shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Please-25k diamond budget

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
A while ago I posted about the nightmare saga of my original e-ring. A nasty JM/Jared/Us love (hate!) triangle. Tonight the situation finally got somewhat resolved. (Once the final T is crossed I will re-post the saga and re-open the discussion as promised-- the insurance vs warentee discussion will hopefully help someone out) I received my replacement stone tonight and am ready to sell/trade and get my new e-ring.

My replacement stone

AGS- report number 01040364210110

Stats are as follows-

Round brilliant- 7.33x7.36x4.47
AGS Ideal 0
AGS 2.0 (H)
AGS 5 (SI1)
1.462 cts
Fluero-Neg
Depth-60.9
Table-55.9
Crown-34.3
Pav-40.7

I am looking for a significantly bigger stone, I wear a size 10 ring and my current stone looks less then a carat proportionally. I do not want to halo for more finger coverage. If the place for the new stone either buys or trades in stones that would be great and saves me a step. (The stone is beautiful, really well cut, bright, white and sparkly, but the situation ruined the stone for both my husband and myself and is now filled with bad juju)

What I am looking for is as follows-

A round stone only-- I have other fancy shapes and really want to stick with round

An ideal cut stone
As big as possible- Hoping for 9mm +
Color as low as I
Eye clean-- My SI1 never caused me to have mind clean issues
I LOVE strong and Very Strong Fluero
About a 25k budget for the stone

Besides cut, size is most important to me at this time-- I'm not ashamed to say it! ;))

I understand about rejecting using the HCA tool, and have been looking at stones using the guidelines depth 59 and 62.3, crown 33.5 and 35, pavillion 40.6-41 and table under 60. Are these the best stats for a pricescope quality cut stone? Are there others I should use instead? I'm not sure when to request an aset (or how to read it!)

If anyone can guide me (or choose for me! :naughty: ) I would truly appreciate it!

Edited to change my cheesy subject title-- I've been spending to much time with a 5 year old!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you consider a J OEC round? Instead of a round brilliant.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-77ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-j-si1-ags-i-si1#.V9jWJa1n3IU

This is, hands down, the stone I would buy in your position. It's freaking gorgeous and so well cut it takes my breath away. And you will be shocked at how white it will appear. It gives you a GLORIOUS stone that will knock your socks off at 8.9mm under budget.

I can honestly tell you that if I had a 25k budget for ANY STONE in the world. This is the stone I'd buy.

Put it on hold ASAP.

Only thing that I would be cautious about is that girdle. I would ask Grace about having that rehabbed.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This are your options if you want I color and as close to 9mm as possible:

http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6231388835
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8660527-2.75-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=8660527&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com I can't see the images of this stone if there are any, make sure it's eyeclean.

2. http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/2.58-carat-i-vs1-excellent-round-cut-diamond-gid-797570.html 60/60 you'd want an idealscope. But it hits 9mm is I color and has great angles. It's a really nice option.

3. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.52-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-583013

4. Another 60/60 and this one is G color: http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD07517080?click_id=245537106

Make sure anything with fluorescence or grade setting clarity of clouds or twinning wisps below VS1 is checked for haziness or oiliness.

I'd go for the OEC though. Hands down.

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
I honestly don't know how I feel about an OEC instead of an MBR, I have only seen 2 in person and wasn't too thrilled with them, (My older sister--who is my exact opposite is obsessed) They didn't seem very sparkly? Granted they may have not been ideal cuts and what not, we were at an estate auction.

Now saying that-- that stone looks beautiful and so white! I've never seen a J in person... I know that I am fine with an I (especially with fluero) maybe a J isn't that big of a stretch? I will have to talk to DH and call grace. I don't want to miss on something great. I just don't know if it fits my aestetic? I have always placed OEC with simple, understated, vintage-y people, and I am not that. I am about as flashy as can be (no other way to put it. I have giant blonde and lavender hair and don't leave the house with out a full face of makeup and fake eye lashes that would make dolly parton cry) I don't want to look silly, but I may very well be ignorant to the diamond rules...

Now if I was to do an OEC is there a specific kind of setting to put it in?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Passion4diamonds|1473830841|4076250 said:
Here's a beauty at great price! I saw this today on Good Old Gold's site:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/2.55-platinum_select_round-I-AGS-H-SI1-diamond-stock-14877-cert-104054933001
It's a little smaller than 9mm but has a large table so should face up larger. Worth a look.

Hi Passion4diamonds!
Please do not perpetuate the myth that a larger table makes a diamond face up larger. That is not true. That is a nice 60/60 style stone with excellent light return. Great find! And it has 8.8 mm spread.

