, but now I love the unqiue look. I also love the tiny cracked glass on the outside of the stone when you tilt it, and love the organization when looking right through the table.

Good luck on proposing!
Colleen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results