shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! Platinum or Yellow Gold V-prong/basket for Marquise?

Teachgirly

Rough_Rock
Re: HELP! Platinum or Yellow Gold V-prong/basket for Marquis

tyty333|1383571442|3550030 said:
How is your jeweler going to make the ring? Is he going to cast or put it together from findings?
my concern is that if he puts it together from parts that you wont be able to see it until its done and it may not
be what you had in mind. If he is going to do cads then its not a problem. I would not want any peg head
like setting and would try to find a setting that is already built so that you know what it looks like (unless they
are doing cads) .

I'm not sure I know all of this terminology yet (my first custom ring!), but I gave him pictures of the setting I like and we drew on some modifications (such as a tapering shank).

The center stone is coming in for inspection on Wed, and if it's all good, they will have the wax mold for us in a week. There will be no CAD drawings (I'm a little sad about this, but the pricing was so fair and they are local so we can talk over details in person, so we felt like it was still worth going with this jeweler). From what I understand, there will be cement, then the wax is melted creating a cavity, and then the gold is filled in. Does this sound about right? I'm not sure if it's planned to be made in pieces or not. :(

Teachgirly

Rough_Rock

Oh my goodness, I saw a ring that would definitely be a strong contender (with some stone size modifications) if we didn't just put a deposit with the jeweler to make my chosen setting!!!

As a reminder, my setting is similar to this one, but with a 0.9 ct center marquise, yellow gold band, and platinum prongs/baskets for the diamonds:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/vatche-round-and-pear-3-stone-engagement-ring-2357.htm

Take a look!

I just adore the indentations on the shank going up to the stones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elegant-Three-Stone-Marquise-Cut-Diamond-14K-Yellow-Gold-Engagement-Ring-/130963151509?nma=true&si=%252BUCbFBbgfqVEZXivUkqRWgG8PAk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

(You'll need to scroll down to see it) The detail in the shank looks so exquisite to me!

So here's the question:

Would you modify the shank in my setting to include the indentations (is that what they're called?), or do you think they look so lovely in this picture because of the white gold "bands" between the side round diamonds and the shank? (I think it reminds me of elegant valances, lol)

If you think this would be a nice addition to my setting, do you know how much more work this would be for the jeweler? Approx how much more would be fair of him to ask for the modification? Would this add more time to making the ring? (If we approve the center stone this Wed, the wax mold will be ready by next week!)

Please help!!! Now I'm really confused! Must be fully decided by this Wednesday... YIKES!!!!!

Teachgirly

Rough_Rock

Ok, I think most of this confusion/indecisiveness was brought on by last minute jitters since the "final decision" needs to be made in less than 48 hours!

After thinking about it more, I decided to go with my original feelings on what looks best to me on my hand: white metal with diamonds and yellow gold with colored gemstones.

So even though I found this new, beautiful ring, when I look at the original setting I found, I still adore it as is. :) The setting is captivating, and the simple shank compliments it without pulling the eye away from the main attraction. I'm going to go with all platinum. Thank you all for your input!

As for this beautifully elegant ring...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elegant-Three-Stone-Marquise-Cut-Diamond-14K-Yellow-Gold-Engagement-Ring-/130963151509?nma=true&si=%252BUCbFBbgfqVEZXivUkqRWgG8PAk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'm thinking it might become the inspiration for my wedding ring (as a RHR)! Before seeing it, I figured I would just pick something already created since I was lucky enough to do a custom engagement ring (what a guy for letting me be part of the whole experience!) Well, that was a nice thought while it lasted! :D

Although the two-tonedness of this ring with the diamonds is just beautiful, making it as is (with marquise/diamonds) would be too similar to my engagement ring. I was already thinking about having a wedding band with gemstones (preferably one color or two if they aren't alternating), but maybe this can be worked into the design?

Possibly inspired by this one as well to replace the marquise and round side stones (possibly with pink sapphire instead of ruby)...
http://applesofgold.com/PRR3236RB.html

Thoughts? :)

Nymphettamine

Rough_Rock

So you want a wedding ring with marquise stones? I think a great design would be to alternate marquise with round. :) but very small. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results