shape
carat
color
clarity

[Help]Please help advise with this Diamond

Keroro1337

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

This is my first time here and I would like to ask for opinion after months of research and findings. I have found this 0.91 carat diamond, I really like it because it represent the year she born - '91.
I have check with HCA tool, all kind of calculator and the result all looks great for me.
But I hope any experienced people here can help me for my engagement ring.
The GIA is 7311857783 - https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=7311857783

This will cost $4,900, wonder if worth it. Please give me some advise.
View media item 122717View media item 122716

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This diamond scores a 5.7 on the HCA calculator, which is a tool to determine whether the diamond has complementary angles. Complementary angles are important for maximizing light performance. Any score over 2 is considered non-complementary and would indicate a likelihood of poor light performance. This stone should be rejected. It will most likely be dull and lifeless due to its fair-poor scores on fire and scintillation. If you post your desires and budget, others with more expertise then me can post alternate suggestions for you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't buy this stone. It's not a very good one. If you post your budget and desired specs we can help!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Keroro1337

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I don't know if it's a bug, HCA read the pavilion angle as 43 instead of 41 base from GIA. If I put 41, the score is 1.5 tho

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While it's not terrible, it does fall outside the typically recommended angles here. With the larger table, it will favor white flashes of light over fire that a smaller table will tend to produce. it's a specific look that some like. I found the stone easily on a few sites and watched the video. with the larger table and slightly lower crown it has skinnier arrows than all that are posted above and again, you will see less fire, more white flashes.

Keroro1337

Rough_Rock
This diamond scores a 5.7 on the HCA calculator, which is a tool to determine whether the diamond has complementary angles. Complementary angles are important for maximizing light performance. Any score over 2 is considered non-complementary and would indicate a likelihood of poor light performance. This stone should be rejected. It will most likely be dull and lifeless due to its fair-poor scores on fire and scintillation. If you post your desires and budget, others with more expertise then me can post alternate suggestions for you.

Hi natasha-cupcake,

Thanks for the advice, but from GIA cert, the pavilion angle is 41 not 43 if i copy paste GIA number in HCA tool wrong value for that part. If 41 angle, it gives me 1.5 score which is below 2.
Do u think its fine to pay ~$5k for this?

Last edited:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Using the correct pavilion angle does yield a better score, but the HCA is only useful for rejecting stones that won't perform well. A good score doesn't guarantee good performance. Next step is to look at ASET, IdealScope, H&A images and photo or video information. I found your diamond on a site that did have a 360 video of the stone. I saw significant light leakage under the table, obstruction around the star facets and what looked like uncoordinated arrow pattern. Honestly, I think you could do much better than this. There's a lot more to good cutting than just complementary angles and this stone probably is not well cut. I also think the price is too low (way too low) for what you should be paying for a well performing .9-ish F VS1. This is a red flag for me. Generally, you will get what you pay for. There really are no great bargains with diamonds, unless you buy pre-loved. Going that route has its own pros and cons, though.

Keroro1337

Rough_Rock
Using the correct pavilion angle does yield a better score, but the HCA is only useful for rejecting stones that won't perform well. A good score doesn't guarantee good performance. Next step is to look at ASET, IdealScope, H&A images and photo or video information. I found your diamond on a site that did have a 360 video of the stone. I saw significant light leakage under the table, obstruction around the star facets and what looked like uncoordinated arrow pattern. Honestly, I think you could do much better than this. There's a lot more to good cutting than just complementary angles and this stone probably is not well cut. I also think the price is too low (way too low) for what you should be paying for a well performing .9-ish F VS1. This is a red flag for me. Generally, you will get what you pay for. There really are no great bargains with diamonds, unless you buy pre-loved. Going that route has its own pros and cons, though.
Hi thanks for the advise. I see the cut is excellent, but maybe the real looks not that good as it is. I hav ask them for the scope image next Monday. Would you continue give me advise? Please :)

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's important to remember that GIA Triple XXX does not automatically mean an excellent cut. The XXX category will include sub-par cuts, despite the name. It might be nice to see the ASET to confirm what I saw on the video, but, honestly, if I was in the market, I would reject this stone on the video alone. Admittedly, I'm pretty particular. My philosophy is that the entire purpose of a diamond is to sparkle, so I want the best performing stone I could possibly afford for my price range. I think this stone is not a good performer. Given the low price, I think the vendor probably agrees with me.

These are examples of "super ideal" (extremely well cut) diamonds that are .91 F VS1. I'm posting these to show you more realistic prices for the "best" quality diamond in this size, color and clarity. This vendor has a great reputation, an outstanding upgrade policy (trade in your diamond for a better one that is only $1 more in price), a great buyback policy (70%) and excellent customer service.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=3961910,4070334

This diamond is from another excellent super ideal vendor who is currently running a 7% discount promotion (March Madness, so ending soon). Upgrade policy is a little more restrictive ($1 more and upgrade two out of three of color, clarity or size).

