shape
carat
color
clarity

Help pricing Octagonal cut Asscher

Erik_the_scientist

Rough_Rock
I am looking at getting this octagonal step cut asscher for an engagement ring. It’s 1.91c, J, and VVS2. The ring all in is going to run me about 15k. I haven’t seen any other ring like this and am having a hard time understanding how much I am paying for how unique this is (and how reasonable the cost is).
Another PS’er pointed out the fish eye effect which I am okay with...but wonder if that indicates its poorly cut.
Would love some help! E4F1886D-8B26-4F1D-A032-5920A528F7E4.png

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Assher is one of those fancy cuts which is extremely difficult to judge without seeing it in person or via a proper video tutorial. Are you in the US? In just looking at the picture - no I am not liking it one bit.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking at getting this octagonal step cut asscher for an engagement ring. It’s 1.91c, J, and VVS2. The ring all in is going to run me about 15k. I haven’t seen any other ring like this and am having a hard time understanding how much I am paying for how unique this is (and how reasonable the cost is).
Another PS’er pointed out the fish eye effect which I am okay with...but wonder if that indicates its poorly cut.
Would love some help! E4F1886D-8B26-4F1D-A032-5920A528F7E4.png

This particular stone would not be my choice for an ER.
The center is dull, and dark, from the photo. Correctly dubbed “fish eye”.
If you have video that better represents this stone, in better light, and makes it appear more desirable, I’d love to see it.

In this static image, it’s not something desirable to look at everyday on the finger.

This cut is beautiful, when executed correctly.

Can you share the vendor and your desired budget?
I believe we may be able to help you find a better octagonal step cut that meets your needs.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You shouldn’t be ok with the fish eye because it’s indicative of a poor cut. Given that diamonds one job is to sparkle and reflect light, you don’t want to pay for one that’s not doing its job right.
With step cuts you want to see the steps light up as you tilt and move the stone around and you don’t want to see any steps that never light up or never turn off.
Not trying to be heteronormative but I assume you’re not the intended wearer of the ring? Does the wearer want an asscher, want one so octagonal and how are you planning to set it?
If they do, this isn’t a good example of such an asscher.

Erik_the_scientist

Rough_Rock
If you have video that better represents this stone, in better light, and makes it appear more desirable, I’d love to see it.

In this static image, it’s not something desirable to look at everyday on the finger.

I believe we may be able to help you find a better octagonal step cut that meets your needs.

Thanks everyone for all the great information! After talking it out I think we are going to pass on purchasing this stone. We are definitely biased towards getting a lab grown stone cut in this octagonal manner (budget ~$10k). @matthew1127 let’s connect I would love some help finding a better stone.

Erik_the_scientist

Rough_Rock
To clarify we want to do a vintage stone or lab grown if new. We like the octagonal step cut and would like to find a vintage stone like this but it’s the only one we have found. For lab grown we have been looking for an Asscher but the problem is all the ones we have found have small windmills/corner cuts.

if anyone has recommendations for vintage octagonal step cut or lab grown Asschers with large corner cuts between 1.5-2c I would appreciate the advice.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To clarify we want to do a vintage stone or lab grown if new. We like the octagonal step cut and would like to find a vintage stone like this but it’s the only one we have found. For lab grown we have been looking for an Asscher but the problem is all the ones we have found have small windmills/corner cuts.

if anyone has recommendations for vintage octagonal step cut or lab grown Asschers with large corner cuts between 1.5-2c I would appreciate the advice.

Check out www.gemconcepts.net - Yoram is a longstanding trade member on here and his stones are niiiiiiiiiiice 8-)

He has custom-cut an Octavia recently - the post should be in the MMD section of the forum!

IIRC he has to start from 2.5ct and go up in order to cover his costs on that cut, but that's because it has extremely tight tolerances and takes a week (!) to cut.

Other stones should be quicker, I expect!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for all the great information! After talking it out I think we are going to pass on purchasing this stone. We are definitely biased towards getting a lab grown stone cut in this octagonal manner (budget ~$10k). @matthew1127 let’s connect I would love some help finding a better stone.

My pleasure to help!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out www.gemconcepts.net - Yoram is a longstanding trade member on here and his stones are niiiiiiiiiiice 8-)

He has custom-cut an Octavia recently - the post should be in the MMD section of the forum!

IIRC he has to start from 2.5ct and go up in order to cover his costs on that cut, but that's because it has extremely tight tolerances and takes a week (!) to cut.

Other stones should be quicker, I expect!

Yoram is a gem, and his craftsmanship is unparalleled.
I love my vintage Asschers DH purchased for me for an anniversary band.
They are TDF!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
malybe check with Grace, I think she has one but maybe not in your budget

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I came across a very nice octagonal cut mined stone on James Allen once (under Asscher). Not common but worth asking vendors if they happen to have one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regular asschers will be easy to find, but finding the particular cut like the one in your photo is extremely unlikely. I agree that if you want lab grown, contact Alex Park. Yoram recently cut a lab grown stone, and he is a master cutter. I'd love to have one of his antique asschers, but I'd go for a natural diamond if I were having him cut one.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I forgot - Jon / Rhino on here has a octagonal cut asscher IIRC - it might be on his instagram.

(Not sure if it would be under his Distinctive Gems page or the August Vintage page - I think the latter no longer exists.)

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
august vintage inc website is now distinctive gem website and on instagram

Erik_the_scientist

Rough_Rock

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
based on all the great input I found this at park fine group. How does the group feel about this? Thanks for all the amazing input and help I checked out all these resources.

4E102D83-C5C1-45CF-A12E-61CFCC9F97CD.jpeg

I really like it, it almost looks like a royal asscher. Beautiful hall of mirrors I think it looks like it has an additional step compared to normal asschers. I'm surprised it hasn't been snapped up yet to be honest

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful and I can't wait to see more of Alex's lab step-cuts.

Being an antique cut, it does have a culet. If it doesn't bother you then go for it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's posted several on instagram recently, all of which I have thought would look good on my finger.. :D lol

What are his Returns policies like?

You need to be able to assess it at home and make sure you are totally happy with whatever you buy, MMD or not!

Erik_the_scientist

Rough_Rock
He's posted several on instagram recently, all of which I have thought would look good on my finger.. :D lol

What are his Returns policies like?

You need to be able to assess it at home and make sure you are totally happy with whatever you buy, MMD or not!

return policy is 7 days! We have the diamond. It looks great, we are excited about it. Is there anything we should do from a due diligence standpoint within these 7 days? He provided the IGI cert and ASET. Trying to figure out if we are missing anything....

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
return policy is 7 days! We have the diamond. It looks great, we are excited about it. Is there anything we should do from a due diligence standpoint within these 7 days? He provided the IGI cert and ASET. Trying to figure out if we are missing anything....

OK, cool, 7 days is not too long but also a reasonable time - check whether it needs to leave you by the seventh day or be with them by the seventh day!

In terms of due diligence, check it out in as many lighting environments as you can, such as:
- spotlights
- incandescent bulbs
- 'flat' uplighting (with no individual sources of light)
- clouds (easy in the UK :D )
- sun
- under a tree canopy
- candlelight (excuse for posh dinner? :D )
- near darkness (as a well cut stone can still look bright/glowing!)

That will help you understand the stone's 'character' and how it performs in each situation, and whether you are happy in all cases - diamonds don't always blind you with sparkle, sometimes they are gently subdued, but they should always be interesting to look at if done well :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results