shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP - Oval 1.53 ct diamond EGL cert

Isabelle1989

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I’m after some advice please, I placed a deposit on this oval diamond yesterday in Hatton Garden and now these carbon spots are really playing on my mind & the fact that it’s EGL cert rather than GIA (which I wasn’t made aware of until the final moment)

In the shop I was sold by the size of the oval compared to many other 1.5ct that were of much smaller dimensions.

I am a complete novice and will probably never sell the ring and am over thinking everything as it’s a significant amount of money & have been googling about EGL and read they are renowned for being too lenient with their gradings - I just want to make sure I’m not being taken for a complete ride!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! B0CF0E11-8E10-489A-99AF-5582F5CAD3C5.jpeg C36A1714-A96F-4CD3-9F39-5D4DBB553570.png 595AE79D-1EEB-449F-89BB-9FC19B7DB0D0.jpeg 457271FD-9D8B-4B66-A64F-A333D9B38110.png

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As you’ve discovered, EGL is not reputable and is known for lenient grading, so this is not a D SI2 by GIA standards. Maybe more like an F-G I1-I2, which is a pretty included diamond and not likely to be eye clean. The inclusions could even pose durability issues in diamonds with such low clarity. You compromised size for clarity and if it was priced accordingly (meaning well below a GIA graded diamond), you weren’t necessarily taken for a ride. Unfortunately, much like car dealers, many jewelers (particularly mall/chain jewelers) thrive on uneducated buyers making emotional, often spur of the moment purchases. Personally, the fact that it is EGL graded and not eye clean would be a deal breaker for me. If a refund is possible, I’d recommend you consider it. The PSers here can help you find something of better quality. GL

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you get your money back? Not sure how much you paid but the stone doesnt look all that nice to me.

Isabelle1989

Rough_Rock
I know they definitely offer exchange, I will probably have to argue for a refund

it was £8250 for the stone & micro-pave setting

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know they definitely offer exchange, I will probably have to argue for a refund

it was £8250 for the stone & micro-pave setting

I know very little about ovals, so can’t help with suggestions. But a quick search of BlueNile’s UK site reveals you can get a much better GIA graded oval in the 1.5ct range for that price. If they refuse to refund and only offer an exchange, you can post the GIA reports here along with clear pics and videos and the oval experts will chime in.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get a much better stone for the price. I would cancel the order and get a refund

Isabelle1989

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! I took your advice and asked them to source me another stone .. I’ll no doubt be back for some more advice when they send me them over - really appreciate it!!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Oval is a pretty shape on your hand. Hope you can find a nice one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results