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../0.906-f-vs1-round-diamond-ags-c-104104774041

My favorite super ideal vendor (best upgrade and buy back policies, and I love Wink, et al--truly wonderful people) HPDiamonds does not currently have a .91 F VS1 in their inventory. Again, I'm only showing you these to let you know what realistic prices are for the best of the best for a .91 F VS1. That's not to say you can't buy a really beautiful diamond with these exact specs for a little less. But not for $3000 less. You can save money by going down in color or clarity, if the .91 size is sentimental to you. What is your budget and your must haves? It would be easier to find a really great performer to replace this not so good one, if we know your budget and must haves.

Keroro1337

Rough_Rock
It's important to remember that GIA Triple XXX does not automatically mean an excellent cut. The XXX category will include sub-par cuts, despite the name. It might be nice to see the ASET to confirm what I saw on the video, but, honestly, if I was in the market, I would reject this stone on the video alone. Admittedly, I'm pretty particular. My philosophy is that the entire purpose of a diamond is to sparkle, so I want the best performing stone I could possibly afford for my price range. I think this stone is not a good performer. Given the low price, I think the vendor probably agrees with me.

These are examples of "super ideal" (extremely well cut) diamonds that are .91 F VS1. I'm posting these to show you more realistic prices for the "best" quality diamond in this size, color and clarity. This vendor has a great reputation, an outstanding upgrade policy (trade in your diamond for a better one that is only $1 more in price), a great buyback policy (70%) and excellent customer service.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=3961910,4070334

This diamond is from another excellent super ideal vendor who is currently running a 7% discount promotion (March Madness, so ending soon). Upgrade policy is a little more restrictive ($1 more and upgrade two out of three of color, clarity or size).

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../0.906-f-vs1-round-diamond-ags-c-104104774041

My favorite super ideal vendor (best upgrade and buy back policies, and I love Wink, et al--truly wonderful people) HPDiamonds does not currently have a .91 F VS1 in their inventory. Again, I'm only showing you these to let you know what realistic prices are for the best of the best for a .91 F VS1. That's not to say you can't buy a really beautiful diamond with these exact specs for a little less. But not for $3000 less. You can save money by going down in color or clarity, if the .91 size is sentimental to you. What is your budget and your must haves? It would be easier to find a really great performer to replace this not so good one, if we know your budget and must haves.
Hi,
Actually my budget for diamond is $4/5k with 0.91 carat.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Keroro1337

Rough_Rock
The .91 carat requirement will make this difficult. Here's a .908 (rounded up to .91???) from Whiteflash if you're okay with I color.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4068006.htm

This is .9, so I hesitate to post it, but I like the nice chunky arrows. I think this might be a nice stone.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6665260

Hi natasha-cupcake,

You seem to be very experience in diamond, can i ask u a question?
In GIA, there sometimes have image of diamond diagram and display feather, crystal, line with legends beside. But there are some GIA cert doesnt contain this diamond diagram. Are GIA certs have different type of detailed description I should aware of?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your lovely compliment! I'm not anywhere near as experienced as some people on this forum, but I've learned quite a bit from the regulars that post here. You are referring to inclusion plots. GIA issues a few different levels of report, including their regular report (any diamond over .15 carats), the GIA Diamond Dossier® (for diamonds .15-1.99 carats that have been laser inscribed with the GIA number), GIA Diamond eReport (online only for .15-2.99 carat diamonds) and the GIA Focus Report (for diamonds under .4 carats). Only the regular report will have an inclusion plot. Historically, even on the regular reports, only diamonds over 1 carat had inclusion plots. Diamonds under 1 carat did not. I don't know if this has changed since some of the newer reports started being issued. I can't find a statement on their website that refers to the issue, so I'm assuming it's still the case that diamonds under 1 carat do not have inclusion plots on the report. If I'm incorrect, hopefully someone else will chime in.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your lovely compliment! I'm not anywhere near as experienced as some people on this forum, but I've learned quite a bit from the regulars that post here. You are referring to inclusion plots. GIA issues a few different levels of report, including their regular report (any diamond over .15 carats), the GIA Diamond Dossier® (for diamonds .15-1.99 carats that have been laser inscribed with the GIA number), GIA Diamond eReport (online only for .15-2.99 carat diamonds) and the GIA Focus Report (for diamonds under .4 carats). Only the regular report will have an inclusion plot. Historically, even on the regular reports, only diamonds over 1 carat had inclusion plots. Diamonds under 1 carat did not. I don't know if this has changed since some of the newer reports started being issued. I can't find a statement on their website that refers to the issue, so I'm assuming it's still the case that diamonds under 1 carat do not have inclusion plots on the report. If I'm incorrect, hopefully someone else will chime in.

