shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on red spinel

ade

Rough_Rock
I've been looking at 2 red spinels. The lab report came back as orange pink, for the piece i picked at 1.3 ct (smaller piece in the photos). I don't have major concern over the colour.
But is concern about the value of the gem seen I was quote based on red spinel and it seems to have lazy facets. Please share your thoughts and experience. Thanks alot! Spinel 2.jpeg spinel 3.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-12-05 at 11.01.50 PM.jpeg spinel 4.jpeg

Attachments

• Spinel 1.jpeg
    Spinel 1.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 10

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want to have this moved to the color stone forum. You'll probably get more input over there...

(this is the Show me the Bling forum where you show off your jewels)

ade

Rough_Rock
You might want to have this moved to the color stone forum. You'll probably get more input over there...

(this is the Show me the Bling forum where you show off your jewels)

opps! thanks for the advise!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
In my opinion beautiful color is in the eye of the beholder. If you like the color and the price, buy it! But as to value, the reds that have fluorescence tend to be more valuable. But value is subjective. I have lots of colored stones that I live for that are a far cry from the trade ideal color (such as my avatar sapphire). But I buy what makes my heart sing, and you should too.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Vivid orange pink, red orange (flame), hot pink, straight red are all sort after colours in spinels. I wouldnt worry. The most sort after are jedi and namya material which tends to do both hot pink and vivid red.

But look for lack of flourescence, brown tones in the stone, window (coloured stones arent cut for exact facet patterns but you shouldnt be able to see through the stone when you stare straight down through the table). These all effect value. Look also for no treatment (no oiling) and clarity (no eye visable large inclusions).

For this stone I have to say Id guess at no flourescence, it just looks like it has some brown in it which makes me wonder about iorn content. Youd need a uv pen to tell properly though.
Looks to have a small window, but it closes on setting. Take desertrose_gems and finewatergems as points for price comparison.

Look out fof inclusions in red spinel -- a bunch of the burmese stuff can be pretty included. Mahenge stuff has been mostly off the market due to some issues with mining rights/export.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results