shape
carat
color
clarity

Help on Colour Change Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

r1noa

Rough_Rock
My friend offers me to sell his colour change sapphire ring for USD 10,000.-
It has a very strong colour change from kashmir blue to amethyst purple.
The colour are very beautiful, much better than in the picture. I just cant get the colour in my picture, especially the purple.

r1noa

Rough_Rock
The Blue

P1000626 .JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid the picture did not show up. What is the carat weight and measurements?

ETA
I see it now. Thank you.

r1noa

Rough_Rock
Purple

P1000633 .JPG

r1noa

Rough_Rock
The Sert

r1noa

Rough_Rock
Sorry, The sert

P1000637 .jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any notes on the cert indicating treatment or lack thereof? I don't see any. I'm sorry, but that cert doesn't look like a lab I recognize, and it should not be called "alexandrite sapphire."

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, a 6 ct cc sapphire. Are you getting it? I presume the setting is included in the price or is it separate?

r1noa

Rough_Rock
Another Purple.

P1000642 .JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 11:29:43 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Are there any notes on the cert indicating treatment or lack thereof? I don''t see any. I''m sorry, but that cert doesn''t look like a lab I recognize, and it should not be called ''alexandrite sapphire.''
You bring up good points. I do not know this lab but by peering closely, it looks like it is based in Indonesia.

r1noa

Rough_Rock
I find it very weird too that they write alexandrite sapphire there. But the lab is one of the most reputable one in Indonesia.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a small website about this lab. I just rather send it to a more reputable lab like the real AGL. I don''t like how they closely mimic the acronym, and it''s a totally different lab. The reason I''m cautious is because there is a lot of synthetic color change sapphire out there, and you should get a cert from a highly reputable lab.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 11:34:08 PM
Author: r1noa
I find it very weird too that they write alexandrite sapphire there. But the lab is one of the most reputable one in Indonesia.
If it is, how come they don''t even talk about treatment on the cert? I guess for me, a lab report isn''t complete without knowing the type of treatment, which can significantly affect the value of a stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 11:35:37 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I found a small website about this lab. I just rather send it to a more reputable lab like the real AGL. I don''t like how they closely mimic the acronym, and it''s a totally different lab. The reason I''m cautious is because there is a lot of synthetic color change sapphire out there, and you should get a cert from a highly reputable lab.
Ditto. When I first glanced at the cert, I just saw the words AGL and thought it was THE AGL we are familiar with.

r1noa

Rough_Rock
On the bottom right of the sert, u can see (NH).
N - No Enhancement
H - Heat Treatment.

I find that this lab always assume heat treatment for all sapphire, unless u personally request to check for that.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is he selling you the stone in the mounting, or the stone by itself, because that mounting looks to be very expensive.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2009 11:38:46 PM
Author: r1noa
On the bottom right of the sert, u can see (NH).
N - No Enhancement
H - Heat Treatment.

I find that this lab always assume heat treatment for all sapphire, unless u personally request to check for that.
Well if it''s a heated 6 carat authentic color change sapphire of very good color change, and you''re also getting the ring, I think it''s a great price. I''m not a sapphire expert, so hopefully someone else will chime in on that. I''m just always skeptical of anything that is "too good to be true," but sometimes they are.
9.gif

r1noa

Rough_Rock
He is selling me the whole ring. I assure you the The lab has very good reputation in Indonesia.
i have been to the lab many times to make sertificate for my gems.
I myself own some alexandrite chrysoberyl, but this sapphire has a much better colour change among all alexandrite chrysoberyl that i ever see.
The problem is that i have never see a colour change sapphire before so i dont know anything about this stone, especially the price.
i would like to know the level of rarity for this kind of quality sapphire.
is 10 k worth it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a side view of the ring? What is the total carat weight of the diamonds? There looks to be quite a lot of diamonds. I'm trying to work out the cost of the setting and stone separately to see if the price is reasonable.

r1noa

Rough_Rock
Side view 1

P1000643 .JPG

r1noa

Rough_Rock
Side view 2

P1000648 .JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a very interesting cut on the cc sapphire. Almost dome-like crown with a tiny table. The ring is also encrusted with the diamonds which I expect would be at least half the total cost. Do you have any idea of the total carat weight? Do you know the quality of the diamonds? This looks to be getting a little too complicated to guess based on pictures over the internet. Is there an independent appraiser local to you? I suggest hiring their services for a more accurate estimate.

r1noa

Rough_Rock
The diamond on top of the ring is quite big and good quality, but the side diamond are small n not that good. i dont klnow about the total carat.
Plz dont worry so much about the diamond and the ring. i myself can estimate the price of the ring n diamond.
when buying rings, i always give very small price for the ring. i will give this ring without the stone USD 1500.
My main concern is the sapphire. Thanks.

r1noa

Rough_Rock
The stone measurements is 10.14 x 8.63 x 7.38 mm. Thanks.

r1noa

Rough_Rock
So, do you think this beautiful gemstone is worth USD 8,500.-
And Please leave some comment on the level of this quality CC Sapphire?

r1noa

Rough_Rock
Sorry, Please leave some comment on the level of rarity of this quality CC Sapphire?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Some online sellers have nice looking cc sapphires in sizes of up to 4 carats or so, but the price is rarely higher than about 500$ per carat, so I''m not sure if the stone in question is worth that much. But then again, I''m no expert, so make sure to ask some jeweller for opinion.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you think it''s about $8500 without the setting for a 6 ct cc sapphire, I would consider that to be on the expensive side.

r1noa

Rough_Rock
I have decided not to buy the ring. Thank you all very much for the advice.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you have a good gemologist nearby, that would be helpful in these kinds of situations - an independent appraisal would at least give you a general idea of value. Oh well, maybe for future purchases...
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results