From “barry” on diamondreviewcom:

GIA has two types of reports:

1. Full report with diagram

2. Dossier-no diagram.

The dossier is less expensive and manufacturers/wholesalers do opt for this report.

If you're considering a diamond that has a GIA Dossier report, ask the Vendor to provide you with a 10X photo.

IOO, plotted diagrams have limited utility and may even confuse you as they are one-dimensional and don't provide the exact location, size, or color of the inclusion(s).”

So, if “barry” is correct - could be old info - it’s really whatever report is requested and paid for. Maybe more often for smaller diamonds, people think the inclusion plot is fairly worthless and so they don’t bother paying for one ... but getting an inclusion plot or not is not dependent just on diamond size ... it’s someone’s value decision.

Keroro1337

Rough_Rock
po134432 br 0.91 f vs1 aset.jpg po134432 br 0.91 f vs1 ideal.jpg po134432 br 0.91 f vs1 real.jpg

@kmoro ,@natasha-cupcake Thanks for the GIA answer.
I have the scope image of the diamond, i know there is this white leak at 7o'clock. Other than this, is there any major issue?
This will cost price of 5k, I kinda like this diamond. Green light for me to buy it?

Thank you

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't recommend it. The leakage looks pretty severe at the 7 o'clock position, but there's also less severe leakage almost all the way around. Maybe someone with more experience than me will chime in to give you another opinion.

I found this one in Whiteflash's inventory, but unfortunately, it's over budget ($5777 via bank wire).

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3986321.htm

I didn't see new diamonds at .91 carats in James Allen's inventory that looked really nice. Do you have a time deadline that you need to adhere to?

Keroro1337

Rough_Rock
I don't recommend it. The leakage looks pretty severe at the 7 o'clock position, but there's also less severe leakage almost all the way around. Maybe someone with more experience than me will chime in to give you another opinion.

I found this one in Whiteflash's inventory, but unfortunately, it's over budget ($5777 via bank wire).

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3986321.htm

I didn't see new diamonds at .91 carats in James Allen's inventory that looked really nice. Do you have a time deadline that you need to adhere to?
Hi Natasha,
Actually my deadline is at June.
But the one u link and my scope image seem like one is taken by professional and while mine is took with lousy scope

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Natasha,
Actually my deadline is at June.
But the one u link and my scope image seem like one is taken by professional and while mine is took with lousy scope
Maybe, but your image also suggests the diamond is not as high quality or cut as well.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe, but your image also suggests the diamond is not as high quality or cut as well.

Yeah ... I’m not an expert at ASET but that doesn’t look good to me either. I know you like it now but you’ll notice the darkness under the table. It looks like there’s a bunch of wonkiness - not very symmetrical, arrows are broken and misaligned, painting/digging?, meh .... I hope you abandon because you can do better.

Keroro1337

Rough_Rock
Hi, GIA cert said cut grade is excellent. Does GIA cert is not realisable?

Thank you

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you

Not as reliable as you’d like, and I think that shows in your images. Does it matter what the report says when the images indicate a bunch of light leakage?

Here’s the video I keep spreading around ... two GIA XXX ... I’m thinking that yours is a bit like the diamond on the right. I really hope that you find something better, that’s all.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you
Gia excellent doesn't mean the stone is a good performer. Gia XXX is (unfortunately) overly liberal, and many of them aren't good stones.

Keroro1337

Rough_Rock
I wonder I Google for aset image, they have very clean and symmetry photo. But the one provide by them(diamond shop) looks like badly taken. Its like those from Google image gone thruthr Photoshop.
Anyone has info about it?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder I Google for aset image, they have very clean and symmetry photo. But the one provide by them(diamond shop) looks like badly taken. Its like those from Google image gone thruthr Photoshop.
Anyone has info about it?
I am not sure what you are asking. I think this stone is not a great performer, and that's why the images don't look great.

Keroro1337

Rough_Rock
I am not sure what you are asking. I think this stone is not a great performer, and that's why the images don't look great.
Hi sorry for the confusion.
I mean I search Google for ASET image, their image is so perfect symmetry, looks like Photoshopped photo while the one I post, the image is irregular and uneven

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi sorry for the confusion.
I mean I search Google for ASET image, their image is so perfect symmetry, looks like Photoshopped photo while the one I post, the image is irregular and uneven
Obviously part of it is how good ppl are at taking these images. But most of it is bc the stones beung suggested are much better than the one you asked about.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results