shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Pave fell out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jumbo

Rough_Rock
I stuck my fiance''s ring (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wf-wax.52436/) into a SI ultrasonic for 10 min on the lowest setting. Well, one of the pave set diamonds fell out!!!! Luckily, i found the tiny little thing still in the cleaner and used tweezers to pull it out. Should I send it back to WF or should I take it to a local jeweler? My fiance doesn''t want to send it back to WF since it''ll probably take several days to weeks to get back (depending on how busy they are).

P.S. not only did the US pop out one of the rocks, it didn''t really clean the ring! I used windex, hot water, and dish soap, but it was still dirty.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Uh oh! I don''t think you are supposed to put pave rings in the Ultra sonic, but I may be wrong. I would send it back to Whiteflash, unless you have a local jeweler that you trust to fix it.

*M*

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I learned my lesson after I put my mom''s pave ring into my US and one of the little diamond fell out... So I bought a cleaning porduct called "gemcare" to clean the pave ring now....

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Oops! Call Whiteflash and see what they recommend. This is a relatively NEW ring, so I think I''d want all of the pave checked by the manufacturer, in addition to having the ring fixed. What a pain.

It''s difficult to say whether the ultrasonic did the damage or if the diamond was loose to start with. I''m glad the stone fell out in the cleaner and you could retrieve it, rather than losing it down the drain or something.

Jumbo

Rough_Rock
I emailed WF to see what they can do. I did take it to a local jeweler to see what might have gone wrong and he claims that it either wasn''t set properly or that my fiance bumped it on something hard. It''s just a PITA to have to see my fiance suffer without her ring. Ever since she''s had it, she can''t stop staring at it and absolutely dreads the fact that it''ll be out of her sight for more than 8 hours (takes it off when she sleeps).

If it goes back to WF, then I can at least try to get a wax done of a matching band. I guess it might be a good thing.

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
I''m not totally sure on this, but won''t you void the WF warranty if you have it repaired at a local jeweler? I know it will be hard to send it away, but if it were me, I''d want to make sure I kept the WF warranty in place for as long as possible.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, whatta disappointment! I am sooooo sorry.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Please keep us posted on what you end up doing.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I have a pave ring from WF also and I wouldn''t want anyone else touching/working on it. I would certainly send it back. The person I worked with told me not to use an US or to have it steam cleaned.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 3:16:55 PM
Author: jazmine
I have a pave ring from WF also and I wouldn''t want anyone else touching/working on it. I would certainly send it back. The person I worked with told me not to use an US or to have it steam cleaned.
what sort of pave do you have? I''ve read many times here that if it is done correctly both of those methods of cleaning would be fine... does the type of pave make a difference? is yours particularly delicate?

BTW to the OP I''d send it to them - two birds with one stone :)

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 2:21:02 PM
Author: grapegravity
I learned my lesson after I put my mom''s pave ring into my US and one of the little diamond fell out... So I bought a cleaning porduct called ''gemcare'' to clean the pave ring now....

I love gemcare! Sorry I can''t help with wear to send the ring, but after you do that invest in some gemcare, or a similar cleaning product. I have a SI ultrasonic and prefer the gemcare over it for all my jewelry. One tip for cleaning is to run the rings under hot water after you''ve soaked it or put it in the ultrasonic. For me, it made a big difference.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AN ultrasonic can pop an already loose. but not noticed, pave'' diamond out of a ring. It cannot pop out a diamond that was set under the beads securely. Only a diamond that was not set securely or only held in by dirt will come out. It could be a sign that there was a bit of damage to the setting work at that location, that the diamond had chipped, that it never was set right, or that it had revolved and found a looser position and was ready to then fall out anyway.

Soaking a dirty ring in a hot cleaning solution is a good way to loosen the dirt and not lose so many stones. An ultrasonic does highlight a problem that already exists, but rarely creates problems. The Ultrasonic waves are not nearly that strong.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 3:30:13 PM
Author: colorkitty

I love gemcare! Sorry I can''t help with wear to send the ring, but after you do that invest in some gemcare, or a similar cleaning product. I have a SI ultrasonic and prefer the gemcare over it for all my jewelry. One tip for cleaning is to run the rings under hot water after you''ve soaked it or put it in the ultrasonic. For me, it made a big difference.
Colorkitty:
Could you please give me a link for the Gemcare products... I have heard about it, but don''t know a THING about it... where to get it... even exactly WHAT it is!!! Thanks!
Lynn

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Even though it might take a long time to get your ring back, I would only send it to WF to have it fixed. If anyone else works on it this will void the warantee.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear that a stone fell out of that gorgeous ring, but at least you found it! I''ve been cleaning my pave ring in the ultrasonic every week for nearly two years and I''ve never lost a stone. These things can happen though. I would agree with the others though to send it back to Whiteflash to make sure that it is repaired correctly.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 4:00:20 PM
Author: Lynn B

Date: 1/15/2007 3:30:13 PM
Author: colorkitty

Colorkitty:
Could you please give me a link for the Gemcare products... I have heard about it, but don''t know a THING about it... where to get it... even exactly WHAT it is!!! Thanks!
Lynn
I just decided to look for myself and found this

http://www.gemcare.net/

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Jazmine,
THANKS so much!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results