shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please - Opinions on these diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pitchinwedge

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Looking to buy from an online vendor and would love some opinions on these diamonds. It will be placed in a plain platinum solitaire setting. This is my first post so please excuse me if I miss something.

Option #1: $8,900
Holloway Cut Advisor results 0.9 - Excellent
Here are the details from EGL-USA certificate:

Shape: Round Brilliant
Carat weight: 1.60
Cut: EGL Ideal (whatever does this mean??
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: EGL-USA

Depth: 61.4
Table: 56%
Crown: 32.6 (14.3%)
Pavil: 40.8 (43.0%)
Girdle: 1.2% - 3.1%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.51-7.47 c 4.60mm

Option #2: $8,100
Holloway Cut Advisor results 2.5 - Very Good
Here are the details from GIA certificate:

Shape: Round Brilliant
Carat weight: 1.56
Cut: Excellent
Color: G
Clarity: SI2
Certificate: GIA w/attached Sarin Report
Per GIA the following:
Depth: 62.1%
Table: 56%
Crown: 35.5 (15.5%)
Pavil: 40.8 (43.0%)
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Med - Slightly Thick (faceted)
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None 1-7.47
Measurements: 7.4 - 7.44 x 4.61mm
Per Sarin:
Depth: 4.60mm (62.0%)
Table: 4.21mm (56.8%)
Crown: 35.4 (15.5%)
Pavil: 40.8 (43.0)
Culet: 0.5 (very small)
Girdle: 2.0
TOTAL Grade: 0

Seems odd to me that Sarin''s equivalent AGS cut grade is 0 while HCA indicates pretty less stellar results. Without knowing much more and no other reports available, I''m leaning towards the costlier Option #1 with EGL grading. What are your thoughts?

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS.
35.gif

Diamond 1 has a fairly shallow crown. This usually results in more brilliance (white light) and less fire (colored spectral light). It is preferable to have crown angles in the 34-35 degree range.

EGL grading is sometimes a little more lenient than GIA or AGS, though EGL-USA is considered the most strict of all the EGL labs. Without being able to see the diamond in person, it is a bit of a gamble.

Diamond 2's crown is a little steep for the pavillion angle. If tightly cut, it may not be a problem--the only way to know is with Idealscope images. Would the vendor be able to provide those for you?

If images are not available, I would probably keep looking for safer proportions or go with a vendor that can provide photos and IS images.

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
I would have thought that number 1 would be at some risk of obstruction or other optical issues, due to the shallow angle combination.

Number two has a rather steep crown for that pavilion angle, which might dull the light return.

There are also many people who consider that labs - other than GIA or AGS - may have very slack grading, with diamond colour and/or clarity sometimes being considerably over-stated, with a reduction in price of many non-GIA/AGS stones in recognition of the risk of buying a stone that isn't quite as high grade as the certificate says.

Both stones definitely need more information, such as images or a visual inspection. I would not hurry to buy either of them, but it's also possible that both could be fantastic. But you need more info.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First diamond does indeed have a shallower crown, obstruction probably won't be an issue with the steeper pavilion angle as it is normally shallow crown and pavilion angle combos that are affected. As Jet explains, this stone will probably favour white light return rather than fire.

The second diamond is borderline steep deep, it could be ok but images are essential for both diamonds to check them out properly such as Idealscope. Also you might be aware EGL's grading standards can be soft in some cases compared to GIA or AGS, so unless you are prepared to take a chance and pay for an independant appraisal on any EGL graded diamond, I would look at GIA or AGS graded diamonds. Also the concerning the term EGL Ideal, I suppose it is used to describe diamonds of a certain level of cut quality but I have no idea what they base this on. Such terms do not always guarantee you a well cut diamond.

pitchinwedge

Rough_Rock
Thanks for you input! As you''re pointing out neither of them seem to be stand outs. I think I''ll keep looking.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results