shape
carat
color
clarity

help picking out a diamond....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

agfootball06

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a diamond for around 3-4 thousand. With my limited knowledge on diamonds, I have come up with an idea of what I am looking for. The only factor I am 100% sure of is I am looking for a princes cut. The reset is where I get a little confused, but this is what I have come up with:
Cut: good-very good
Clarity: S1-VS1
Color: I-F
Carat: 1-1.25
My main goal is to find a diamond that is eye clean, not to yellow, and a good size carat. I want to get something nice but I would like it to be at least 1 carat. Please let me know if this is going to be possible. Any help is appreciated.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well....the bigger size will be hard to hit with those parameters unless you compromise on cut, which I really really suggest you don't. A poorly cut stone (which might even mean a stone graded as a "good" cut) won't sparkle as much as an ideal cut.

If you stick with I stones you can hit the 1 carat mark.

I would stick to AGS0 stones and go from there. They are the absolute BEST cut with the BEST light performance. And an amazingly cut princess will look sooooo much brighter and bigger than a slightly bigger poorly cut princess.

Here is a good choice that would be within your budget with the pricescope and wire transfer discounts (you need to ask for them). If it's eyeclean, it's a great choice:

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-78249.htm

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would check out Whiteflash.com and GoodOldGold.com. They both have great princess cuts that are extremely well cut. The cut is the most important factor by far in determining how well the diamond will perform.

I did a quick search on Whiteflash.com and it looks like a 1 carat excellent cut princess (Whiteflash calls them "A Cut Above") starts at about $4300. Here''s the address:

http://whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-78249.htm

(From what I saw, GoodOldGold.com''s selection was much smaller than Whiteflash''s and GoodOldGold''s start at around the same price.)

If you mention that you are a Pricescope member and pay by wire transfer you can get up to a 5% discount. You didn''t mention the setting but you can get a simple white gold setting for $200 at Whiteflash.com.

Hope this helps!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

agfootball06

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. Both post sent me to the same diamond. I went to jarreds today; let’s just say that is not where I am going to be getting the ring. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I did a search with the settings on the diamond yall sent me to on pricescope, and came up with a lot of vendors. Some where cheaper some were not. Are there any other vendors that you would suggest using? Unforchantly price is a big factor right now; (just graduated from college and have other plans also, like buying a house in the next year) so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2007 7:19:05 PM
Author: agfootball06
Thanks for the advice. Both post sent me to the same diamond. .... so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1) Try not to sacrifice on the quality of the cut
2) Hard to settle for less than AGS0, given (1), and despite what may have been your bad experience at jareds...maybe you saw some there? Reportedly, they carry them. What did you think.
3) If you''re saying both my posts sent you to the same diamond...look again. They share lots of details in common, including color, clarity & price, but have different certificate numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results