Best! :wavey:

Passion4diamonds

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1473831270|4076254 said:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/2.55-platinum_select_round-I-AGS-H-SI1-diamond-stock-14877-cert-104054933001
It's a little smaller than 9mm but has a large table so should face up larger. Worth a look.

Hi Passion4diamonds!
Please do not perpetuate the myth that a larger table makes a diamond face up larger. That is not true. That is a nice 60/60 style stone with excellent light return. Great find! And it has 8.8 mm spread.

My bad! I was told by people on here and in the jewelry industry that a larger table gives the stone a larger appearance face up. Either way that GOG stone is a good one! I'd inquire fast before someone else scoops it up.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Passion4diamonds|1473831587|4076255 said:

Hi Passion4diamonds!

My bad! I was told by people on here and in the jewelry industry that a larger table gives the stone a larger appearance face up. Either way that GOG stone is a good one! I'd inquire fast before someone else scoops it up.

Yeah. No. I've been trying to kill that myth, but it persists. :wavey: That's for listening. I appreciate it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1473831678|4076256 said:
Passion4diamonds|1473831587|4076255 said:

Hi Passion4diamonds!

Yeah. No. I've been trying to kill that myth, but it persists. :wavey: That's for listening. I appreciate it.

I just find that a large table gives massive table glare if you catch it at the wrong angle, meaning you lose the ability to see any of the pretty faceting within the diamond and any of the fire/scintillation it is giving off!

I think that's why the Octavia cut is so cool - small table that's part of the patterning you see when you look at it :)

Passion4diamonds

Rough_Rock
I guess she could ask GOG if this one does that. I'm sure they'd be able to provide a video for it. I know they do w lot of YouTube videos and diamond comparisons. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Passion4diamonds

Rough_Rock
devthinksnpink|1473830793|4076249 said:
I honestly don't know how I feel about an OEC instead of an MBR, I have only seen 2 in person and wasn't too thrilled with them, (My older sister--who is my exact opposite is obsessed) They didn't seem very sparkly? Granted they may have not been ideal cuts and what not, we were at an estate auction.

Now saying that-- that stone looks beautiful and so white! I've never seen a J in person... I know that I am fine with an I (especially with fluero) maybe a J isn't that big of a stretch? I will have to talk to DH and call grace. I don't want to miss on something great. I just don't know if it fits my aestetic? I have always placed OEC with simple, understated, vintage-y people, and I am not that. I am about as flashy as can be (no other way to put it. I have giant blonde and lavender hair and don't leave the house with out a full face of makeup and fake eye lashes that would make dolly parton cry) I don't want to look silly, but I may very well be ignorant to the diamond rules...

Now if I was to do an OEC is there a specific kind of setting to put it in?
Hi OP!
Curios to know what you end up with. Keep us posted.

devthinksnpink

Rough_Rock
I feel like such a brat, I was mad at DH because I gave him a list of stones recommended here and he was ignoring me. Turns out he took all the angles and advice from here, the HCA tool and an expanded budget and purchased 2 stones (and has a back up third in mind) a 3.03 and a 3.37 carat what look like beautiful stones (I'm waiting for them to get here!) I will post pictures and stats when they get here for an opinion. (DH took everything away so I don't obsess, he knows me to well)

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
devthinksnpink|1474661683|4080065 said:
I feel like such a brat, I was mad at DH because I gave him a list of stones recommended here and he was ignoring me. Turns out he took all the angles and advice from here, the HCA tool and an expanded budget and purchased 2 stones (and has a back up third in mind) a 3.03 and a 3.37 carat what look like beautiful stones (I'm waiting for them to get here!) I will post pictures and stats when they get here for an opinion. (DH took everything away so I don't obsess, he knows me to well)
Wow lucky you and a larger size stone to boot! can't wait to see pictures.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1473828478|4076239 said:
Would you consider a J OEC round? Instead of a round brilliant.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-77ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-j-si1-ags-i-si1#.V9jWJa1n3IU

This is, hands down, the stone I would buy in your position. It's freaking gorgeous and so well cut it takes my breath away. And you will be shocked at how white it will appear. It gives you a GLORIOUS stone that will knock your socks off at 8.9mm under budget.

I can honestly tell you that if I had a 25k budget for ANY STONE in the world. This is the stone I'd buy.

Put it on hold ASAP.

Only thing that I would be cautious about is that girdle. I would ask Grace about having that rehabbed.

That is an interesting and gorgeous diamond! I vote this one!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results