shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! New ring with open feather - should I return it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KikiKalena

Rough_Rock
This is my first post here. I just discovered this web site and it's an awesome source of information, although I am overwhelmed. My hubby & I don't know much at all about diamonds, but I have been trying to educate myself quickly. He surprised me this Christmas with a 2.01 carat diamond solitaire, set in a platinum ring. He bought it from a Mall/Outlet store. It came with a little card from the IGI that lists these stats:

Shape/Cut: Round brilliant cut
Measurement: 8.21 - 8.25 X 4.55 mm
Weight: Est by formula 2.01 carats
Color: Near colorless (G-H)
Clarity: I(1)/I(2)
Polish/Symmetry: good/good
Comments: Graded as mounting permits. Meas. approx. This certificate is for authentification purposes.

I love the size and it really sparkles with fire. With my naked eye, I can't see the inclusions from the top, but from the side if I look very closely, they are visible. I have an inexpensive loupe at home and when I looked at it, it sure does have a lot of black inclusions. I was amazed at how pretty this diamond is with all these inclusions and how I couldn't see them with my naked eyes.

But, since I have read some posts on inclusions and especially regarding feathers, I became really worried. There is a open feather that I can feel with my finger nail. It starts near the girdle and goes up through the side facets (I think they are called kite facets) to the table. With the loupe you can clearly see a crack reaching the surface. Is this really a big structural problem?

This store does not give refunds, only exchanges for 10 days. My time is running out! I have until Jan 2!
23.gif
He paid $7,705.00 for it, and thought it was a good price. He also said that the store's loupe was not as good as the one I have, a $5 eBay plastic loupe made in China.

Now I know you are all gonna tell me to run as fast as I can to return it, but I do love having a 2 carat ring. And to my unsophisticated eyes, is beautiful, as long as you don't look at it with a loupe. My husband told me to take it back, but I'm sure I won't find one as big for the same money. Ad we are stuck with this store. The whole thing is very intimidating.

Please HELP me.............
39.gif
33.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Can you get it to an independent appraiser tomorrow? (Assuming that you only have until Sunday to return it!) I''d want a professional opinion about that "crack."

KikiKalena

Rough_Rock
I guess I could find an appraiser. Does anyone have any tips on finding a good one? Should I go with a jewelry store who appraises or with a more "general" appraiser?

Thank you for the reply.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
It''s best to go with an independent appraiser but since you only have 24 hours, maybe a reputable gemologist at a well-regarded local jeweler''s can help you. I'' d just go in and say you got it as a gift, were concerned about the feather and ask what he/she thinks....

If you love the stone, and don''t care about the inclusions (who walks aorund with a loupe anway?), and the feather is not a risk, then just enjoy it. you could always go back to the store and see what they say but it sounds like you really love it.
1.gif

KikiKalena

Rough_Rock
I just got off the phone with a jewelry store who does appraisals. He is booked and couldn''t do it after the new year, which would be too late for me. He said that an appraisal wouldn''t really help me because I already have the stats on the diamond and I am aware of the problems with it. He does the appraisals for mostly insurance purposes. He said that the feather, (Looks more like a crack to me) could grow and thus, could change the clarity rating to a lower level.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMO I would return it. The feather, or crack is going to bother you in the long run. Best of luck let us know what happens!!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
If it were just the inclusions, I''d probably be okay with it, but the crack scares me. Only you know if you can live with it. Make sure to insure it if you decide to keep it. Then enjoy it!

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
If you have an "open" feather, where the feather reaches the surface of the diamond, I suggest that you return it... If you were not told that the feather broke the surface when you bought it, you have a case for getting your money back... despite their return policy. If he paid through CC you are definitely in luck. Simply stop payment after you return the ring and get your "credit".

If a deal is too good to be true, then it probably isn''t such a great deal!

If you want to bluff, say you took the diamond to an appraiser and he told you that IT WILL CRACK. This is probably the truth, so its a good card to play.

If you really MUST keep the diamond (you''d be crazy to), get it insured.

KikiKalena

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/30/2004 5
6.gif
6.gif
8 PM
Author: nicknomo
If you have an ''open'' feather, where the feather reaches the surface of the diamond, I suggest that you return it... If you were not told that the feather broke the surface when you bought it, you have a case for getting your money back... despite their return policy. If he paid through CC you are definitely in luck. Simply stop payment after you return the ring and get your ''credit''.

If a deal is too good to be true, then it probably isn''t such a great deal!

If you want to bluff, say you took the diamond to an appraiser and he told you that IT WILL CRACK. This is probably the truth, so its a good card to play.

If you really MUST keep the diamond (you''d be crazy to), get it insured.
Yikes.........I don''t think they mentioned anything about a feather breaking the surface to him. He paid with cash, I believe. I just tried to call him on his cell to get more info about this. I also discovered another small feather, (or a natural?) on the girdle. Looks like a nick or chip with a little line on the girdle. I''m getting more nervous...
32.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Why do people do business with stores that don''t have GENEROUS return policies????

It''s like the Caribbean Sellers who write appraisals for what they sell, but when the customer becomes dissatisfied they demand an Independent Appraiser.

NOTE: The reverse side of the sales order most commonly used in the Caribbean is a contract... and an unreasonable one.

You can''t return a stone based on price.... and for quality mis-representation the stone has to be MORE THAN ONE GRADE OFF... So if they give you an SI-2 on paper, and the independent says its an I-1 - tough you''re stuck You''d need an I-2 or two color grades lower to return the item.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results