shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Please!!! Amount Over Wholesale... Did I Pay Too Much???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chadrock

Rough_Rock
What is the average amount over wholesale that one should pay for a diamond? I recently purchased a 1.51 carat Radiant with the following specs:

Shape: Radiant
Carat: 1.51
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Measurements: 6.43x6.38x4.56
Table %: 65
Depth %: 71.5
Crown %: 14.6
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Thick
Cutlet: None
Fluorescence: No
Certificate: GIA
Price: $9,350

I took it to an independent appraiser this morning and he verified everything. The only differences were the following:

Measurements: 6.43x6.39x4.56
Depth %: 71.4
Table %: 65.3
Crown %: 13.9

He stated that the diamond was a little deep, which I originally thought as well, but overall, it is a very beautiful stone. Because it is a little deep, he gave it a 2B cut rating. Based on this, he said that wholesale value of the diamond would be approximately $7,740. This means I paid 20.8% over wholesale. I know that being a GIA certified stone that there is a little premium, but did I pay too much??? I have until 11/29 to return the diamond.

The other radiant that I was looking at had the following specs:

Shape: Radiant
Carat: 1.53
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Measurements: 6.57x6.52x4.36
Table %: 65
Depth %: 66.9
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thick
Cutlet: None
Fluorescence: No
Certificate: GIA
Price: $9,289

Would this be a better buy?

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Your appraiser does seem to think that you paid too much. I guess that there are two options available to you 1) take the stone back to the store and tell them that your appraiser said that you shouldn''t have paid more than $**** and try to get the rest of the money refunded. (this is a great option if you like the stone but feel that you were gauged) 2) take the stone back, get the other stone, bring it back to the appraiser.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
According to a pricescope search the price is inline with internet pricing you did good.
Plug the details into the search bar near the top of the this page and see for yourself.

So the bottom line is do you like the stone?
If the answer is yes then rest easy and enjoy :}

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some rough numbers on diamond markup:
Online:
drop shippers 20% or so
Full service 25% or so
Places like blue nile 35%-40%
B&M
25% or so to 200%+
Walmart:
20% or so but they can and have gone lower/higher.

Anymore very few places are getting over the 100% range.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results